• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 flagtrax OFFLINE  

flagtrax

• Member No: 8379
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 09:55 PM

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I Live in Flagstaff at about 7k feet, cool temps, and more snow to push than grass to cut. I picked up a Kubota L245DT a couple years ago and found it to be a really strong little tractor. Then I came across a deal for 2 craftsman tractors. One I fixed up and sold the other I kept around to tinker with, and used it to pull with. Just last month I came across a Craftsman GTV 16 that followed me home. Other than some surface rust and rotted tires, it was in pretty good running condition. The varidrive worked well, so I put new tires on it, a new battery and seat (robbed from the LT11/12. I plan to restore it to as close to original as I can. Research tells me already that attachments are very hard to find. I found a couple mower decks back east, but the cost of shipping is prohibitive. So I may need to fabricate. The original used a mule drive to run the deck, and I'm wondering what the general thoughts of all you gurus out there are. I'm wondering about the feasibility of powering a pto shaft from the front pulley that ran the mule drive or perhaps running via some sort of hydraulic driven set up.... Thoughts anyone? all are welcome. This is a work in progress even though "she who must be obeyed" has already laid claim to it............

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 09:59 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, glad you joined us. If you have time to post some pictures of what you are working on, we may be able to help you better. Again Welcome.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 10:11 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk.

It's getting harder to find some of the attachments, but if you could post up the whole model number (917._____), we may be able to help further. That, and the aforementioned pictures.

Thanks for the intro

#4 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 11:23 PM

welcome!

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,509 Thanks
  • 5,028 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 12:25 AM

:wave: Welcome :wave:
If you are serious about running with a hydraulic drive, its important to remember they generate a lot of heat. You will need install an adequate oil cooler.
Good luck with your project!

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 05:21 AM

flagtrax,welcome to the forum,glad to have you with us.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 05:43 AM

Welcome, flagtrax. I am also a GTV/16 owner. Did you find the manual for it? Just in case, here is a link: Craftsman Garden Tractor GTV16 917.253724 - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums
I have a mule drive for mine, but no PTO due to the repower (Onan). No deck either. I think some of the Craftsman II decks will fit if they are close in years.
I just picked up a "new" hood and grille for mine. Hope to get them on when the weather gets better. I am also working up a 3-point for it here: http://gardentractor...-3-point-11922/

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 07:32 AM

Welcome to Gttalk flagtrax, hope you find the forum as enjoyable as the rest of us. I happen to own a GT18 (GT6000) Craftsman II, and it was missing the mower deck when I bought it. However, I don't buy my tractors to mow with so I just started adding to it.. sleeve hitch, winch lift, car alternator, truck electrical parts, total rewire, new wheels and tires are next. Then I have to finish the front winch bumper... see what happens LOL. I wish you luck in building your GTV16 into the tractor you want and need it to be.

#9 flagtrax OFFLINE  

flagtrax

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome all. Kenny there are a couple of people on the east cost, one in Atlanta area and one in the Philly area that have GTV16s they're parting out. I'd go for a deck but shipping is overwhelming. I think their adds are still on Craigslist. Mine is a model 917.253725; with the B&S opposing twin 16hp horizontal shaft engine. Kenny, I did find the manual for the xxx724 and can't see much difference if any. I have the sleeve hitch on it but that's about it. So far I've done a bit of cleanup, and confiscated the seat and battery I bought last year for the LT11 I picked up. Not sure what I'm going to do with that one, but i think a deck may be easier to find for it. I put ag's on the GTV16 and some turf front tires, and that's about it. I plan to break it down, and sand blast all the rust away before spring, while keeping my eyes open for any way to add attachments. I've seen a couple Mule drives on Ebay but when I question the sellers they tell me they won't fit this model. But you never know when something will pop up.

gtv16 (4).jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• gtv16 (3).jpg
  • gtv16 (1).jpg
  • gtv16 (2).jpg
  • GTV16.jpg

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 05:56 AM

That's a really clean looking GTV 16, great score on it. I love my C2 with it's 18 HP opposed twin. If your's doesn't start easily but you think it runs great, yank the carb and clean it up, it will start and purr. Since you have a sleeve hitch and ags I wouldn't worry about a mower deck, but that's just me. Great machine, thanks for sharing.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 07:44 AM

Nice looking GTV. You might want to look into an electrolysis for removing the rust. Got a couple of threads going on that process. Here is a good one: http://gardentractor...al-system-1520/

Here's a couple shots of mine:
Image008.jpg
The last pic is the new hood and grille I got for it. Hope to get it prettied up this spring.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image007.jpg
  • Image005.jpg

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 07:45 AM

flagtrax,good looking tractor.

#13 flagtrax OFFLINE  

flagtrax

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 06:27 PM

Thanks all! I hope to keep it going as long as I can. It starts easy enough choked, but even warmed up it still needs a bit of choke. I will clean that carb as I move along with it. I figure on breaking it down as much as I can for restoration and paint. I'll tear into the carb when I can't use it :smilewink: . As I plan paint, I've been given instructions by "she who has claimed it". This is her idea of a tractor paint job. Being from "da Burgh" originally and she from West (by God) Virginia, it's hard to argue. :rofl2: .
gtv16 (3)edit3 copy.jpg

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 06:40 PM

Looks great to me, but don't you want it more like my Craftsman GT18? :bigrofl:

Attached Thumbnails

• Caterpillarplowing2.jpg

#15 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 03:59 PM

Well I am going to wisely keep my nose out of the paint issue!!!! But I will give you a hardy welcome. :)