wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 11:54 PM

Very good Alan. Glad you got it running.

#32 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 11:59 PM

Very good Alan. Glad you got it running.

Not running yet, just spark. I know I'm exited about a little blue arc, but with the odds stacked against it, glad to see it.

#33 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 12:01 AM

Spark is half the battle, if you throw gas in it at this point it will fire off a few times and that is an offer, next best thing to running lol.

#34 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 10:58 PM

Progress report.
Got the flywheel off. Had to use heat to get the nut loose, but it's all good. Then I cleaned all the goop out of there.

Took the bearing cover off and determined that I needed about 10 thousandths of shim. My wife and I are looking at a vehicle purchase so 10 minutes after telling her to watch the pennies, asking to go to the bearing supply place would not have gone well...

I took a pop can, cut it open and measured. 3 thou. Cut 3 shims out of it, put them in and I'm much happier. I probably could have done a 4th, but I would rather "acceptably worn in" than "overly tight" in this case.

Someday, someone is going to open this engine & see 3 shims cut out of a Diet Coke can. I can hear them now. In hind-sight, I should have used a beer can.

#35 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 11:34 PM

Alan, I have had very pricey pieces of processing equipment apart and used the very same thing to shim gear sets and bearings costing several thousands of dollars. You could have went and spent 40 bucks on a shim pack and got the same thing you got when you cut the can up, sheet aluminum. Way to Go Buddy, Good Job!!:thumbs:

#36 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 08:26 PM

Modified a Massey carb enough to get noise out of the engine. It runs and sounds good. Maybe a little smoke, but that could be all the carb cleaner and whatnot.

It's ALIVE. Whahahaha!

Now onto getting the scale out of the gas tank.

#37 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 08:36 PM

Just read all your thread. Neat find on the bucket. Good deal that you got it running!

#38 Hugh OFFLINE  

Hugh

• Member No: 1954
  • 155 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 01:58 AM

Hugh, I forget, did you have a tote as well as James?

Nope, that is just the result of some googling. :smile1:

#39 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 03:08 PM

Alan,
Just wondering if you had a chance to look at your RotoSpade? I am picking up a model number 917.251981 in a week or so along with a SS16, spare Onan engine, front blade and three point lift. I am not sure if the PO is calling the lift arms and such from the tiller part of the three point lift or if he has all four of the lift arms.

The Sears parts site shows that all but a few nuts and bolts are no longer available. I did a search on the site and could not find anything on them.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by GTTinkerer, February 16, 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#40 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 11:34 PM

Alan,
Just wondering if you had a chance to look at your RotoSpade? I am picking up a model number 917.251981 in a week or so along with a SS16, spare Onan engine, front blade and three point lift. I am not sure if the PO is calling the lift arms and such from the tiller part of the three point lift or if he has all four of the lift arms.

The Sears parts site shows that all but a few nuts and bolts are no longer available. I did a search on the site and could not find anything on them.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill, no news yet... I haven't even had the time to trip over it, let alone work on it. I wish I had, think it may be savable.

#41 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 07:38 PM

I did take the time to put the engine on the frame & wire the starter & shutoff. It fired up on the 3rd revolution and ran like a champ... except for a little low end noise. Rats.

I didn't hear it when I was testing it in the garage, but out in the open , with a muffler on it... I can hear it.

I am going to leave it alone for right now. It runs, it's not in any danger of flying apart & the only thing it will do is drive from the trailer to the parking space at the show and back onto the trailer. I will get the bottom end fixed someday, but it will have to wait till next fall.

Front tire and seat are found, just awaiting pickup and installation.

GEDC2185.JPG GEDC2184.JPG

#42 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Finally got a chance Sunday to put a working carb and newer tines on the 3 point Rotospader. It was a long couple of days before I had a chance to try it out.

Here is the short video, I had Ryan filming, so hang onto your lunch... but the other video is 7 minutes long and an upload for another evening.

This thing really throws dirt even at mid throttle. Kinda glad it has as much shield as it does.
  • KennyP said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears ss10, 3 point tiller, sears tiller, roto spader