9 replies to this topic

#1 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hi folks, looking at a 990 hydro and have a couple of questions..do they have a difflock, or LSD on them? also are they good for pulling trailers etc, 16HP should be good enough and with ags on the back im hoping will pull a fair heavy load? or is it better to wait on a geared one.
Much obliged..

#2 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 02:03 PM

As far as I know they have a limited slip differential. They have the same rear end as the ford LGT's and I know the fords have limited slip.

Ags that will fit are very expensive and hard to come by, some have switched to a 5 bolt wheel horse hub so they could use a more common rim and have better tire options.

I never worked my 990 before I took it apart to refresh, but I have seen where a lot of guys work theirs really hard.
  • Sam said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 04:08 PM

Maybe "olcowhand" can answer your questions if you still have any. Daniel has a 990 and know a good bit about them.
  • Sam said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 04:56 PM

It would probably do just fine but you may want to wait for something with a dif lock and maybe hi/low range to make sure you won't have trouble. There is a geared version (960) which is slightly smaller . I think it uses the Peerless 2300 rear end/transmission so it wouldn't have a dif lock either.
  • Sam said thank you

#5 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Thanks all, a limited slip will do just fine i think, its got to be better than the Husqvarna im using at the moment...

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 05:41 PM

Pulling power is NOT a problem! I prefer hydro when pulling heavy loads, as they have infinite speed control, whereas gear is only controlled by the throttle setting or slipping the clutch, which neither is as good as being able to keep the engine in it's powerband and changing speed at will. They are all supposed to be limited slip.
  • Sam and tractorgarden have said thanks

#7 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 06:22 PM

I regularly have to pull a small trailer loaded with soil, gravel or whatever on uneven ground, i have two choices of machine for this..a Husqvarna (lawnmower) which has plenty power but no traction and a Snapper zero turn which has plenty power..but no traction, its also pretty deadly on side slopes as it always wants to point downhill, which is fair enough when cutting grass but a real pita when you have a trailer hooked up.. i think i am confident now that a 990 is going to be 100 times better than what i use atm, thanks.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Fluid fill the rear tires, and add wheel weights as well. It'll pull like crazy!

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 08:02 PM

If everything is working correctly on the 990, it will be FAR better than either of your two other choices.

As stated, they have limited slip, hi/lo range, larger rear tires, and very strong engines.
  • Sam said thank you

#10 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thanks again all but it looks like i wont be getting it, ahh well theres always a next time..