coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 10:09 PM

I got my first Case. Its a 73-74 220. A local guy that closed shop was hauling off his scrap, mostly box store stuff. A buddy of mine was helping him and saw the 220 and gave me a call. The price was just right for sight unseen so I pulled the trigger and bought it.

I went and picked it up the 14th. He had stuff every where and this was after cleaning up for two weeks straight. He worked on mostly newer stuff but he a has a few old things around too. No more GTs though. I will try and get back to get some pics of stuff he wants to sell. it will be a few weeks.

The guy said he thought the 220 needed a valve job. so when I got it home i pulled the carb and head. Somebody has "played" with this before. Some of the spacers that go on the head studs were missing and replaced with oversized nuts. Not to mention how the starter/gen was wired up! Anyway, got the head off and found the intake valve stuck open. Two taps later and it was working just fine. I put the head back on to keep thr rain out and started sorting out the wiring. Got that figured out and few other little things and went to put the spark plug back in. I found the threads stripped out of the head. So thus ended the weekend on the 220.

This past weekend I got a "save a thread" kit for the spark plug. I got it installed and the carb cleaned up. I torqued the head and install the carb and gave her a shot of carb cleaner to see if it would fire. Very long story short, after several hours of checking stuff, scratching head, bad words, nasty looks, I finally figure out NON FLAMMABLE CARB CLEANER will not make fire in a cylinder! Switched to gas and she fired up, then the battery finally died. So ended the weekend with the 220.

I dont know what else is wrong with it other than the deck being locked up, but I am hoping to get time and some pics this weekend.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 04:57 AM

Sounds like you have something to keep you occupied for a bit. Good luck with it.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 05:15 AM

Coldone,congratulations on getting your 220 Case.

#4 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 03:57 PM

Both my 444's had been sitting quite a while and the decks were "froze" on both. All it was, was the belt stuck to the pulleys under the cover. Didn't take much to free them up. Hope that's all that's wrong with yours. Good save by the way, I hate seeing a good GT of any kind going to the scrapyard.

#5 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 06:50 PM

The sun actually came out today, the first time in about 4 days. I got home and had a chance to snap a few pics. Still not sure what I am going to do with this one. If it was a 4XX I know i would keep it but the 220 seems to be of limited uses.
DSCF2716.jpg Posted Image

ETA: Didnt know the pics were so bad, I will get somemore this week.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2720.jpg
  • DSCF2719.jpg
  • DSCF2717.jpg
  • DSCF2718.jpg

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,591 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 06:56 PM

What brand of carb spray was this? I've never used any spray carb cleaner that wouldn't flame.

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 07:02 PM

It was some "green" environmentally friendly cleaner i picked up from Walmart i think. Cant find the can, its in the woods somewhere from where i threw it! Dont worry, its not littering when it environmentally friendly. :D

#8 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 05:52 AM

I really wouldn't say that little 220 has limited uses. Fix 'er up and try 'er out, it may surprise you. If more horsepower is really needed, a Case spec K321 will bolt right in. Or you can hop up the 10hp. Mowing and snowblowing is where you would need horsepower, all else is the same. Ground clearance is the biggest difference between the 200 series and the 400 series.:smile1:

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 06:42 PM

IT RUNSSS!!!!!!!
I got home a little early, put the carb back together and installed it. Put a freshly charged battery in and hooked up a spare gas tank. A lttle choke and she fired up!. I got it backed off the trailer and tok it for a little spin. That thing is FAST. Of course I only had one hand on the wheel and the other holding the tank. Hopefully I will have time time to check out the fuel pump am add a fuel filter this weekend.

#10 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 07:44 PM

:rocker2: Great! Glad to see ya' like it so far.

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 08:12 PM

BG, i ment to get back to your above post. The only thing thats disappointing to me about the 220 is it really isnt designed for a 3pth. I know they have the new 3pth out for the 3000 series but list is over $800. I am pretty sure I will keep this for a while and play with it, but I dont believe I will be trying to restore it.

#12 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 08:41 PM

I have had (4 ),222's and (2) 220's only one 222 had hydraulic lift! They are plenty quick for a 12 inch rubber GT. Good save ! Shawn

#13 Rick OFFLINE  

Rick

Tractorholic

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 09:03 AM

My 446 was in boxes when I bought it a few years ago.The carb and intake was on the seat and we didnt know if the thing ran or not we were told it ran when they parked it. OF COURSE IT DID!!!! But it does now and we have some trophies to show for our hard work.It takes some time you will get it im sure then youll have a real nice tractor.

#14 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 09:47 AM

I believe that there's a sleeve style hitch available for the 220. There's also a rear hydraulic lift available for that. Wit it you could use any sleeve hitch implement.
  • coldone said thank you

#15 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 02:40 PM

I have seen the plans for the sleeve hitch but all my stuff is for cat 0 3pth. Not sure what I am going to do with the 220. I beleive it will be sold "as is" or parted out. It will make someone a great little tractor, I just dont think its for me at this time.