wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 04:56 PM

I am going to be building a tow dolly for garden tractor relocation, and the project has taken off in the last 2 or 3 days in design stage. I had the idea back when Kenny built his wheel lift, just never got around to starting. I had a good plan until Kenny (cooped up in his house lol) had to give himself something to do. Kenny asked me the plan I had , which was all a solid design so that you MUST lift and hook at the same time. Well, that wasn't good enough for Kenny so he took it upon himself to take my original idea, and build on it. He took the last two days and built the entire dolly on Sketchup, with my input of the parts I already had and intended to use, and made quite a mechanism. So while I have been cleaning Kenny has helped me greatly, and essentially generated a shopping list for me the next time I went to the scrap yard. I just got back from the scrap yard and had quite a successful visit, I had 3-4 sizes in my head and my tape measure.

I found 3 pieces of thickwall 2 inch box tubing, each 47 inches long, painted, and straight, perfect. Also found some 1.5 inch square tubing, and then some other pieces of steel for another project. I was going to use 3 inch channel for the draw tongue originally, but the piece I have wont me long enough to have room for a boat hand winch. Bad thing is the ball coupler I have is designed for 3 inch channel, so I may just have to weld up a transition piece to pin onto the 2 inch (receiver setup) and then I could easily use my 24 dollar coupler on other build projects. Last I checked I can only use one trailer at a time LOL.

Kenny will be along to load up the undimensioned Sketchup drawings he did, and congratulate me on the steel lol. Kenny, I am not using any flat stock or 3 inch channel, will be ALL 2 inch... so you half win LOL.
  • Michiganmobileman said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Well, Casey has begun this, so I better upload the drawings. This is what I had in my head. What he builds is what he has visioned. LOL Here you all go:
Casey4.jpg
What I would really like to design is a miniature car dolly. Think that would be awesome for moving the tractors.

Attached Thumbnails

• Casey3.jpg

• wvbuzzmaster, Cvans and Michiganmobileman have said thanks

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 07:07 PM

I look forward to following this build. My question, how will you pick up the front(or back) of the tractor? Im sure you could lift some tractors by pushing the front down, but what about the heavier tractors? Other then that I think its a very solid design.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 07:31 PM

I originally set this up to use the winch Casey has mounted on the back of his tractor. That's what the two pulleys are at the front, run the cables under and up to hook into the hole at the top.

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Oh, now its clear to me. I thought they for some kind of latching system. I thought about making some kind of tow truck like attachment for a 3pt, maybe this will give me some ideas.

#6 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 08:28 PM

you all need to get ya some JD's you can start and move them.:poke::bigrofl:

i am interested in seeing this built

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 08:52 PM

I am going to be building a tow dolly for garden tractor relocation,

Wouldn't your forklift do the same thing ? Al

#8 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 09:07 PM

Casey just load the tires + put wheel weights on you GE, it'll be well over 1000 lbs and you can just drag your other tractors around.:D

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 09:09 PM

I plan to put a manual boat winch right on the dolly to avoid having to mess with the tractor winch since it probably wont turn with that winch on it.

Forklifts are NOT all terrain.

Will probably actually start welding it up this weekend. Have to finish cleaning up my shop the rest of this week before I get real busy on this. Figured since Kenny helped design, I would set this up in a build thread.

#10 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Casey and Kenny you are a Crafty Crew!! That is a pretty simple but awful effective looking set up:thumbs: Where do you guys come up with these ideas? I'll be watching:smile1:

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 09:24 PM

We build our ideas off of each others ideas. They always did say two heads were better than one, and I'm glad I don't have 2 heads myself LOL. Oh, and Kenny just wants to get me to start and finish something I planned on doing lol.

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 09:30 PM

What about getting some thick steel plates, cut to a size of 6" wide x 10" in length, and mounting them to the cross bar of your axle, with pivots. These would be resting areas for the front tires to ride on. Just like a regular two wheeled car dolly. The plates could pivot with the tractor while driving over different terrains. Use 1" ratchet straps to tie down the tractor tires to the steel plates. You would only need the your boat winch then, to get the tractor up on the tire carriers.

Instead of making the axle cross member a solid piece of steel, cut the axle, and install smaller tubing in both halves, so that the axle can be adjustable in width. Then you wouldn't be limited to just one size tractors.

Just my two cents worth.

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 23, 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 09:43 PM

Troy, the design is actually to be no more than 4 foot wide and still haul them with ease. I don't like car dollys because they are hard to get the wheels on them. With the design I am not limited to one size of tractor because I will build some adjustablity in the lift point. I am actually very happy with the current design and will build on the fly LOL. I ave a solid axle already because thats something I saved at the scrap yard last year lol.

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 09:58 PM

I think you guys are on to something good here. I agree that pulling flat tires or no tires onto a dolly is a pain. This idea of lift and go seems right on target for ease of use.
Going to be interesting to watch this.
Thanks for posting this project.

#15 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 10:32 PM

First off, great idea! You could put skiis on it too.

Secondly, this is just too weird. Today, I was in the shop, rethinking a tractor lifting gizmo idea, that I had been mulling
over for a while now. Honest to goodness, I thought today, "Hey, this would make a good thread. Kenny sketches it, and I build it"

Just too weird.:confuse: