#1 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7817
  • 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 11:34 AM

The Powerking is back!

Got my transmission back and installed, and fixed just about every little thing I found wrong. Runs great, transmission is smooth and much quieter. Its ready for work. I'm gonna start hauling wood with it this weekend.

I mentioned the coupler going into the pinion gear was really worn , and I found out why. When I was assembling the engine + tranny+ driveshaft+ tube to the differential, it would not line up properly. I put a washer about 1/8" thick under the drivers side of the engine and the tube lined up then so I could bolt it. But if I removed this shim to bolt down the engine, it would put a slight twist in drivetrain and an unnatural strain on that coupler. I wonder if it strained the transmission too.

I saw that the motor mount on that side was lower than the other. I jacked up the motor, adjusted the mount, and it all went together perfectly with no fudging.

The biggest mistake I made was the way I went about replacing the hydraulic lines. I removed the old hoses and took them to a repair shop. They made me new lines of the exact length, but of high pressure hose instead ("Twenty-five bucks a piece!," he sobbed). When I tried to install these new lines the increased diameter of the high pressure hose and the decreased flexibility resulted in one line being about two inches two short. I had to buy some brass fittings to make an extended coupler.

One note about the two days it took. I'd say I spent 30% of that time driving around buying tools and nuts and bolts I didn't have.

All is well, got a swell little tractor and a sense of accomplisment. I just want to thank everyone here, who is so free with advice and encouragement. This is a really great site.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 12:21 PM

Glad you have it fixed, Joe. Great sense of accomplishment, huh? Happy it is working well and quieter.
  • fort apache said thank you

#3 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 12:58 PM

Great! Glad it to hear it went together fairly well. Got any seat time yet?

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 01:44 PM

Congrats on getting it back together. I would say you should have a sense of accomplishment. I also remember stopping to run for a few things I didn't have.

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 01:51 PM

That's normaly how it works, quick to take apart, forever to go back together. For me it takes even longer cause I can't drive yet... leagaly, when I need parts. The engine bracket probably moved when you slid the engine forward across it. Make sure to take pics of it pulling wood!

#6 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 02:15 PM

I only got to run it for ten minutes or so because i finished right at dark. I've got piles of wood way out on my property I haven't been able to get to, I'm ready to see what this little-big tractor can do.

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 02:40 PM

If you can, use as big of a trailer as you have. It will have no problem pulling it. Unless... you want to make more trips to get seat time. Lol

#8 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 02:54 PM

Ha! I don't mind seat time. But I don't need to look for it. With all the work that's been waiting for that tractor I believe it'll get used every weekend almost year round.

I really had a lot of fun tinkering on the tractor. I'll probably get another small tractor to work on once I get my barn addition up, which is my next project.

I like compact tractors because I can haul them with my small truck and trailer. I really can't wait to find something else. I've been scouring the classifieds looking for something I can pick up.

If you can, use as big of a trailer as you have. It will have no problem pulling it. Unless... you want to make more trips to get seat time. Lol

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 03:07 PM

Ha! I don't mind seat time. But I don't need to look for it. With all the work that's been waiting for that tractor I believe it'll get used every weekend almost year round.

I really had a lot of fun tinkering on the tractor. I'll probably get another small tractor to work on once I get my barn addition up, which is my next project.

I like compact tractors because I can haul them with my small truck and trailer. I really can't wait to find something else. I've been scouring the classifieds looking for something I can pick up.

You like compacts, eh? May I recommend a power king then? They aren't technically compacts but they are similar size and the best tractor for it size you can get! New or old! Lol

#10 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 03:19 PM

Now Ryan... We need to talk about your Powerking addiction! :smile1: There are other tractors out there that need attention too.

Remember, they are made of metal and plastic and don't get jealous when you talk about other tractors...:bounce:

You like compacts, eh? May I recommend a power king then? They aren't technically compacts but they are similar size and the best tractor for it size you can get! New or old! Lol

#11 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 03:23 PM

Sounds like you need to see Dr. Phil, but he's booked for the season.

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 06:10 PM

..they are made of metal and plastic and don't get jealous...

you take that back! Now! Especially the thing about being plastic!

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 06:26 PM

you take that back! Now! Especially the thing about being plastic!

What about the key fob....plastic there? LOL

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 06:31 PM

What about the key fob....plastic there? LOL

If you mean the ignition, that's steel too, and the key.

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 06:40 PM

If you mean the ignition, that's steel too, and the key.

I meant the key ring (aka key fob). Any plastic anywhere? I doubt it....those tractors are built to last a few lifetimes.