• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#16 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Sorry but I don't really know anything about his football career or how he was personally as a coach and I am only focusing on this specific issue just as I would for anyone else who was in this situation.

It's not an assumption that he did wrong,Joe even knows and said he did wrong.He very likely could have stopped more children from being molested.

Again,this is just my opinion.He may have met his legal obligation but he did not meet his moral obligation to do all that he could have to stop this crime.He took one step and took no other action even after knowing that nothing was being done about it.

I treat Joe Paterno as any other individual who failed to take the proper steps to make sure another henious crime was not comitted and I really feel for those kids who got molested after it was known.

#17 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 08:21 PM

Gentleman,

We are all brothers here, and before this topic gets way out of hand, can we just remember the fact, that we are all entitled to our own opinions, and we have the right to voice those opinions freely. So with that said, let's not lose our heads, tempers, or professionalism here, and start fighting over something we can not change, or arguing over something that we don't know all of the complete details about.

Most of us remember Joe as an outstanding football coach, who gave a lot of time and effort in building competitive teams each year, and making the Penn State football organization as successful as it was. Other's view Joe as an adverage Joe, who was really no better than anyone else. So to that, I say to each thier own, when it comes to your personal thinking, and or reflecting on Joe Paterno. If I'd have known this was going to be a sensitive subject, I never would have entered the thread. I'm not picking sides, and I'm not going to say if I think Joe was right or wrong for what went down. I will say though, that Joe gave everything he had, both time, money, and dedicated comittment into an organization that he believed in. This is the Joe that I, and a lot of others, "choose" to reflect back on.

We all have times in our lives, some good, and some bad. And no matter how bad our times get, I really hope for all of us, that the memories of good times, out weigh the bad. I hope, that when my time comes to pass, that poeple will remember me for "all" of my positive accomplishments, instead of my "few" non-positive endeavors.
  • Bolens 1000, dstaggs, tractorman604 and 7 others have said thanks

#18 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 08:28 PM

AMEN Troy, Very WELL Said !!!!!!
  • Fabman said thank you

#19 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 08:32 PM

I'll second that as well.

#20 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Once again , rest in peace Joe! There always has been people who found redemption at the end of their days. I nor anyone else typing on the above thread knows the outcome of this mans fate. One thing for sure is that the world as a whole would be a better place if more people lived the percentage of their lives doing good,that Joe had. He was not poor(by a long shot). He reinvested in the school, his employer,and local community. He was loved by not only his players, but also other coaches who tried to match his sportsmanship,and drive for success. The legacy of this man will indeed live on in the hearts of his fans,I guess it comes down to should a,could a,would a! As Joe Pa him self said ,He wished he had done more. Well I wish I had done more , Having known one of my friends was in a violent marriage,(both he and she)I maybe could have had something done to prevent a death. Yes I think about it, someones dead,someones in jail. Our great media is a finely honed double edge sword. The late, great Johny Cash lived a troubled life, but had turned many people to the good book. Two fine role models that have changed millions of peoples lives for the better,Both would have changed things in their lives if they could. It is going to be a long trip to Allentown my friend! Shawn

#21 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 10:46 PM

I really can't stress enough that I was not commenting on his coaching career or other matters that have taken place in his life,I am only commenting on this one incident.

Joe did not come forward,he got caught.

Reading most of these comments leads me to one conclusion and that is that these opinions would be differnt if Joe Paterno were the janitor.

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 10:55 PM

No, most of these posts would be different if he had lived a mediocre life without ever helping anyone or attempting to set an positive role model type example for people.

Your point(s) have been made, countered, and made again. I appreciate your want to make yourself clear, but you have been.
This is not what this thread was to be about, nor the intent of the original poster to malign a man's memory. It was to be at least informative, at best a place to pay respects.
You disagree with Joe's character references, acknowledged.
Please respect the intent of the thread.

Edited by MH81, January 23, 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#23 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 11:09 PM

I really can't stress enough that I was not commenting on his coaching career or other matters that have taken place in his life,I am only commenting on this one incident.

Joe did not come forward,he got caught.

Reading most of these comments leads me to one conclusion and that is that these opinions would be differnt if Joe Paterno were the janitor.

Sorry , but he did come forward. and went back to his job. The thing is he was not janitor,and if he was I would feel different. Head football coach at Pennstate is not typical job,There are many people involved. assistant to the assistants to the assistants secretary's assistant. Bottom line here is yes ,More should have been done, and if it was the janitor ,it would not make good dirty laundry! The big media capitalized on remarks from big names. If it was the janitor not so much. Sandusky is the criminal here,did we forget about him while spreading dirty laundry over the dead?

Edited by tractorgarden, January 23, 2012 - 11:20 PM.
brain fart

#24 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 11:28 PM

RIP Joe! Outstanding in his field, much to the chagrin of those who faced him and his teams. As a Hawkeye fan I grimianced every time Iowa played his teams.. Yeah we won some but even those were tough fought battles.

It seems obvious he made a mistake and did not do enough. A mistake shared by the administration of the school.

I find it very unfortunate that such an outstanding career over so many years will be diminished in the eyes of too many by one failure.

And yet hope when i am gone, I am not remembered for my many failings, but for the good I have done.
  • caseguy and tractorgarden have said thanks

#25 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 12:16 AM

Video: Joe Paterno remembered as the people Say it aint so Joe!