#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 12:35 PM

I'm not sure if all of you heard, but Joe Paterno passed away at the age of 85. Sad day for Penn State Fans.
  • tractorman604, GTTinkerer, tractorgarden and 1 other said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 12:46 PM

He was a Larger than life Icon, his coaching style & the level at which he made his players hold themselves to was without peer.
The other stuff that has been on the news about him, I will believe when it's proven to me beyond a shadow of a doubt.

#3 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 01:03 PM

Just got home and logged in here and saw the sad news. I am not a big Penn State fan (Michigan State and Michigan ya know) but have always thought that Joe Paterno was a class act and like MH81 will believe so until Joe is proven otherwise.

Bill
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 01:28 PM

He was a Larger than life Icon, his coaching style & the level at which he made his players hold themselves to was without peer.
The other stuff that has been on the news about him, I will believe when it's proven to me beyond a shadow of a doubt.

:ditto:

Its a sad day......
Prayers go out to his family

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,435 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 03:35 PM

Sorry to hear this. He was a heckuva coach and I don't believe he knowingly was involved with all that.

#6 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 04:24 PM

I agree, and now that Joe has passed,all the people that were talking trash about him will all of a sudden change there tune.I just hope they let the man rest in peace.:worshippy1:

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 05:08 PM

I'm not sure if all of you heard, but Joe Paterno passed away at the age of 85. Sad day for Penn State Fans.

Yes,I did hear that on the news today.

#8 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 06:30 PM

So Sorry to hear not been close to TV land today.

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 07:16 PM

The man sure had a lot happen to him the past few months, (sex scandel accusations, getting fired, lung cancer, breaking his hip) and now passing away, due to complications of kemo and radiation. I really felt sorry for Joe. He truely was an inspiration, fine example of a leader, and an icon. He'll be deeply missed, and Penn State football will never be the same again, without Joe on the sidelines!

#10 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 09:39 PM

Yeah, that was my alma mater, and he will have his name cleared.
It's easy for folks to judge someone for not doing enough from a distance. But what if it was someone at your job... on your watch... and you could easily lose your way of life without even being involved. Then it's not so simple, is it.
  • jms180 and tractorgarden have said thanks

#11 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Such a sad way to go. He was one heck of a coach and will be remembered for it as well. He will be exonerated in the end for sure. I personally put him in the class with Vince Lambardi of the Greenbay Packers myself.

#12 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 03:24 AM

Rest in peace Joe Pa

#13 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Am I missing something here? Joe stated that this was "one of the great sorrows of my life." With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

In my eyes,all his great achievements do not make up for not doing all that he could to stop this alleged child molestation that was taking place.Child molestation is serious stuff.

I'm not changing my tune about him just because he happened to be a good coach and because he passed away.

That's just my opinion guys.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Am I missing something here? Joe stated that this was "one of the great sorrows of my life." With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

Doing all you can, doing what you feel is right at the time, doing what you are supposed to do, NEVER equal enough in some situations. My understanding of the situation was Joe did what he was supposed to do. I read the above quote as a man wishing he had done more than what he did... we all have situations that we wish we could get a mulligan on...

Child molestation is serious stuff.

Not one person here will argue that with you. We all feel the same way about it, I am sure. "Serious Stuff" is an understatement. There is a special little corner of Hell for people who do stuff like this.

I'm not changing my tune about him just because he happened to be a good coach and because he passed away.

I've never changed my mind on him. Breathing or not, he will be one of the few people in Sports who held firm to his beliefs. If his star player had a low grade, he didn't play. Period. If there was horseplay or tom-foolery that could be construed anything less than sportsman like conduct, there was corrections made, apologies given or the kid was off the team. Joe made his players tow the line. End of discussion.

The assumption that he did something wrong is what irks me. Should he have done more?... Sure, he should have... but we have decades of 20/20 hindsight to use to judge him & his actions. Hypothetically, he should've kicked this moron's butt & then called the cops, the paramedics and a dentist. What he did was report what he saw to the authorities and allowed them to handle the situation.

His true crime was believing his superiors would do what they were supposed to, and his legacy suffers for it. He was good enough of a man to realize that no amount of blemish on his record, no amount of maligning by the press, no amount of self-flagellation could undo what happened to those poor children.

"one of the great sorrows of my life."
"With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."
He was a good enough man to admit it.

Edited by MH81, January 23, 2012 - 08:44 PM.
Spelling error

• Bolens 1000, tractorman604, caseguy and 8 others have said thanks

#15 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 918 Thanks
  • 1,209 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 06:25 PM

Well Done MH81 !!!! He was much of a man.