Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Would this make your wife(girlfriend, etc) happy? Must read all.....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Sorry dont have a picture. My wife Kathy went to visit her Grandmother yesterday, took her Hammered Dulcimer and ended up playing for Grandma and a few other members of her family that Grandma called up to come over. Kathy just loved it, had a great time and so did everyone listening. But that's not the real story here.

My dear wife was her Fathers "Son" as she was the 3rd of 4 girls, no brothers. Always did stuff with Dad, helped in the garage, mowed the lawn(push mower only, thats one of the reasons she likes to mow with my tractors:smile1:), rode snowmobile and motorcycle, went fishing and hunting, etc, etc.

The very first shotgun she ever used when she went hunting was her Grandmas .410. For about 5 years this was the hunting gun of choice, she tried a 12 gauge once, nuff said:smilewink:. Squirrels, rabbits, pheasants, partridge were all fair game. So yesterday Grandma told Kathy she had something to give her and it was the shotgun. She last used it several years ago to shoot at a possum or raccoon that was by the bird-feeder(I remember the story, just not which critter she was after). Grandma got it brand new when she was 14 years old, 80 YEARS AGO!! She turns 95 in May, and decided she does not need it anymore. The shotgun is a Harrington and Richardson, single shot .410 guage, breaks open at the breach, and does not eject, she remembers taking a tool with her when they went hunting to pull the shell out after firing, needless to say she never got a second shot in at anything. Pretty good shape overall, missing some bluing and the stock has a chip out of it but not bad for 80 years old.

Of course Kathy was extremely happy:dancingbanana:, what a family heirloom to possess.
Just though I would share,
  • mikebramel, Cvans and HDWildBill have said thanks

#2 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 08:56 AM

Yes it would. Nice guesture

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 09:00 AM

Very nice story. If that shotgun could only talk.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 09:00 AM

To answer your question, heirlooms make my wife happy. She is sentimental, but not about guns. Never got into them.

Tell Kathy congrats (where's the pics?) and I understand her joy. Two years ago, I was given my Grandfather's .22. Doesn't sound like much, but there are stories in the family behind this gun. On the market, it's probably worthless as the barrel was replaced (it was how my Grandfather could afford to buy it -bent barrel) but it's priceless to me. Shoots true and straight. Someday, my kids can fight over it, but for now it's mine and a piece of my Grandpa and Dad (who used it most).

#5 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 09:13 AM

Congratulations to your wife. That shotgun is definitely a treasure for her. Good to hear she is a Dulcimer player. I love the sound of that instrument!

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 09:20 AM

Great stories of heirloom guns.

#7 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 09:47 AM

Very nice! May I suggest that you and Kathy write down the story and keep with the .410, story ,date,grandma's age ETC. If something tragic ever happened to the two of you; the family would have the whole scoop! That would keep it as a family heirloom, Instead of ending up being a auction gun. Shawn

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,698 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 10:02 AM

That is a cool story. Thanks for sharing with us.

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 10:02 AM

The 2 things I have from my Grand parents are a 1918 Kodak Camera that my Grandma got either for Graduating HS or a Wedding present I don't know which. The camera still worked back in the 70's, and a 1922 Model T owners manual from my Grandpa.