johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 08:42 PM

[attachment=24072:23430.attach]

Well, here is my Farm Tractor. It's a 1954 John Deere 50. The sheet metal is real straight, with just a slight dent on the right side of the nose cover, and a small ding on the flywheel cover. Both of which can be hammered out. I bought the tractor two years ago along with the cultivators, but they got sold at Dad's sale last summer. Factory 3pt hitch works great, and also has factory power steering and Tach.

I invested in new seat covers, new-old-stock decal set, new reproduction gauges, factory lighter and a new chrome exaust stack. The tractor was converted to a single 12 volt battery set up, sometime by the previous owner, which wasn't original, so I converted it back to the two 6 volt battery set up, with new batteries and cross over cable. With the exception of tires and paint, I believe I have everything I need, to do a complete restoration. I'd like to find a set of rear wheel weights, and a 3pt - 2 bottom plow yet, before I start the restoration, but other than that, I can't wait to get started.

I've only owned garden tractors up until this point, and even though garden tractors are still where my heart lies, I must admit, driving this farm tractor runs a very close second. Can't wait to get it done!

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 10:06 PM

There is something nostalgic about a two lunger. Unique sound, very soothing to hear.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 10:08 PM

Great project Troy, hope you do well. Just be aware, new rear tires will cost you an arm and a leg.

#4 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 10:30 PM

Nice looking Tractor. And when you get thru with it it will look better than off the show room.

#5 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 10:42 PM

Sounds like a great project.

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 01:13 AM

Johnny Poppers are sweet. Nothing sounds like them at a slow idle. One of the few tractors you can overhaul while standing up. I did my "B" and it was very easy. Your "50" is a much nicer tractor with power steering and 3pt. You will have a real jewel when it's finished.

#7 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 10:51 AM

looking forward to seeing this thing with new green shinny paint and parts .

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 10:54 AM

Troy, Thats a great looking 50 you got there. Should been a nice straight forward resto. that you can knock out easily..

Keep us posted on your progress..

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 12:31 PM

I never gave it a thought originally, but is this something you guys would be interested in seeing a step-by-step process of? I know there are threads of guys showing detailed pictures of the garden tractor restorations, but I didn't figure on taking progress pictures, since this is a garden tractor site. But then again, I guess this thread section is dedicated to farm tractors and utility tractors, so progress pictures could be done and posted, right?

If you're interested, I'll post pictures as I go along with the restoration. May not happen though until the end of summer/early fall (I hope).

#10 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 05:41 PM

Looks to be in pretty good shape for it's age! The 400 series hitch is a bonus, most of them have been modified, especially the <*&#@**> finger pinching top link! :D

Post pics as you go along, they will be appreciated! ~~ grnspot

#11 york0060 OFFLINE  

york0060

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 10:17 AM

Looks like it going to be a fun project. I love those 2 cylinder tractors. I am currently working on a John Deere MT that will be on its way to Africa in September as part of a Missions ministry. The farm it is going to is still using hand tools to do farm work.

#12 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 10:21 PM

I never gave it a thought originally, but is this something you guys would be interested in seeing a step-by-step process of? I know there are threads of guys showing detailed pictures of the garden tractor restorations, but I didn't figure on taking progress pictures, since this is a garden tractor site. But then again, I guess this thread section is dedicated to farm tractors and utility tractors, so progress pictures could be done and posted, right?

If you're interested, I'll post pictures as I go along with the restoration. May not happen though until the end of summer/early fall (I hope).

I would follow the thread. That 50 looks like it was well cared for and should be an easy restoration. I'd love to see what it looks like redone. We did a 44 A back in 2001. Bought it in January and did a complete down to the carcass teardown and rebuild and had it done two weeks before the John Deere hosted show at Penns Cave that September. I love listening to the old two cylinders and would never part with our A, but being an IH guy it is SOOOOO much more anoying to work on than a red one!

#13 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Well then, I guess I need to start charging the camera batteries, so that when the time finally comes to start, I'll be ready.

#14 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 09:28 PM

That sure looks like a wonderful tractor to restore. Please keep us updated on your work Troy. My dad had a JD A model on a small farm back in the 60's. (hope I put that on there correctly) It had a hand clutch and I loved driving that tractor and it's unique sound. Sure brings back some good memories. Looking forward to the pics.

#15 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 02:05 AM

Nice JD! can't wait to follow your progress.