16 replies to this topic

#1 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 05:12 PM

I was hoping to blow some snow today but never got the Diesel started. first the starter solenoid got stuck on so i had to replace that with a spare.
I figured i would plug the factory heater in and let it warm the engine up a little. come back 3o minutes later and i find the heater melted and laying on the ground. I try starting it with the thermostart system i added to it and still nothing.
Wrapped the motor in a tarp with 2 electric heaters to warm the engine up. got it to about 60 * and still wont fire. i though for sure this would do it.
8.5 hours and ive had enough. i moved the snow with the backhoe. calling it quits for the day before i lose it.

#2 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 06:41 PM

It may burn more fuel but atleast it starts lol

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 07:52 PM

That sure does suck! Must not be the cold that is preventing starting after all that warming.

#4 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 08:20 PM

That sure does suck! Must not be the cold that is preventing starting after all that warming.

I thought that too. Tried swapping in other injectors. While i had them out i put a few drops of oil into the cylinders to get compression up a little. im getting fuel out of both injector lines .
i tried two starters and two batterys to see if i could get it to crank over faster hoping for the cylinders to build up some heat. one cylinder fired off but it wasnt enough to run.
I see why these engines weren't made very long

#5 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 07:57 PM

have you tried a bit of ether yes i know that you could break the rings or blow the engine but it might be worth the try as long as you dont get carried away or your should look into a decomp lever

#6 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 04:57 PM

If it is the original Wiscon WD2-860 engine, there is a decompression lever on the engine to let you get it spinning over faster on a cold start.

#7 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 09:32 PM

That has got to be very frustrating. The only thing I can think of that's worse is having one that just keeps popping but won't start. Hope you get to the bottom of the problem.

#8 powerstroker00 OFFLINE  

powerstroker00

• Member No: 8405
  • 669 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 09:54 PM

hate to hear that,my son and i just bought a ht20d and kinda have the same starting problem. it really doesnt like the cold weather,it runs great when its running,kinda hard to get it going. where did you get the thermo start for it??

#9 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 11:13 PM

hammerdwn20,

Being the altruistic kinda guy that I am. And seeing as how in your own words you said "calling it quits for the day before i lose it.".

In the interest of your continued good mental health, I would be willing to come to your place and remove that 'hazard to your health'.

Not only that, but to show you how good a person I am, I won't even charge you for saving your sanity. :D:D:rolleyes:

Seriously, I really hope you get it sorted. Nothing is more aggravating than an engine to refuse to start for no apparent reason.

#10 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 11:15 PM

I guess they expected if you can afford a diesel you can afford a heated garage lol

#11 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 10:01 AM

I tried the decomp lever. IT doesnt do much. I left the decomp lever on and had a hair dryer blowing hot air through the engine hoping to get alittle heat to the cylinder.
I put a little gas on a rag near the intake instead of ether. still no go
im going to get out there today and give it a go. Willing to bet its going to fire right up like it normally did.
I had a week away from it since i was in OKC for training. My mind is clear and im optomistic.

#12 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 10:06 AM

hate to hear that,my son and i just bought a ht20d and kinda have the same starting problem. it really doesnt like the cold weather,it runs great when its running,kinda hard to get it going. where did you get the thermo start for it??

Thermostart i got from ebay for a ford tractor. Its a cheap easy modification since there is a plug in the intake already. If you search this forum for it youll see the thread. It gets the intake really hot. I would have liked it to be between the two intake ports but dont want to butcher a rare motor.

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 12:29 PM

Been following this thread , hope you get to the bottom of the problem . How cold is it where your at ? Just wondering to if the starter is turning it over fast enough ? How about those diesel additives , we really don't have a problem with the vehicles at work but I put some in the ones that sit outside , just in case :smile1: cause I would be the one in the cold trying to get them running . I hate the cold . Anyway good luck , Al

#14 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 171 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 02:01 PM

can you take the glow plug out on cyl. that wont fire and heat it up w a torch? then put back in while hot? just a thought. If not, you can deliver it to my garage, I'll be happy to keep it warm. good luck, wish I had an answer for your problem.

#15 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 03:00 PM

Unfortunately, the Wisconsin WD2-860 does not have glow plugs, so although that is a good idea for many diesels, it won't work for this one.