Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

It's snowing here and boy is the driving bad!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 04:40 PM

It snowed this afternoon in Halifax with the temp. at +1c which is about 34F. The snow stuck to the pavement and formed ice when cars drove over it. I was in early today and left early, getting out of town just before it got impassable for some cars on the hills. The downtown of the city is a peninsula and since it's a sea port surrounded by hills you cannot get out of town without going up a large hill. There were already transit buses stuck when I left and anyone without good tires was having a lot of trouble on even moderate hills. I'm driving a Subaru with snow tires so I don't usually have any traction problems, but all that ice was pretty scary. Once the traffic gets constipated it can take hours to get going again as the plows cannot get any salt down. It has stopped snowing here at home and we got about 4 or 5 inches. I guess I'll get a bit of seat time later tonight.:smile1: The same amount of dry snow with the temp. below freezing would not have caused the grief that this stuff did. It seems that almost all the snow we get these last few years has been the heavy wet variety.

#2 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 10:15 PM

I would rather blast through a foot of snow than a skin of ice, sounds like you might have got out just in time. We had just an inch or so of snow for the drive home, and its always a little worse when I get the 28 miles west that we live from work, starting to be pretty slick by the time I got here.

#3 dstaggs OFFLINE  

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 552 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 11:23 PM

Her in the south if it is frozen most of the time it's ice, It shuts everything down.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 05:16 AM

Brian,we didn't get the same thing here.It did snow most of the day up until about 3:30 PM,but only about 2" came down.A buddy of mine was out in Bridgewater yesterday,and said the roads were terrible out there ,especially the #10 coming back home.