• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 73droptop OFFLINE  

73droptop

• Member No: 8301
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 10:30 PM

I was given a 1965 CASE 180 tractor. Its in pretty good shape overall. It had been sitting for several years and didn't run. I got the engine running and the tractor drives but has no power on a hill. I changed the hydraulic fluid and found that it had the wrong fluid in it. It had regular automatic transmission fluid in it. The problem existed before the fluid change and remains after. I think the seals in the unit may have been eaten by the transmission fluid. Does anyone know of any rebuild kits or of any old vintage CASE/Colt suppliers? I would like to do a complete restoration of this tractor.
Thanks for any help:confuse:

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 05:22 AM

73droptop,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.
I really like the look of the 180 with it's round fenders.

#3 73droptop OFFLINE  

73droptop

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for the comment. The tractor is in overall nice shape for its age. I'm hoping to get this one up and running soon so I can start a complete restoration. My biggest problem is finding parts and info on the tractor. I bought a reproduction owners manual but it doesn't list the recommended fluids. I'm also going to need to replace the tires soon. Any ideas where to shop for rear tires for this tractor?

#4 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 01:02 AM

Thanks for the comment. The tractor is in overall nice shape for its age. I'm hoping to get this one up and running soon so I can start a complete restoration. My biggest problem is finding parts and info on the tractor. I bought a reproduction owners manual but it doesn't list the recommended fluids. I'm also going to need to replace the tires soon. Any ideas where to shop for rear tires for this tractor?

The tire size is common...this is a popular site for restoration guys M.E. Miller Tire

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 03:03 AM

Welcome to the forum, Hope you get the Case 180 in the condition you want. Rear tires for it can be expensive if you want ag tires though, just a warning, However, if you are looking for turf tires I would just skip tractor tires and buy all terrain pickup truck tires. (used with tread left or new depending on what you can find or have already)

#6 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Look here for the manuals, the recommended fluids are there. As far as using truck tires, I have not tried them nor do I personally know anyone that has. That said, I have read that it's not recommended to use them on GT's. If you try them, keep us posted. FWIW-180 Cases are highly collectible, take good care of it and don't do anything to it that can't be put back to original. WHERE"S THE PICS? LOL :)
http://www.*********...wforum.php?f=25

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 07:16 AM

Hey Billygoat,what is that link to?It doesn't work for me.

#8 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 10:05 AM

Just a bad link I guess. :wave: Anyway, some of the parts for these old Cases can be purchased from Steve Guider @ 937-363-3523 and Jim Daenzer @ 989-652-6813. Neither has a web site. These gentlemen can also be a wealth of information for doing a true restoration. The hydraulic system uses motor oil, not hydraulic fluid. The most used oil is 15w-40, though other grades can and are used. This oil seems to give the best performance in these tractors. Recommended oil the engine is in the engine manual.The colors are Flambeau Red and Desert Sunset. Somewhere around 1969 Case started using Power Red on their tractors due to the Flambeau paint having fading issues. Flambeau is available as is the Sunset. Modern formulations of Flambeau probably take care of the fading issues. If doing a true restoration, take your time and do a lot of research to get it correct. It will be worth it in the long run.
  • mjodrey and 73droptop have said thanks

#9 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 10:11 AM

After rereading the OP's first post, I would recommend changing the oil in the hydraulics a couple of times to flush out the ATF and then reevaluate the performance. That mistake has been made by others before and a good flush of the system and use of the correct oil fixed the problem. Keep us posted. Where's the pics??? :) We love pics!
  • 73droptop said thank you

#10 190forklift OFFLINE  

190forklift

• Member No: 6378
  • 36 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 09:24 AM

I was given a 1965 CASE 180 tractor. Its in pretty good shape overall. It had been sitting for several years and didn't run. I got the engine running and the tractor drives but has no power on a hill. I changed the hydraulic fluid and found that it had the wrong fluid in it. It had regular automatic transmission fluid in it. The problem existed before the fluid change and remains after. I think the seals in the unit may have been eaten by the transmission fluid. Does anyone know of any rebuild kits or of any old vintage CASE/Colt suppliers? I would like to do a complete restoration of this tractor.
Thanks for any help:confuse:

Can be bought at motion-industerys about $300 part no. 101-1016 Steve G.
  • mikebramel and 73droptop have said thanks

#11 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 06:04 PM

73droptop-there ya' go, If he says you need a new motor, you can take it to the bank , you need a new motor. Good to see your post Steve, didn't know you were a member here. :wave:Glad you are and welcome!:bounce:

#12 73droptop OFFLINE  

73droptop

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 03:53 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I will be flushing the system again just to make sure. If that doesn't work I guess I'll be ordering the motor. As for the rear tires. I plan to spend the money to put a set of ag tires back on it. The ones on it hold air for now they are just dry rotted. I need to get front tires as well as one of them is dryrotted so bad it split down the middle and has the tube sticking out. I have to say I've looked int o many other tractor sites trying to find help and none have been as useful as GTtalk. I think I found a home here. Thanks again

#13 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 05:54 AM

Glad to have you here. Also glad to see you flushing the system first. That may save you money and if you do end up putting on a new motor, you won't be getting bad fluid in it. Keep us posted.