15 replies to this topic

#1 dbear OFFLINE  

dbear

• Member No: 8278
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 02:51 PM

Hi everyone.

Name here is Craig. I just bought a Case 444-77 with deck and tiller from a friend of my brother's for $150. He had replaced the original engine with a 20 horse Onan. He last used it two years ago. What should be the basic procedure for getting it running again? Should I rebuild the carb or just try to clean it? Battery replacement, oil change are planned. Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks,

Craig

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 04:40 PM

Congrats on the Case. You got it for a heck of a deal. I would change out the transmission fluid and the engine oil. For the Carb I would try just cleaning it but it wouldn't hurt to get a Carb kit for it either.

Once you either get the battery charged up or replaced. I would check to make sure you have good spark, fresh gas and give it a shot.

Sent from my mobile beaming device.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 04:57 PM

You got a great deal. If you want to return to the stock engine and add loaded ag tires I can sell you another 77-444 tractor.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 05:52 PM

Sounds like a super deal. I personally wouldn't take the carb apart unless I had to. I'd try to start it with fresh fuel first before messing with it. I've seen too many people, including myself, struggling with getting one working again after disassembling it. I would give the electrical system the once over, checking the safety switches and giving the wiring a visual inspection looking for loose wires, corrosion and such. I'd jack the front end up and check the steering components for wear and lub any grease fittings. I'd check the brakes out to make sure they are working. On some of those Case tractors with the hydrive I believe there is some sort of control that you need to adjust to get braking from the hydrive system. If it's not adjusted correctly the tractor could run away on a downhill, so it's a good idea to have the brakes working, particularly if you have no experience with that system.

#5 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 07:41 PM

You got a great deal. If you want to return to the stock engine and add loaded ag tires I can sell you another 77-444 tractor.

For the same $? wow that is a big price drop since yesterday...LOL

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 07:44 PM

For the same $? wow that is a big price drop since yesterday...LOL

I never said it was going to be cheap, want him to sweat it out. If he wants it I will price it with stuff off of it I would rather sell off myself.

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 07:59 PM

Welcome Craig, I would just service it with an oil change, lube the front end, clean or replace the air filter, fuel filter and put fresh gas in it. If the battery is dead put a slow charger on it and see if it will charge up or replace it. If it won't fire up then start looking at what might be the problem, don't make extra work for your self.

#8 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 08:00 PM

Be mindful that the hydraulic system does NOT use hydraulic fluid, it uses motor oil. 15w40 is the generally accepted oil to use in the hydraulic system. The brake on these is only a parking brake. The hydraulic drive is used for braking and has a "retard" feature. I strongly recommend using the PIN on the control tower and finding the owner's manual, parts manual, and service manual for your tractor. They are available online for free. Any time one is asking for advice on these GT's it is recommended that you post the PIN to get the most accurate advise. There are minor differences in PIN ranges. Welcome to the site by the way. Where ya' located?

#9 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 08:10 PM

Welcome dbear,nice find for $150.00.Good luck in getting it up and running,and dont forget to post some pics!

#10 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'd put a shot of oil in each cylinder and turn it over by hand first, if it spins good then I'd check the plugs for spark, if it is sparking then I'd give a burst of starting fluid in the carb and turn it over to see if it fires...if it fires then put a battery charger on it and jump the battery, then change the gas and crank it for a few seconds, if it fires up and runs ...you're in business! If not ...the issue is fuel related, put a new fuel line on it new filter flush and clean the pump and then clean the carbs, put it back together...simple as pie, is it running yet?

#11 dbear OFFLINE  

dbear

• Member No: 8278
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 10:45 PM

Hi to everybody and thanks for the great responses! I've worked on engines large and small over the years but I always try to as much info as I can before I touch em. I found the manuals on here and another site s which is great. I planned to do all the items in the maintenance schedule just to be sure. I may be able to get it off of the trailer tomorrow and in the shop weather permitting. I'll try to get some pictures up soon. It's kinda rough looking and may be missing some parts for the mower deck (like the belt). No three point hitch unless the seller has it tucked back somewhere. He was at work when I picked it up so I'm not sure. I'm looking forward to using the tiller at least. And I have the stuff to build a log splitter. Having a premade hydraulic circuit will be great. Can't wait till I get it in the shop.

Craig

#12 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 11:21 PM

Hi to everybody and thanks for the great responses! I've worked on engines large and small over the years but I always try to as much info as I can before I touch em. I found the manuals on here and another site s which is great. I planned to do all the items in the maintenance schedule just to be sure. I may be able to get it off of the trailer tomorrow and in the shop weather permitting. I'll try to get some pictures up soon. It's kinda rough looking and may be missing some parts for the mower deck (like the belt). No three point hitch unless the seller has it tucked back somewhere. He was at work when I picked it up so I'm not sure. I'm looking forward to using the tiller at least. And I have the stuff to build a log splitter. Having a premade hydraulic circuit will be great. Can't wait till I get it in the shop.

Craig

THIS is the site for all your tractor needs :-). And "Can't wait till I get it in the shop." now you're talkin...that is the stuff we wanna hear...now, once you get it to the 'shop' most importantly 'have fun' and when stuff goes wrong, and it will, make it fun to return it to original condition. When it is 'right' you will know and that will be the most fun out of your tractor and this hobby...good Luck! We are here to help you...

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 12:47 AM

Missed this thread earlier, and now see I'm late to the party.

:welcome: to GTTalk, glad you found us. That's one heck of a deal you got there, hope it fires right up for you.

#14 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 01:15 PM

Craig

Don't worry what it looks like.We all just like looking at everything,old, new,rusty,restored,beat to heck,it's all for fun and just a great hobby.

#15 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 01:24 PM

:welcome:Welcome to GTt! I agree with pchili4.....