wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 02:42 AM

Just for you Kenny LOL. I remember you saying we haven't had much good bantering a while back, and thought, we still haven't LOL. I know you will find this thread, and anyone else is welcome to join in, just one rule: Only good humored fun, nothing derogatory about anyone. Kenny, or another mod may add more rules, and one of them is bound to shut this thread down, especially if it gets out of control. So let the games begin...

So Kenny, hows the dump trailer, did you ever get that wiring upgraded, or are you still limping it along?

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 03:48 AM

Still limping. Too cold to mess with right now. Glad you finally got the Cat going.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 04:42 AM

Ya, the Cat is a headache currently, but at least I narrowed in on the real issue. So what is your project today Kenny?

Sorry to hear it's too cold to work on the cart, mabey a heater would help?

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 05:29 AM

With the 'Tractor Port' open on two sides, a heater is useless. Plus the tractors are too cold to touch. I'm piddling with a few things during the few hours of warmth out there. Trying to come up with a design for a 3-point on the GTV/16. I have the 'new to me' hood and grille to put on it, but I need to re route the exhaust on the Onan. A power steering pump is in the works for it, need to figure out where to put the tank and valve(s) for it. None of this will be finished until late spring or later. Still would like to build a mid-mount grader for it.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 05:39 AM

I like your idea of a 3 point and using hydraulics. I am mounting the controls to my electric winches on the right fender, since I am always leaning over my shoulder watching the implement. I suggest you build a front bumper heavy duty enough to mount your hydraulic reservoir on since those Craftsmans are light up front. I will take a pic of my work in progress bumper this evening and post, it's a pita just to move it right now LOL.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 06:55 AM

Good idea for the reservoir, maybe incorporate a tank/bumper combined. That Onan adds a bit more weight up front, but more couldn't hurt.

#7 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 07:17 AM

Kenny does the Craftsman havea deck for it? If not, well then let's make it a "everything else work horse" rig ! Blade front, mid, and rear. 3 point hitch , hydraulic actuated everything. (except a tiller pumps not big enough) . :thumbs:

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 07:51 AM

Actually, tilling isn't as far-fetched an idea, I thought of in myself. I have a 7.5 GPM power steering pump rated at 1500 PSI. I have a Case hydratiller designed for about 8 GPM at 2000 PSI, very close. run PS pump of the electric PTO, and big tank up front, no spool valve needed, just run two lines to the tiller viola. I ended the idea because all the weight ahead the front axle and behind the back axle reminded me that the middle is still a weak point!! LOL

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 08:01 AM

No deck, but I have a mule drive. That's what I would like, an everything else the Ford doesn't have. I keep thinking the Onan is an 18 hp, I know it is a B4?M with an oil filter(NO ID plate). I plan to pull the heads later on and measure the stroke. This would make a darn good all around machine. If I got real fussy, I could put the 6-speed in it from the other one I have. But the vari-drive was working very good and mimicked a hydro very well. I have a sleeve hitch blade that I can change the front piece to fit 3-point. It's only 42" wide, but I could find some one to bend some 3/8" to match and make it a 48". Add sides and have a decent box blade that would be quite heavy. Just gotta have some warmer weather to get going.

Edited by KennyP, January 19, 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 08:11 AM

It is great having leftover horses under the hood for accessories. The Caterpillar is supposed to be my all around tractor.. period, but I have considered branching out to secondary support machines lol. I think the best setup is to allow yourself plenty of room to mabey expand it lol. I have been considering building my own front axle for the Caterpillar to incorporate the EZ-GO golf cart front axle I got a couple years ago and the 4 bolt gt front wheels I picked up this year, just have to make custom center... hmmm. I dunno, mabey I am crazy to think the stock front axle is not up to my challenges lol.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 08:24 AM

They are just stamped steel. I messed up a while back and didn't get a cast front axle of a JD. Got the 1" spindles and wheels though.

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 08:29 AM

I could have gotten a Craftsman cast front axle but it didn't look any better than the stamped one I have. I have a JD210 sitting in the yard with 1 inch spindles and trust me, I thought about it, but nothing fits without mods to begin with, and I have all I need to turn the golf cart axle into something. I think if I build the axle myself the main beam will be 1.5" by 2" box tubing, thickwall, surely that would suffice... or should I go beefier? Hmmm, decisions decisions, and the attempt to use the stock front axle mount lol.

I think its better to build an axle the way you want.

#13 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 06:01 PM

That was the demise of my craftsman, peeled the left spindle right clean off the axle in the neighbours drive trying to help him out.... I will day though that rig could push ! Didn't pull well, but pushed like a dozer! Still not as well as my Ford though, that rig is a monster!

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 07:39 PM

Keith, you understand those axles well. I don't like em, but not ready to build a different axle this month, but thinking about it for next month. Going heavy duty is never necessary, but fun lol.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 10:02 PM

Don't think I'll build an axle, I have a spare. In fact, the whole frame looks surprisingly similar.