#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted May 27, 2010 - 07:14 PM

Made some tie rod dust boot guards for my massey gc2300 today. The tie rod dust boots are easy to rip,tear etc: so after having to replace one on mine,and there not cheap I decided to make a guard for them. Sure its not a 100 safe fix but hoping it will help.Cutting grass the tall grass rubs on them,any sticks etc can poke a hole into them .I had to make them the way I did as the boot changes the way it sits as you turn the steering wheel right or left.Here's what I did.I had some 2" exhaust pipe so I used it,I cut each end of the pipe on a 70 degree angle and made each one 3 1/8" long measured from the long side of the angle.I them welded a 7/8" flat washer on the angled cut .Then I cut a 7/8" slot on the long side of the pipe and into the washer.I then used a 2" trailer ball to spread out the pipe and start the shape.Once I did that I used a 1 5/8" socket from my 3/4" drive socket set and drove it into the end of the pipe spreading it further,then I tapped the pipe to the socket creating the shape that I wanted for the guard.I then used a 5/8" shaft and wrapped a 3/4" flat bar around it to make the piece to weld to the washer to make the mount to hold the guard to the tie rod end buy using a hose clamp to keep the guard in place.The reason I made it like this is so that its easy off and on and it won't interfere with the tie rod adjustment either.This way if I need to take stuff apart to change anything it's a simple off on of the guard.After mounting them into place and turning the wheel either way the boots never touch the inside of the guards[I looked in from each end and there's always about 1/8" clearance from the boot to the guard no matter which way the wheels are turned.Guess the last step will be painting them to match the tractor. Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• boot proctectors .jpg
  • boot proctectors .jpg
  • boot proctectors .jpg
  • boot proctectors .jpg
  • boot proctectors .jpg
  • boot proctectors .jpg
  • boot proctectors .jpg
  • boot proctectors .jpg
  • boot proctectors .jpg

#2 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted May 27, 2010 - 09:44 PM

Nice job on you fabrication Larry :thumbs:

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 28, 2010 - 06:43 PM

Nice work Larry.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 29, 2010 - 11:33 AM

Larry, why don't you slow down & make something nice? Of course I'm jerking your chain. You really do nice work, and it shows! I don't have 4wd on a tractor, but I know how crappy it is to tear a boot on my Honda Foreman! That oughta protect just fine!

#5 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted May 29, 2010 - 12:36 PM

Larry, why don't you slow down & make something nice? Of course I'm jerking your chain. You really do nice work, and it shows! I don't have 4wd on a tractor, but I know how crappy it is to tear a boot on my Honda Foreman! That oughta protect just fine!

Thanks Daniel ,Maynard,& TractorMike its been wet here so it was something to do in the shop on a rainy day.Had thought about it earlier but didn't have the time.Just looked at what I thought might be a good way to go and this is the end result of a afternoon of playing in the shop.{painted them up yesterday between rain showers used the Massey mirror black}Larry.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 29, 2010 - 05:28 PM

I'm gonna tell a "dumb moment" of mine. Massey dealer had paint on sale. Needed some gloss black, then seen the "mirror black" on sale. Sounded shiny to me, as a mirror reflects...right? WRONG! Got ready to paint, then seen it was the flatest black ever known to man. Just like the black on the backside of a mirror! LOL

#7 Encrypt OFFLINE  

Encrypt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 502
  • 9 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted May 29, 2010 - 07:22 PM

Looks good!