• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Nonyab OFFLINE  

Nonyab

• Member No: 8179
  • 1 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 03:18 PM

I am becoming familiar with my tractor, checking out all the linkage and other things to determine what needs attention. The main thing I have found is the brake pedal operation needs work. In my attempt to get it working properly and check the adjustments I have a question that I need help with. When the brake is released does the pedal come all the way up to the stop bracket that the lock goes against? I can pull it all the way up by hand but am not sure if it is suppose to come all the way up on its own. I have attached a couple pics to show where it stops by itself>DSC01636.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01635.jpg

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 05:36 PM

Welcome Nonyab. I don't have any CC's but it looks like there is a dent in the stop and a mark on the brake pedal arm and that makes it look like it should come back to the stop. There may be a spring broken or lost from the linkage. Do you have a parts diagram you can look at to check.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 05:40 PM

There is an operators manual in our manuals section that you can download. It has a section on adjusting the brakes. It looks like your pedal is not where it should be.

#4 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Nonyab, The pedal should come up to the stop. It may have a weak spring or as Bryan said the brakes may need adjusting.

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 06:28 PM

Does it have this spring? This is from my 149, but it should be close to yours.

Posted Image

#6 Nonyab OFFLINE  

Nonyab

• Member No: 8179
  • 1 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 08:11 PM

First I want to apologize for the way my post looked. While I was trying to straighten the pics and narrative it posted and I did not know it until I tried to post the corrected version.

For Amigatec, I do not have this spring on my linkage. I have two springs to the frame, one on each side, that are about 6-8" long but they are slack. The guy that gave me this tractor said the break pedal has never come back to the stop by itself. The pedal binds when it has retracted as far as it can on its own but can be pulled to contact the stop by hand. I don't think this is right.

I have downloaded all owners, service, engine and operators manuals I have found, none of them show a diagram or pic of the linkage installation. I am continuing my search for a diagram but any suggestion as to where to look would be appreciated.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 05:10 AM

Nonyab, no need to apologize about the post. It takes a while to get used to posting. I would suggest that you disconnect the linkage at the brake end, if that is not too difficult and make sure it is operating freely throughout it's travel. Did you have a look at the adjustment procedure in the operators manual. That may give you a clue to what has happened. It's also possible that the linkage is not assembled properly so a few pictures for the experts on here would help.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 05:28 AM

Nonyab,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 05:47 AM

Wish I could help, but I don't have a hydro. I looked in the service manual for anything on this and it is rather vague to me. It could be the springs you have on there are stretched/too long. Then again, I look at Amigatec's pic and think there should be a spring like that on there.
Amigatec, is the left side of the spring attachment on the brake pedal cross shaft? Would all this be similar to what is on a 108? Just trying to understand what he is supposed to have under there.

I went to the Cub Parts Lookup and here is a pic of the brake linkage for the 1811. It only has two springs that are back by the caliper. They are part # 932-0260, $10.35 each. If there isn't sufficient adjustment to take the slack out, then the springs need replaced.
1811Brake.jpg

Edited by KennyP, January 19, 2012 - 06:01 AM.
Found info

#10 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 05:59 AM

Wish I could help, but I don't have a hydro. I looked in the service manual for anything on this and it is rather vague to me. It could be the springs you have on there are stretched/too long. Then again, I look at Amigatec's pic and think there should be a spring like that on there.
Amigatec, is the left side of the spring attachment on the brake pedal cross shaft? Would all this be similar to what is on a 108? Just trying to understand what he is supposed to have under there.

Kenny it should the same on your 108, notice how it is hooked over the linkage, I wasn't sure it went until I looked at my 129. The spring on my 149 was missing and the pedal just flopped around. This spring is on the right side of the tractor, the shaft under the spring is the support bar for the fenders.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 06:02 AM

I just edited my prior post. It has a pic of what is on the 1811, and there is a third spring. I'll get that part #. Thanks.

Time for coffee! Missed the third spring above. Part # 932-3010, $8.07.

Nonyab, if you don't have all three springs, then it won't work right.

Edited by KennyP, January 19, 2012 - 06:09 AM.
Third spring

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 06:18 AM

After looking this all over, I think the single front spring is what pulls the pedal up/releases the brake. Then you use the 1/2" wood to adjust the individual brakes so there is slight tension on the calipers. That must be missing. The spring is in stock where I checked, not sure what shipping will be.
Glad I got the coffee to get my eyes to open wider this morning.

#13 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 11:04 AM

Just spray the rock shaft where it comes thru the frame on both sides. They tend to get a little rusty over time and bind up a little. My 1641 cub has periodically givin me problems. I shoot it with a little PB Blaster in the spring and work it in and it"s good as new. Or you can take the whole rock shaft out and clean it up and grease it. Big PITA to do that.

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 11:11 AM

It's nice to see everyone stepping up to help a new member. Thanks guys!!

#15 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 11:18 AM

Here are some pics of the spring in question. As you are sitting on the tractor with the tunnel cover off the spring will be on the left side bottom and run along the frame to the brake rockshaft.

Attached Thumbnails

• 101_4171.jpg
  • 101_4173.jpg

• KennyP said thank you