#1 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 07:21 AM

I just received an email from Wild Blue on their new satellite technology (whatever?) called Exede. With speeds at 5 Mbps and 12 Mbps and priced at $49.99, it's sounds good. I have Hughesnet now for 3 years, original plan was at 1.6 Mbps (no longer available) and I think they moved my speeds down to 1.0 Mbps. I'm not satisfied at all with Hughesnet and for what I pay for it, it's too slow.

Being in a rural area, the only options I have is dial-up and satellite. The only cell phone coverage I have is ATT and it's at only 2G with an occasional 3G. Verizon doesn't have any coverage, nor does Sprint and T-Mobile is only 2G. So a new system coming in at 12 Mbps with half the cost of what I'm currently paying sounds almost too good to be true. Down side is, I'm seeing scuttlebutt on Wild Blue's forums that the cap is at 7.5 Gb per month and they're not hesitant about cutting you back to slower than dial-up speeds. I ran over the cap on Hughesnet a couple of times and it's not fun being there.

Any thoughts or comments or has anyone heard anything about Exede and the cap limits?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 08:30 AM

I just received an email from Wild Blue on their new satellite technology (whatever?) called Exede. With speeds at 5 Mbps and 12 Mbps and priced at $49.99, it's sounds good. I have Hughesnet now for 3 years, original plan was at 1.6 Mbps (no longer available) and I think they moved my speeds down to 1.0 Mbps. I'm not satisfied at all with Hughesnet and for what I pay for it, it's too slow.

Being in a rural area, the only options I have is dial-up and satellite. The only cell phone coverage I have is ATT and it's at only 2G with an occasional 3G. Verizon doesn't have any coverage, nor does Sprint and T-Mobile is only 2G. So a new system coming in at 12 Mbps with half the cost of what I'm currently paying sounds almost too good to be true. Down side is, I'm seeing scuttlebutt on Wild Blue's forums that the cap is at 7.5 Gb per month and they're not hesitant about cutting you back to slower than dial-up speeds. I ran over the cap on Hughesnet a couple of times and it's not fun being there.

Any thoughts or comments or has anyone heard anything about Exede and the cap limits?

I am not familiar with either of the services to really provide great information. I know we have had trouble with some members that were on Hughesnet because of the cache servers they use to lessen the bandwidth because of their over taxed system.

7.5gb a month is a decent bit of data, I know I go over that by at least 10 times if not more. Do they have any additional features that can be added to raise the cap?

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 11:20 AM

It's interesting to see the IP service options that other locations have. We has DSL until about 6 months ago. The local provider Bell Aliant installed fiber optic service in our neighborhood and we subscribed. BW is 15mbps up and down and as far as I know there is no cap on data, at least not yet. This company has a history of changing the rules after they hook you. My father who is in a rural area is paying for their ultra high speed service and he doesn't have enough BW to run Skipe. His complaints have repeatedly fallen on deaf ears so he is going to another vender and will need an antenae on his house to get service wirelessly from a transmitter about 5 miles away. The cost of communications have spiralled in the last 10years or so and many people here are paying more for com then for electricity. Someone is making big$ on this.

Edited by JDBrian, January 20, 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 05:54 PM

I had Wildblue for a while and had a few problems with them. I was "FAPING out" every day and was charged for bw I wasn't using. I also had a lot of cache problems, I had to forget youtube. I had the dish go out and had to 3 days toget it fixed. I was glad when I left.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Reading this thread, I will complain about my Internet (DSL) a lot less.

Supposed to be 6 Mbps down, 1.5mbps up

Edited by MH81, January 18, 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 06:16 AM

At the time Wildblue was cheaper than DSL the phone company raised their prices to $113 a month foe 1 phone line and DSL. We already had Cell phone so I dropped the phone company and went with WB instead. A few month later the phone company went broke and was bought out. We still the Cell phone for all calls, we have 750 anytime minutes and the only time we ever went was when the kid spent 3 hours on the hour with has GF. We use a Dock-N-Talk to run the cell phone though.

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 11:45 AM

I had Hughesnet a few years ago. It was the only thing we could get besides dialup for about 9 years. I hated Hughesnet because of the fap but my cap was like 256 mb. It was expensive with poor customer service and when it rained guess what we lost... I was so glad to get DSL. It seems to me that I read there was a movement to wire the whole country with Broadband and the Government was going to help fund it. I wonder what ever happened to that.

Another option for those who can't get cable or DSL is some electric companies have been experimenting with running broadband over the electric lines. Check with your Electrical provider and see if they provide the service.

#8 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 07:48 AM

I contacted my electric company and they said they have been looking into on how to bring broadband to their customers. But no time table nor location has been established.

I also contacted the nearest cable company about extending their line 3 miles to include myself and other houses in my area. They said they will start a trade study to investigate it. Both of these doesn't sound like they will move too fast in the near future, but I guess it's a start.