• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 timflury OFFLINE  

timflury

• Member No: 7707
  • 6 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 07:47 PM

That's the tractor! Yes wonder boy rings a bell. I think it had chrome hub caps too. Thanks Timflury for posting a pic. Steve....

As we speak, my WB is strewn across my basement floor waiting for cleaning, stripping, painting and reassembly.
  • sieborg400 and TenPn have said thanks

#17 sieborg400 OFFLINE  

sieborg400

• Member No: 8226
  • 22 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Thanks again Tim. That's the old girl. It was a fun tractor as I remember as a kid. The front end would lock hard if you turned it too sharp. I have my mower deck for my Bolens strewn across the breeze way at home too. Send me some pics! Steve...........

#18 yeoman OFFLINE  

yeoman
  • Member No: 32846
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:34 PM

The Yeoman I have has that same transmission and I am having the same issue. I took the plastic plug off of the top and I can see the end of the shift lever move up and down in the slot, no problem. However, the issue is when it gets in the gear shift "block", the "block" won't move side to side. It's like they are frozen on a shaft.

I was told that the tractor had to be idling to be able to shift into gear. Is that true? If that is I'd rather just reinstall the thing and put new oil in it. I did things a little backwards and attacked the tranny "issue" before I got the engine running. I don't think it's run in 20 years or so. (also where's the stock position of the battery?)

I would like to free them up without taking the trans apart if possible as this tranny looks pretty stout and my gut says it should work once the blocks are free. If anyone has experience with this please chime in. Next chance I get I will try to get those blocks to move and report back. wish me luck!

#19 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 09:08 AM

Welcome to GTtalk yeoman! Which model Yeoman do you have?

The shift forks may indeed be frozen with rust. You may have to split the case to clean up any rusted shafts. If you try to force the shift lever, you may bend or break the shift rod (pin). This repair manual can be used for your transmission, if you need it.

The tractor doesn't have to be idling to shift into gear, but the transmission input pulley/shaft will have to be stopped.

The battery for the electric start was mounted behind the grille, in front of the engine, on the grille support. It used a small battery, like used in motorcycles.

Hope this helps.

#20 yeoman OFFLINE  

yeoman
  • Member No: 32846
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hello GTFanatic,

I have the 627. It was my father in law's. He put on a bigger motor with electric start and really geared the thing up. I guess we'll see when I get the thing up and running.

I took the tranny out and managed to get the forks free with wd 40 through the removable plug and some wiggling. I really thought I was going to have to get into the tranny but glad I didn't. I am trying to find the time to put the whole thing back together.

Thank you for the manual, that sure helps!