Anybody got any pictures?
  • TenPn said thank you

#2 simplicityac nut OFFLINE  

simplicityac nut

• Member No: 7897
  • 18 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 09:46 PM

thatd be a broadmoor and im pretty sure it had a tuff torq K-57 hydro,heres a pic too but it isnt my mower lol

Attached Thumbnails

• 728.jpg

#3 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 10:31 PM

What transmission they use in these?
Anybody got any pictures?

They use a Simplicity design 3-speed.
Are you looking for pics of a 728 or of the transmission?

I don't have any specific pics of the transmission as I was actually taking them of something else but here are two that kind of show the trans from two different angles.
These are pics of my Homesteader which uses the same transmission and is basically the same mechanically as the 728 but with slightly different dash and front sheetmetal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 08:55 AM

As has been posted they have a Simplicity designed 3 speed tranny. One of the unique things about these smaller tractors is that the front axle is welded solid to the frame and the frame pivots in the middle just ahead of the seat to allow for going over uneven ground.

#5 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 02:53 PM

I have a 738 Broadmoor which is the newer version of the 728 and they appear to be almost identical except for the engines.

Every one I've seen have a 3 speed trans not a hydrostatic, but rumors are there was an add-on Hi-Lo setup for them ?

Great little tractor mows well and has allot of torque, I would go as far as calling it a heavy/super LT but not a full GT.

Canawler are those pics of you're Homesteader that had the broken pivot mount ?

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0809.jpg
  • IMG_0808.jpg
  • IMG_0812.jpg
  • IMG_0807.jpg
  • IMG_0801.jpg

#6 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the response guys.

I have a buddy that has one of these tractors and the transmission is looked up, shifter moves but won't go int neutral.
To me is sounds like shifter forks out of aline like what happens in the peerless 4 speeds but ???
Any Ideas?

ecorider046.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• house325.jpg

Edited by DH1, January 18, 2012 - 04:53 PM.
added pic

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Every one I've seen have a 3 speed trans not a hydrostatic, but rumors are there was an add-on Hi-Lo setup for them ?

The early Broadmoors (un-numbered, 707, 717) used a two speed transmission that had the option of a hi-lo pulley. Newer ones (727, 728, 738, 5000 system) just had a three speed tranny.

Great little tractor mows well and has allot of torque, I would go as far as calling it a heavy/super LT but not a full GT.

Canawler are those pics of you're Homesteader that had the broken pivot mount ?

Ron

Agreed, great little tractors. It's probably my favorite to use right now. It never fails to bring a smile to my face, and that's saying something.:thumbs:

Yes, those pics were from the broken pivot bracket incident. The pivot worked fine but the post bracket broke. Look closely at the first picture. You can see the break. I don't have a welder so I took the tranny and the bracket to my local fab. guy and he welded it up and added some reinforcing pieces.

I have a buddy that has one of these tractors and the transmission is looked up, shifter moves but won't go int neutral.
To me is sounds like shifter forks out of aline like what happens in the peerless 4 speeds but ???
Any Ideas?

Unfortunately, I haven't been inside my transmission yet so I'm not going to me much help. If the shifter moves but doesn't seem to be doing anything I would make sure everything is ok at the pivot point. From the parts books, it looks like there is a two piece spherical bushing where the shifter goes into the tranny. Also make sure the bolt that holds the shifter lever to the shift arm is still in place and the shifter is still in the guide hole in the tranny mounting brackets. It's easier to see it than to describe it.:confuse: The manuals available on Simplicity's site have a good parts breakdown for the transmission that kind of shows how everything goes together.
One more thing, the manual mentions not to loosen a couple of what appear to be tranny mounting bracket-to-tranny bolts as they adjust the shift rails. Get a copy of the manual if really tearing into this.

#8 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 11:34 AM

Agreed, great little tractors. It's probably my favorite to use right now. It never fails to bring a smile to my face, and that's saying something.:thumbs:

Yes, those pics were from the broken pivot bracket incident. The pivot worked fine but the post bracket broke. Look closely at the first picture. You can see the break. I don't have a welder so I took the tranny and the bracket to my local fab. guy and he welded it up and added some reinforcing pieces.

I thought I remembered that indecent on the other forum, Glad you weren't hurt and you got it repaired.

You're right it is a fun machine to mow with, the turning radius is awesome (almost as good as a Z-turn), the articulated rear axle did take some getting used to but now that I have I really like it.

Ron

#9 herbfarts OFFLINE  

herbfarts

• Member No: 8286
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hi there DH1, I own three simps. 728, Great little machine. Nice job on lawn stripes, one thing I will tell you from experience is DON'T forget to grease the fitting for the center swivel under tractor in the middle. I forgot for far to long and broke mine. took it off and welded, working fine with GREASE added when I grease machine. Good luck! Herb

#10 sieborg400 OFFLINE  

sieborg400

• Member No: 8226
  • 22 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 09:56 PM

Hello everyone. I am a new member. Bolens guy. I just had to ask if any one remembers a Simplicity tractor with a rear mounted engine. My Grand father gave the family one back in the day. I used it to mow the extra lot next to the house . If I took the deck off it would raise the front tires off the ground! Fun for a eight year old kid!If any one has some pics or info on this tractor i would really appreciate it. Steve....

#11 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 03:24 AM

Hello everyone. I am a new member. Bolens guy. I just had to ask if any one remembers a Simplicity tractor with a rear mounted engine. My Grand father gave the family one back in the day. I used it to mow the extra lot next to the house . If I took the deck off it would raise the front tires off the ground! Fun for a eight year old kid!If any one has some pics or info on this tractor i would really appreciate it. Steve....

Did it by chance have a front mounted deck and what looked like a stake truck bed in the back ?

Ron

#12 timflury OFFLINE  

timflury

• Member No: 7707
  • 6 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 09:48 AM

Did it by chance have a front mounted deck and what looked like a stake truck bed in the back ?

Ron

I betcha he's referring to the old Wonder-Boy machines.

Attached Thumbnails

• plow1.jpg

#13 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 07:23 PM

Unfortunately, I haven't been inside my transmission yet so I'm not going to me much help. If the shifter moves but doesn't seem to be doing anything I would make sure everything is ok at the pivot point. From the parts books, it looks like there is a two piece spherical bushing where the shifter goes into the tranny. Also make sure the bolt that holds the shifter lever to the shift arm is still in place and the shifter is still in the guide hole in the tranny mounting brackets. It's easier to see it than to describe it.:confuse: The manuals available on Simplicity's site have a good parts breakdown for the transmission that kind of shows how everything goes together.
One more thing, the manual mentions not to loosen a couple of what appear to be tranny mounting bracket-to-tranny bolts as they adjust the shift rails. Get a copy of the manual if really tearing into this.

It sounds to me like the problem could be the Detent's in the shifter forks or maybe those Bolts you speak of???

Any thoughts?

#14 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 11:32 AM

There's a plug in the top of the transmission that you can remove and you may be able to see inside to see what the trouble may be.

This may help.
  • herbfarts said thank you

#15 sieborg400 OFFLINE  

sieborg400

• Member No: 8226
  • 22 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 01:28 PM

That's the tractor! Yes wonder boy rings a bell. I think it had chrome hub caps too. Thanks Timflury for posting a pic. Steve....