wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 05:34 PM

Ok, as some of you remember I have been having issues getting the Caterpillar running lately so I finally decided today I had to mess with its carb some... stupid thing... but anyway... I took the float out (top half) the high speed jet, the idle jet, and all sorts of air pressure and cleaned it out the best I could... turn the key after reassembly... same result... big nothing... it should have spark because it runs great... just cant get it started right now. I had been starting it full throttle but that is hit and miss due to flooding... it is getting fuel, it has compression enough to run because it has been running... and the new magneto was providing spark... so it should still be... Going to try to make it run tomorrow, then call it quits... mabey...

#2 whitelt120 OFFLINE  

whitelt120

• Member No: 5024
  • 17 Thanks
  • 119 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 05:59 PM

I have all the same problems on nearly everything I own

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 06:01 PM

Don't give up Casey. Remember: Fuel, Air, Fire...

#4 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 06:12 PM

Throw a different spark plug in it even if the current one is new.

Edited by Michiganmobileman, January 17, 2012 - 06:23 PM.
Typo

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 06:12 PM

Alan, I keep run fuel, air, fire through my head and get the same results... flooding, so theres fuel, I'm breathing, so there's air, and the magneto is there, new plugs, new stuff, it used to run so I know I did have spark last time it ran, and when it did run it was at high rpm starts, and sounded just as normal as before... so what the heck is wrong... I do NOT want to have to yank the engine and change that brand new magneto again... going to try to test spark on it tomorrow... I know I have never ever been able to see the spark with either magneto until the old one got 12 volts, good spark then :( I hate when stuff won't just work like it had been... exactly the reason I NEVER wanted to touch the ignition system... but NO ONE.. not even Briggs, seem to make any remark that (other than the name MAGENTRON) that it is a MAGNETO, only an "ignition unit" in the manual, or "ignition coil" on the internet... it's no wonder I ended up frying the old one with the diagram and the non stock key switch... I truely believed it was supposed to get 12 volts to work, since ignition coils generally require that.... and now I cant get the once trusty tractor to run again.. at least without hours of frustration cussing, and a visit from Ed (or the last time it ever acted normal).

#6 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Casey i will say try to rebuild the carb.Two much fuel will not run and same with two little.Did you set the float correct?If you have good blue spark then it would have to be fuel or air.Did you put the correct key switch in it?Is the gap set on the mag to fywheel correct?
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 06:58 PM

Bob, do you have any carb rebuilt kits in stock? I did not tamper with the float even though I had it out with the top half of the carb. No blue spark but the gap was set correctly based on the magneto's instruction sheet. As for the key switch, the key switch works in the application it is being utilized.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 07:45 PM

I feel for you Casey , it stinks when engines that you know should run don't . I guess if it was me , from what you have described . I would shut off all the gas going to the carb, fuel shut off or disconnecting the line . Stick a new spark plug in and give it a shot of ether ( not a whole can ) then go from there , Al

#9 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 09:08 PM

have you checked the flywheel key? sometimes it is the problem. key the can be sheared a little and the spark is off timing.

you will find the problem soon.
good luck

#10 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 09:24 PM

I feel for you Casey , it stinks when engines that you know should run don't . I guess if it was me , from what you have described . I would shut off all the gas going to the carb, fuel shut off or disconnecting the line . Stick a new spark plug in and give it a shot of ether ( not a whole can ) then go from there , Al

:ditto:and also you said that your spark wasn't blue. If it just has a little bit of white/orangish spark it isn't enough, it's gotta be a good bright blue spark. Do like Al said though, give it a shot of go juice while cranking it and if it doesn't catch it's not a fuel issue, but a spark one.

#11 simplicityac nut OFFLINE  

simplicityac nut

• Member No: 7897
  • 18 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 09:52 PM

yeah its pretty frustrating when ur tryin to get somethin runnin and everything u do doesnt work,i know exactly how u feel

#12 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 10:01 PM

Just a friendly reminder that either probably won't help if the engine is flooded. I may have missed this but is the plug or plugs wet when you checked them?
I hope you get this resolved before long. These things can drive a person nuts.

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 10:07 PM

I believe the nuts, I chased the last tractor until I finally declared it a once a year tractor and it parks OUTSIDE!! This tractor however, is my go to tractor, or supposed to be, and I need to get it to work properly, I have a lot of money in it right now.

Tomorrow I will try to get it to start one time and let it run until I can't stand listening to it any more!! And trust me, I will make it run tomorrow, without fail, even if I have to spend all day.

#14 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 01:07 AM

I hope it starts on the first crank! Good Luck.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 01:59 AM

If any of you see a shooting star or blow out your birthday candles need help coming up with a wish, please, don't forget about me lol.