mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 10:03 PM

One more update from Vince...
Well guys we're under 30 days now and Im getting excited! Some of you know I ride past the fields every day to and from work, and if I run to the store for a cherry pie! Today I stopped in and talked with Frank Sr and Darryl about the fields. Heres the skinny, the back fields, the ones that were in raised beds last year, the rye is up over my knees! Who would have thought it would be this warm. So they need to turn them under soon. I asked Darryl if it could be mowed with a bush hog and he said he and his dad would talk about it. Remember, this is their farm and their lively hood so we're at their mercy. But the nice thing is if they turn the back fields, about 10 to 15 acres, that still leaves us all the front, and the side that we didnt even do last year. Also some of the fields we plowed last year were turned 3 weeks before we were there and the rain firmed it back up perfect for us. Im not a superstitious person, but the farmers almanac has the week and half leading up to plow day dry. So lets keep our fingers crossed, rabbits feet out, and all the horse shoes up! LOL

FOOD
Food will be served again, this year with a twist. Frank and Teresa are kind enough to BUY US LUNCH! Thats right, their business Ferguson Equipment Co, will be supplying the hot dogs, chili, and something else, we havent figured it out yet. So big thanks to Frank and Teresa for this! They had a blast meeting you all last year and I know Frank cant wait to do this again.

SHIRTS
I ordered the shirts today. Wanna thank everyone for their interest in this. We didnt end up with the amount that I had planed so there will be some there for sale, dont know how many to meet the lowest cost price.

FRIDAY NIGHT
On Friday night Id like to get everyone together thats in from out of town and have dinner at Golden Coral. This was really started with the first plow day, Allen C, Jenn, Lyle B (who is no longer with us), and Collin. Its kinda nice to sit around BS and get to put names and faces together. It has always been a good time.

DOOR PRIZES
Im still working on them. As you all know its been hard on so many again this year, seems like it been like this for the whole run of plow day, but the ones I have secured are nice. Someone is going to walk away with I know, what I think is a really cool door prize. So when you come in and see Jen for your shirts get a ticket and we will draw the prizes at lunch. The cost is still 5 bucks to get in, whether you plow or not. Operators meeting at 9am. YOU MUST SIGN THE RELEASE FORM TO BE IN THE FENCE, NO EXCEPTIONS. LETS REMEMBER SAFETY FIRST!

WEEKEND BEFORE
If anyone would like to help out and mow the Sat before I and a few others will be at the fields to mow and get things ready.

SOME PICS FROM LAST YEAR, THANKS DAVE!
http://s1023.photobu....view=slideshow

Thanks Vince!

#17 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 12:47 PM

Just got this from Vince. Im sure his head is spinning but in reality, its just a different place for us to enter into our GPS. No big deal.

To all who plan on attending the plow day, please pay attention.

Due to unforeseen circumstances the plow day location has changed.

It will be only 20 minutes away from the original site, so no worries.

Please hold off on any questions for now. Details are being finalized and you will be informed soon.

Thank you for your understanding and patients.

Vince

#18 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 09:59 PM

Ok guys here we go. Im going to go and talk with the manager Mon night after work and get the back room for dinner.

Golden Corral
3240 North Pleasantburg Drive, Greenville, SC

Next, Frank will have hot dogs for everyone Sat for lunch. Jen and kathy are going to bake some cookies ect. As always if you want some more, bring some stuff to go with it. Ill have some drinks there but you may want to bring your own.

A little about where we are plowing at.

http://www.mybeechwo...ut_Us_GCY1.html

NEW ADDRESS: 184 County Road 526, Travelers Rest, SC 29690 Also known as Bates Bridge Rd.

Mr Ferguson was kind enough to mention the plow day to Billy, and Mike Jackson did some digging for me in a pinch and got me in touch with Billy, Thank you to both. These fields are all done and planted, except the ones we will be plowing. He is kind enough to hold back 1 week for us to come play, hes kinda really looking forward to seeing this! PLEASE be verry careful as we will be parking right next to the berries. Also there is a lot of irrgation along the road where we will be parked. Please remember, we need to keep the main road open for their tractors and what ever the thing is called that rolls the plastic and makes the beds as this is still a working farm and they will be using these roads to get to the other fields.

Those of you coming in Fri night and want to drop the trailers, Robert, Dave Adam Aaron will get you where you need to be. Ill put all the swap meet stuff near the packing house. In the past we have just put a piece of tape on something with your name and price. This way if someone want something they will know whos it is.

For those of you that got rooms in Travelers Rest, this wont be far for you at all. For those that got rooms in Greer, its going to add about 15 min on to your trip to the fields. For those of you coming from Iowa, Im cutting 50 min of the trip! For those of us stayin at the farm fri night we will figure out a spot to camp fri morning. Billy sugested at the top of the red hill, man its nice up there, you can see the whole farm from there!

The cost is 5 bucks to get in, Ill send out a copy of the waver after Billy has looked at it and feels its ok with his family. This way if you want you can print it and bring it with you. It will be easier on Jen Im sure. She will be set up next to the packing house and the lunch tent. also for those of you that got shirts, she will have them for you.

IF weather becomes a problem, Ill start sending out emails lunch time Wed and calling people so they dont get loaded for nuttin.

Ok the fields. The first one we will be plowing has been disked and Its about 8 acres. Nice sandy soil. Next the big red field, it hasnt been disked in a few years from the look of it. It will go from sandy soil to hard red clay! I dont think its as hard as that one strip at mayfield, but who knows! This may bring a good challenge for us! Also the google map is not up to date for sure looking at it. Billy says its between 6 and 8 acres. Then theres a few other smaller 2 and 4 acrer tracts to plow. I know for a fact that travelling between the first field and the second field, will be a long time in the seat! But on short notice, theres not much we can do. Like Billy said if we could have seen in the future he would have saved a big bottom for us.

Remember the drivers meeting is still at 9am so please try to be there. Get there early to get the deals at the swap meet which will be directly behind the packing house right at the beginning of the driveway. Any more questions, please dont hesitate to PM me.

Heres a new and updates map of the fields;

Posted Image

Edited by mowinman2, March 16, 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#19 wrbourget OFFLINE  

wrbourget

• Member No: 6649
  • 28 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 08:12 PM

I was wondering if it's comon place for others to help others that can't get there with there tractors, I would love to get my 990 to a plow day event and do some serious plowing with it. I have a truck and trailer but my truck isn't in any shape to make a trip like that, the trailer is but not the truck.

#20 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 05:55 PM

I think it would be very common for people in this hobby to help someone out. Im hauling 6 tractors to this plow day for some friends. It helps to have a lot of friends in this hobby as connections make the world go 'round. If you see that there is a plow day near you, simply ask on that forum if anyone would be willing to come by and pick you up. Makes for great conversation to and from, and lightens their expense on the gas bill.

#21 wrbourget OFFLINE  

wrbourget

• Member No: 6649
  • 28 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 08:19 PM

I think it would be very common for people in this hobby to help someone out. Im hauling 6 tractors to this plow day for some friends. It helps to have a lot of friends in this hobby as connections make the world go 'round. If you see that there is a plow day near you, simply ask on that forum if anyone would be willing to come by and pick you up. Makes for great conversation to and from, and lightens their expense on the gas bill.

I was talking with a man that i trade parts and bought a Cub Cadet from and he offered me a spot on his trailer the next time he is heading out to Pa. so I guess i going to my first, but in the mean time i was having a plow day of my own this weater is unreal I'm getting an early start on my garden.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0627.JPG
  • 100_0629.JPG

#22 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 08:37 PM

Glad to hear you may be getting a lift to a gathering of affictionados. What sort of tractor is that? Looks like a Case or Ingersoll.

Edited by HowardsMF155, March 22, 2012 - 08:38 PM.

#23 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 10:19 PM

Thanks to Vince for hosting another great plow day.

The five of us from the Dixie Turf Toys had a great time coming down and turning dirt in SC. It was really good to meet some new people and see some old friends. Rick and Don from Missouri were a pleasure to hang out with. It was a big gamble for them to drive all the way here with the weather they were calling for. Luckily, we didnt get too much rain and even though it was a bit sloppy in some places, I think the dirt was ok after about 2 inches deep.

We got there on Friday so we went on a little ride about with Vince. Went up on top of the hill for a birds eye of the farm. 500 acres for vegetables and fruits. Then the Power King guys made it in as well as Cookie Man, so we went ahead and plowed a field Friday evening. That was some of the easiest, smoothest plowing dirt I've ever turned.

In this picture slide show, when you get to the Browns nice industrial JD 300, thats the start of Saturdays plow day. The last pic is of my newly acquired Brinly 3pt tandem discs. Enjoy!
http://s1023.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

• grand, coldone and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#24 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Looks like everybody enjoyed the plow day. Thanks for posting the pics. The first plow day we can attend in our neck of the woods is in 2 weeks. Seeing your pics makes me even more excited to get plowing.