Garden Tractor Forums banner

New HD-12 owner, need help with oil leak.

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  olcowhand 
#1 ·
HI, I recently have gotten a Bush Hog HD-12 that I'm trying to get back into working condition. Right now, the Wisconsin is running good but smokes badly and it likes to stall-out when the points cover fills up with oil, lol.
Anyhow I come to the hydro-drive, this is where my worst oil leak is. The speed control shaft is leaking like crazy and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for the o-rings to fix this. With my new manual in hand (thanks olcowhand) I already changed the o-rings at the top but it didn't help, I'm thinking that I have to go deeper and change the ones on the shaft itself. So I'm hoping someone might know what I'm getting myself into by pulling this shaft out to match new o-rings

#2 ·
Welcome to GTT!

There are a couple Bush Hog owners on here that should be able to help you out.

As for the wisconsin, it sounds like its time for a rebuild. Many times the piston and crank are in good condition and you can usually get by with just a new set of rings, gaskets, and lapping/ grinding the valves.
There is a complete service manual in the manuals section here that shows you how to take apart the engine.

#5 ·
After careful study, I found there are not anymore o-rings under there. So I pulled it apart again and put larger o-rings in there, it seems to have slowed greatly so now I can go onto slowing the other leaks.lol

#6 ·
48willys said:
After careful study, I found there are not anymore o-rings under there. So I pulled it apart again and put larger o-rings in there, it seems to have slowed greatly so now I can go onto slowing the other leaks.lol
I am so sorry I missed this thread! I never wanna leave a Bush Hog guy swaying in the breeze. Glad you're finding what's needed for the repairs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.