Time to vote for Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bolens 1000 mower deck belt replacement procedure ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TMB OFFLINE  

TMB

• Member No: 470
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 27, 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hi all,

Am working on getting my Dad's 1965 Bolens 1000 going again. Took the mower deck out from underneath the 1000, but looks like it has to be disassembled quite a bit to get the belt/pully cover off to get access to the mower deck belt - would there happen to be anyone that can point me in the direction of a procedure on how to do this ?

Thanks,

TB in NC

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,611 Thanks
  • 17,558 posts

Posted May 27, 2010 - 03:49 PM

Welcome to the Forum, TMB :welcometogttalk:
You will find that this is a fun and informative place!

I'm going to put this thread in the Bolens Forum , and then I'll give you some step by step directions on how to do this :)

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 13,611 Thanks
  • 17,558 posts

Posted May 27, 2010 - 04:01 PM

Here is what you have to do.
Hope this helps.
If you are still having trouble let me know :thumbs:

And also, we love pictures on here so if you can get some pictures of your Bolens that would be great :bounce:

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens painted d
.jpg
  • deck diagram..jpg
  • bolens painted d
.jpg

Edited by Bolens 1000, May 27, 2010 - 04:08 PM.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 27, 2010 - 04:11 PM

:welcometogttalk:TMB glad to have you here.

#5 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted May 27, 2010 - 09:27 PM

Great information for me to have too. Now I know what to expect when ever I get to working on mine. Sure hope I can make it look as good as yours, someday, Brian!

#6 TMB OFFLINE  

TMB

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 28, 2010 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks.

And thank you for the pics and the hints ! I got going on it yesterday and also had to loosen the gearbox to get the belt out from underneath the drive pulley... 2 of the 3 spindles rattle and make noise quite a bit... so... I'll be in the market for mower deck replacement parts of spindle bearings, a new belt, and a new idler pulley as well.... would samsbolens be the best place to go ? Oh - also need the 2 transmission drive belts from the engine to the transmission drive shaft pulleys...(34 inchers according to the downloased manual) any specs available for the mower deck belt ?.... and might as well replace the self-centering bearing for the front end of the transmission drive shaft.

Your mower deck pics look like it is a new one ! Nice job on the restoration ! Dad's is in excellent shape rust-wise, but no where near as good looking...

Thanks again, and recommendations on parts suppliers are most welcome (I did see a list of them from several years ago, but am not sure which ones are the best to go to...)

Hope everyone has a great weekend...

Thomas

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,289 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 28, 2010 - 08:33 AM

Sam's or Sonny's and there is a fella Rick Show, his username on ebay is blackjackjake or something similar. We have gotten quite a bit of stuff from him. Joes outdoor power carries some bolens stuff also. You can also check at a Bolens dealer as some of them still have NLA or NOS parts available. Ray's mower shop near Philly, PA is another good place.

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 13,611 Thanks
  • 17,558 posts

Posted May 28, 2010 - 03:38 PM

Sam's or Sonny's and there is a fella Rick Show, his username on ebay is blackjackjake or something similar. We have gotten quite a bit of stuff from him. Joes outdoor power carries some bolens stuff also. You can also check at a Bolens dealer as some of them still have NLA or NOS parts available. Ray's mower shop near Philly, PA is another good place.

:ditto:

The deck belt measures: 114-5/32'' (got this from the parts list)

The drive belts for running the driveshaft are 34''

#9 TMB OFFLINE  

TMB

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 30, 2010 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the belt measurements - downloaded the parts manual too - great resource ! Guessing that the 114 & 5/32 belt is only available at Bolens supply folks ?

Got the ole girl running sweetly yesterday - the TR10D engine just purrs along ...

Put new tapered bearings in 2 of the mower deck spindles... need to make some shims next as there is .040 up and
down play - figure that's a bit too much. Would like to get it down to maybe .015 or so - other opinions welcome
here ...

Any opinions on whether it's ok to have the dual rear wheels on the Bolens 1000 rear axles ? any potential
problems with too much stress on the axles and axle breakage ? If not, the duals on the rear would make it more
stable on the hillsides where it will be used...

Oh yes - is there an operators manual somewhere that explains how to use the big red axle hub on the left rear axle ?
there was some amount of slippage trying to go up hills until the locking pin on the right rear was engaged - it'll climb
a tree now !

Thanks,

TB in NC

#10 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 13,611 Thanks
  • 17,558 posts

Posted May 30, 2010 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the belt measurements - downloaded the parts manual too - great resource ! Guessing that the 114 & 5/32 belt is only available at Bolens supply folks ?

Yep I think you will only find that special size belt at a Bolens Dealer.

Got the ole girl running sweetly yesterday - the TR10D engine just purrs along ...

Put new tapered bearings in 2 of the mower deck spindles... need to make some shims next as there is .040 up and
down play - figure that's a bit too much. Would like to get it down to maybe .015 or so - other opinions welcome
here ...

Any opinions on whether it's ok to have the dual rear wheels on the Bolens 1000 rear axles ? any potential
problems with too much stress on the axles and axle breakage ? If not, the duals on the rear would make it more
stable on the hillsides where it will be used...

I do not see any potential problem if you were to put duals on it.

Oh yes - is there an operators manual somewhere that explains how to use the big red axle hub on the left rear axle ?
there was some amount of slippage trying to go up hills until the locking pin on the right rear was engaged - it'll climb
a tree now !

Thanks,

TB in NC

Here is al little info on the Differential:......

Attached Thumbnails

• Differential pic..jpg

#11 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 13,611 Thanks
  • 17,558 posts

Posted May 30, 2010 - 10:23 AM

You can also learn alot more about the fratures of the Bolens by Reading the Brochures in the manuals section. :thumbs:

#12 TMB OFFLINE  

TMB

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 30, 2010 - 07:11 PM

Thank you for the info on the belt :smile1: , the info on the differential, and the ptr to the brochures... that Bolens is a REALLY nice piece of machinery - going to keep my eyes open for another Bolens and attachments for same... I think I actually may prefer it to a MF10 (no mower deck yet) also in the stable....

It sure is a pleasure to work on/with such quality equipment...

Hope everyone had a good weekend !

Thomas in NC

#13 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 13,611 Thanks
  • 17,558 posts

Posted May 30, 2010 - 07:30 PM

I believe you are now in the Beginning stages of what some call "Bolens Fever".
First you find out that They are very well built and fun /easy to work on. You suddenly enjoy your first bolens so much then you want to get more and more and more.......LOL :D