Garden Tractor Forums banner

Engine swap from John Deere L110 into a GT225

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  GT225 
#1 ·
My GT225 (1999) currently has a 15 hp Kohler , wondering if anybody can tell me if the 17 hp
Kohler out of an LT 110 (2005) would match up into my tractor. Or is there somewhere that I can look this up. Thanks for the help. :confuse:

#2 ·
Welcome to the site. :wave:

I cant help you with your question but expect someone with more specific knowledge will be along soon. Thanks for joining.

#4 ·
GT225 said:
Should I be posting my question somewhere else on the site
So sorry someone has not got to you yet, may be better in the John Deere forum. I dont think you can move this post but a moderator should be able to, let me contact someone to get it moved. Go over to the John Deere forum
John Deere Garden Tractor Forum
and say hi and post your question again.

Reactions: GT225
#5 ·
#6 ·
Welcome, GT225. Just moved this over here a bit ago and I see you are getting some help. Good luck!

#8 ·
My 15 H.P. Kohler is 12 years old with over 1,000 hrs, it runs good but it seems to be getting tired. Not able to run through the snow drifts like it used to. I have a line a 17 hp Kohler for $100-150/w 175 hrs on it so I thought this might be an inexpensive way to repower.

By the way I really appreciate everyone's willingness to help on this site, glad that I could join.

#9 ·
My l110 after 700 hours (well maintained) started burning so much oil it would not start. I checked the rings, they were so worn, there was 1/4" end gap. Mine was a 2004. Maybe they were better 12 years ago. The dealer told me they are now rated to survive for 250 hours.

#11 ·
To bad they don't build them to last anymore, throw away society

My 15hp Kohler starting smoking and using oil about a year ago, turned out my head gasket was leaking. Replaced the head gasket and has been running good and not using any oil since.

#12 ·
GT225 said:
To bad they don't build them to last anymore, throw away society

My 15hp Kohler starting smoking and using oil about a year ago, turned out my head gasket was leaking. Replaced the head gasket and has been running good and not using any oil since.
They have cheapened the average tractor in order to sell it at a price point. You can still buy quality machines but the cost is very high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.