• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Dieselcowboy OFFLINE  

Dieselcowboy

• Member No: 8268
  • 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 08:35 PM

Mine has a 7hp B+S. Has a belt for forward and one for reverse. I haven't driven it yet but I assume it has 2 seeds. The whole engine moves up and down with the mower deck.

#17 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 08:53 PM

redcarkids - What you have is the Mclean Huskie. If you look close at yours and the other there are some differences. Like the plates under the seat angles. Also the steering wheel angle. The other is a Big wheel made after Mclean duo sold out.

Thanks for the info, I was going to try to make this into a personal putter for the tractor shows, We put 2 engines together to make one. It is pretty rough but lite enough to manuver around. Also got a little history leason too. thanks again

#18 Dieselcowboy OFFLINE  

Dieselcowboy

• 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Keep in mind that you have 1 of 500 or less. So atleast 2 are located now and both still close to Indianapolis.

#19 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 09:19 PM

do you have any history, manuals, flyers ect. available for copy? I am missing alot of parts and was wondering how the thing went in gear? I took off a big handle that was connected to nothing assuming it had use for the deck but now I am questioning the thought.

#20 Dieselcowboy OFFLINE  

Dieselcowboy

• 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 07:01 AM

I have no paper on these but I could take some photos of how mine is set up and working for you. Also I think this one has all it's parts and shields in unmelested condition. Handle that throttle cable is attached to is the forward and reverse and one on the steering shaft is the mower/engine up and down handle. Anything that you might be missing would be so easy to duplicate.

#21 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 03:33 PM

I have no paper on these but I could take some photos of how mine is set up and working for you. Also I think this one has all it's parts and shields in unmelested condition. Handle that throttle cable is attached to is the forward and reverse and one on the steering shaft is the mower/engine up and down handle. Anything that you might be missing would be so easy to duplicate.

I would appreciate some photos. Thanks

#22 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 04:55 PM

:wave: Dieselcowboy Welcome to GTTalk! Sorry it took me so long to say Hi. That's a very interesting mower! Shoulda figured that redcarkids would have one too LOL! Very unique. Looking forward to learning about them with the two of you!

#23 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 07:49 PM

:wave: Dieselcowboy Welcome to GTTalk! Sorry it took me so long to say Hi. That's a very interesting mower! Shoulda figured that redcarkids would have one too LOL! Very unique. Looking forward to learning about them with the two of you!

Thanks Caseguy, Just wish they were all restored, Dieselcowboy, and all, my neighbor who is a very good friend and loves John Deere mowers, Has a 64 in a display case in his house,!cid__downsized_0208001134a.jpg owner of this Mclean huskie. This Mclean mower was givin to him by a neighbor 2 miles down the road from me and him. The neighbor bought the mower when he was first married and had it 50 plus years. Jack my friend spotted it and it was given to him. He sat on it for about a year then asked if I would store it in my barn. I asked if I could work on it for a putter to go too the shows with him. He said sure. I just told him the history that I have found out about the mower, the last couple days, and he said he had some paperwork for he mower. He is in the process of looking for it . Hopefully I will have something to post tomarrow. By the way the John Deere was a 3 year project, Jack wanted the best one to show at the Portland show and drawed in a huge crowd when we showed it off 2 years ago. He made the display case also.

Attached Thumbnails

• !cid__downsized_0828001519.jpg

• sacsr said thank you

#24 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 01:44 PM

big wheel 2 001.jpg Well I got this information today. This is for the Big Wheel mower. The papers date 1988 for a model 4400 electric start Big Wheel Tractor and Mower. The company name is Bertron Corporation p.o. box 19874 Indianapolis, IN 46219.
This paperwork was sent to the neighbor down the road who originally bought the Mclean Huskei after he asked for a parts list for his mower. Since his mower was so old I think they sent him this flyer which is what they were making at that time. So this may not be a match to your mower Dieselcowboy but it may give you alittle more history on the company and changes that were made to improve the mower. The neighbor is going to look for any extra parts the may be floating around his barn that was stripped off over the years, when the weather breaks. He is in his 90 and still gets around pretty good. Also he said he bought the rusty mower I have in 1950.

Attached Thumbnails

• big wheel 001.jpg
  • big wheel 3 001.jpg
  • big wheel 4 001.jpg
  • big wheel 6.jpg
  • big wheel 5 001.jpg
  • big wheel 8 001.jpg
  • big wheel 7 001.jpg
  • big wheel 9 001.jpg
  • big wheel 10 001.jpg
  • big wheel 11 001.jpg

#25 Dieselcowboy OFFLINE  

Dieselcowboy

• 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 06:02 AM

Thats really awesome to still have those papers on this mower. Thank you for posting them on here. I know already from past searching that info on this brand is really hard to come by. Even better to basically be owned by the original owner.
  • redcarkids said thank you

#26 OldSchool OFFLINE  

OldSchool
  • Member No: 9661
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 07:11 PM

I am new to this forum and thought that this thread would be the perfect place to introduce myself as it is the way that I came upon the site anyway. I was researching info on a McLean Huskie garden tractor that I have had since I was was a kid... which I have now owned for more than 25 years. I had to join and respond along with Dieselcowboy and redcarkids to establish that there are three of these still around the Indianapolis area.

My tractor is named "Riley" after it's original owner. I don't necessarily name my things but this one is sentimental because of the story behind it. I bought the tractor in 1984 from my next door neighbor, Riley. He had bought the tractor new in 1967. I was 13 at the time and I traded him for $75 and an agreement to mow his lawn indefinitely since I was buying his mower. I used both for the next several years and mowed countless lawns with it around my neighborhood, then I put it in storage for about 10 years until I bought my first house. I got it out and got it running and mowed my first lawn for a couple of years until I could afford a mower with a bigger deck and then it went back into storage. Now that I have kids and they are getting big enough to appreciate it, I got it back out again last year and am working to get it running yet again. It will probably just be to putt around on but my boys think it is cool and that is something that I want to encourage. There is an antique tractor show down in Franklin, IN that I think it really needs to be at this year.

I remember needing parts for it and found the company that was referred to in this string who had bought out the rights to the tractors after the McLean family sold. At the time the I was buying the parts, they were not selling the mowers any longer but the owner still had a ton of parts and lived in Zionsville, IN. My dad would take me over to his house and we would buy what we needed. He had built some neat setups for his mowers. One in particular was a pull behind gang mower with three decks and a separate power head that would drive all three. As a kid, I was convinced that I needed it because i could mow my lawns so much faster ; -). Looking back, I wished I would have bought more parts. My front wheels are shot and I have not had much luck locating new ones.

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • redcarkids said thank you

#27 dougmc OFFLINE  

dougmc
  • Member No: 13147
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 08:24 AM

Hello
My name is Doug McLean. I am the youngest son of C F Mclean, Sr, founder of Universal Manufacturing Co. and borther of C F Mclean, Jr.
Dads first business was a tire vulcanizing Co in 1920 in Indianapolis. Next, was Airmore whcih made fans in the late 20's.
Universal Manufacturing had been in business from the early 1930's. Around 1987 Universal was sold. The company that bought out my dad was in business only two years before they folded. I received one of the last of the "McLean Husky Big Wheel" mowers made by my Dad's Co. I used it until 1999 when I gave it to my daughter. It is still in very good condition. She lives in Indy and has mine and another she bought at a yard sale a few years ago. I would include a recent picture but don't know how to.
All of the McLean products were called Husky. Over the years Universal made iron wheel garden tractors in the early '40's with Maytag engines. Then went to BS or Koehler engines. Changed in the 1950's to rubber tires with many attachments eg.sickle mowers, then later to rideable sulky gang mowers for large yards, snow blades, snow blowers, rear cutivators, breaking plows. In the 60's they made a small roto tiller which could be converted into a cultivator. Late 50's- early 60's a four wheel tractor was made.( I used mine in a tractor pull at Zionsville festival in the late 60's). In the mid 60'e the first Big Wheel mower was made. It was made til my Dad retired in 1988. (84 years old)
  • KennyP and redcarkids have said thanks

#28 dougmc OFFLINE  

dougmc
  • Member No: 13147
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 08:54 AM

I want to make a Correction to the above.
C F McLean sold Universal In the late 1970's around '78.

Doug McLean

#29 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 11:22 AM

Doug, Welcome to the forum. Always nice to hear from a family member of one of the manufacturers. I was under the impression that McLean's first steel wheeled garden tractor came out in 34. The wheels were a smaller diameter the first year and they had a problem with rocks getting caught in the chains. Does any of the early records still exist.

#30 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 12:16 PM

Doug
Welcome!!. Its not everyday that a family member of the lawnmower made replies to post like these. We would love to see any photos, articles, flyers or sales adds posted here for the history of the company. I think it would be a great way to pass down your legacey from your dad to show the world what he achomplished in his life.