5 replies to this topic

#1 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 10:03 PM

So my starter died on the h14, i took it off and did the booster cables to a good battery, nothing. Anyway has anyone got any advice on repair and or replacement? I'm in canadaso the ebay ones might get costly on duty, not sure.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 05:13 AM

If you don't know anything about starters,there must be someone in your area that rebuilds electric motors and starters that you can take it to.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 05:41 AM

Sometimes you can get them working again by cleaning up the commutator and installing new brushes. If you don't know what I'm talking about you should follow Maynards advice and find an automotive electric shop that will assess it for you and give you an estimate on repairs. Good luck getting it sorted out.

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 08:11 AM

Sometimes you can get them working again by cleaning up the commutator and installing new brushes. If you don't know what I'm talking about you should follow Maynards advice and find an automotive electric shop that will assess it for you and give you an estimate on repairs. Good luck getting it sorted out.

If you don't know anything about starters,there must be someone in your area that rebuilds electric motors and starters that you can take it to.

:ditto:

#5 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 09:09 AM

I was talking with my Bell telephone tech, another one of my "found" GT guys, he said 9 times out 0f 10, its the brushes, the carbon has worn down to far and the springs can't make contact with the armature.

Then my father in-law, the retired farmer with 40+ years on the farm says, " I know a guy, we'll take it to him"

I think everyones right, I think i'm going to get it repair instead of ordering a replacement.

#6 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 07:08 PM

best place to find a starter or parts is on ebay i have ordered stuff for my bolens from FL and in in kingston ont and shipping is usual $5- $20