• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#16 ddechri OFFLINE  

ddechri

• Member No: 1303
  • 2 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted November 09, 2010 - 10:06 AM

OK, I have to butt in here. Believe it or not, the Ariens was designed and built by New Holland. Then, after a few years production, it was sold to Ariens. Who then cheapened it up. I found this out a few weeks ago when I asked one of the engineers at work (New Holland) that field tested the S-series. Apparently, there was a running gag for a while that it was one of the dumbest things New Holland could have done. Many of the attachments were rebranded from other makes like Brinley, David Bradley, Haban, etc. There was a rough S14 with snow blower and tiller on CL a few weeks ago for $300 in PA.

- Dave

Wow, this is an old post. Serves me right for searching without checking dates. Well, maybe the info is useful to someone.
  • wvbuzzmaster and Markski have said thanks

#17 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 07:14 AM

I had a good friend who ran a big New Holland dealership in Penn. and he said New Holland designed the S series also,he gave me the demonstrator S14 that New Holland sent him when the Series first came out.As far as cheapening them up I don't agree my New Hollands are carbon copies of the Ariens S models.Ariens made a few improvements over the years but the late GT models were still mechanically just like the New Holland built machines.New Holland did start out putting tilt steering on tractors they built but discontinued that themselves.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#18 dwdw OFFLINE  

dwdw

• Member No: 1539
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 09:53 PM

Wow! I thought I was the only person with a New Holland 12 Hp and a Ariens S16H and an Ariens GT20. They are almost carbon copies! added power steering and a front bucket to the New Holland took it off the GT20. Have a De-thatcher, sickle bar, weight box and weight plates for the bucket about 750 lbs plus my butt another 250+ lbs lol!
I have a Sears ST16 and a 169 Cub Cadet.
I guess its time to sell off the Sears and the Cub.
The difference is the New Holland Hydro-drive ( T66Z variable speed hydrostatic transmission) all the others have a Sunstrand 15?this one I can't find repair manual on it. Sure would be nice to locate.
It had external hydraulics, used it for adding the power steering.
This Site/forum is Great!!!
Thank You
dwdw

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 10:25 PM

Welcome, dwdw!
We would love to hear more about your Tractors!

#20 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted November 11, 2010 - 08:04 AM

In all I have 3 of the New Holland S-14 models,35 Ariens S/GT models and 2 Grand Sierra models they really did cheapen up the Grand Sierras with all the plastic instead of cast iron and did away with the Park on the shifter.Also have some Arines built tillage equipment which seems hard to find.

#21 jjkrjh OFFLINE  

jjkrjh

• Member No: 1171
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted November 11, 2010 - 05:26 PM

Wow! I thought I was the only person with a New Holland 12 Hp and a Ariens S16H and an Ariens GT20. They are almost carbon copies! added power steering and a front bucket to the New Holland took it off the GT20. Have a De-thatcher, sickle bar, weight box and weight plates for the bucket about 750 lbs plus my butt another 250+ lbs lol!
I have a Sears ST16 and a 169 Cub Cadet.
I guess its time to sell off the Sears and the Cub.
The difference is the New Holland Hydro-drive ( T66Z variable speed hydrostatic transmission) all the others have a Sunstrand 15?this one I can't find repair manual on it. Sure would be nice to locate.
It had external hydraulics, used it for adding the power steering.
This Site/forum is Great!!!
Thank You
dwdw

If your hunting for the manual for the Vickers transmission ---the Ariens model 931003 Serial number 101 or higher, has the Vickers T66 style hydrostat transmission and not the Sunstrand. You can download the service manual here

http://apache.ariens...s/PRM 31000.pdf
  • Wm McNett said thank you

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 06:59 AM

Thread locked due to its being an older thread and the new posts were members searching for implements and /or parts. Many times a post like that will not get noticed and an question will get left unanswered.

If you are seeking information on these units, please begin a new thread. If you are seeking to buy or sell parts, units or implements; please use the classifieds (you must have 10 posts to do so) and good luck in your hunt or in your sales.