• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 simonone OFFLINE  

simonone

• Member No: 532
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 27, 2010 - 10:35 AM

My JD 165 KAW . engine has a problem with it's starter sol. Clicks about 10 times then usually works. The good folks at JD want $80.00 CAD for it. any Ideas ??

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 28, 2010 - 08:38 AM

I don't know how you would make on finding one on ebay and how much they are going for. $80.00 really doesn't seem too bad for a brand new one although it is a little on the pricey side. I would try your luck on ebay from a reputable seller.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 28, 2010 - 09:22 AM

I peel back the case, pull apart and clean/repair the contacts myself. Whenever they click, the solenoid itself is good, and just the contacts need dressing up. Need to fix mine soon on my Massey 1010. Takes a few clicks to crank over also.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 28, 2010 - 09:51 AM

I peel back the case, pull apart and clean/repair the contacts myself. Whenever they click, the solenoid itself is good, and just the contacts need dressing up. Need to fix mine soon on my Massey 1010. Takes a few clicks to crank over also.

:ditto:Not that hard to do.

#5 SandburRanch OFFLINE  

SandburRanch

• Member No: 835
  • 0 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 16, 2010 - 05:53 PM

My JD 165 KAW . engine has a problem with it's starter sol. Clicks about 10 times then usually works. The good folks at JD want $80.00 CAD for it. any Ideas ??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just experienced the same symptoms with my tractor and found the battery to be @ 11.6 volts. With the little pizzy 180 amp. batteries John Deere supplies that doesn't leave much for cranking purposes. On further investigation I found it was losing approximately 0.5 V / day while disconnected. A new 230 amp. battery made a world of difference.

#6 don wyatt OFFLINE  

don wyatt

• Member No: 580
  • 0 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted July 16, 2010 - 06:06 PM

Home depot and Lowe's carry them. Also a good auto supply store or your local small engine shop or an equipment rental/supply will have it. Ace Hardware etc. If all else fails I'll send you one of my used ones. Don