• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• Member No: 5542
  • 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 10:22 AM

anyone know the diameter of the 1978 JD316 crankshaft with the kohler K341 engine. Thanks, Frank

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 03:29 PM

Frank, if you mean the end where the PTO clutch mounts it is 1" on the K321 in my 314 and I think the crankshaft is the same as all the specs in the engine manual for internal sizes and wear are the same. The 341 uses a larger piston to get the extra 2HP. The Kohler engine manual is in the manuals section of the forum if you haven't already downloaded one.

#3 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• Member No: 5542
  • 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 08:21 PM

Thanks Brian, I did some homework and downloaded the manual from kohler, I wonder why all (most) John Deere cranks were 1" while most everyone else used 1-1/4". I was looking at buying a couple JD tractors, a 312 and a 316. I turned the two down for 350.00, These were the first 300 series tractors I have had a chance to inspect, and I was totally unimpressed, But given the 200 series, which weren't even as good as a Sears, let alone a Wheel Horse, I wasn't surprised. It kind of surprises me that anyone collects these machines. I don't collect cubs, but even they were much better than what I saw on these two 300s. What really makes me mad is that I really wanted a 300 or 316. I saw many in pics and thought they looked big and beefy, not really big or beefy. The hydraulic ports aren't that great of an idea, there really aren't many hydraulic implements out there for them. I mean the blade needs 2 cylinders to lift and angle, very few had any rear lift, and while some did have rear hydraulic ports, they were useless without a rear lift or sleeve hitch, which seem to be very rare on Deeres compared to Cubs, or Sears. Just my opinion, not to be a put down, again I really wanted a 316, I hope I see alot more in a JD140 H3, if I don't I'll move on, and look for something else.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 06:20 AM

Thanks Brian, I did some homework and downloaded the manual from kohler, I wonder why all (most) John Deere cranks were 1" while most everyone else used 1-1/4". I was looking at buying a couple JD tractors, a 312 and a 316. I turned the two down for 350.00, These were the first 300 series tractors I have had a chance to inspect, and I was totally unimpressed, But given the 200 series, which weren't even as good as a Sears, let alone a Wheel Horse, I wasn't surprised. It kind of surprises me that anyone collects these machines. I don't collect cubs, but even they were much better than what I saw on these two 300s. What really makes me mad is that I really wanted a 300 or 316. I saw many in pics and thought they looked big and beefy, not really big or beefy. The hydraulic ports aren't that great of an idea, there really aren't many hydraulic implements out there for them. I mean the blade needs 2 cylinders to lift and angle, very few had any rear lift, and while some did have rear hydraulic ports, they were useless without a rear lift or sleeve hitch, which seem to be very rare on Deeres compared to Cubs, or Sears. Just my opinion, not to be a put down, again I really wanted a 316, I hope I see alot more in a JD140 H3, if I don't I'll move on, and look for something else.

I have a 314. I really wanted a 140 h3 as well but they are just not available up here. I can understand that your first impressions seemed dissapointing, but when I look at the strength of these tractors and their durability I feel they are still a good choice in a working GT. A LOT depends on how they were maintained. The front spindles are 1", the sundstrand 15 hydro and Dana rear axle are among the strongest setups out there. The Kohler K series singles run a long time if maintained and are rebuildable if they are worn out. The 300 series has pretty much the same frame as the 140. It's a pretty strong setup. Many new parts are still available from JD and because there were a lot of them sold used parts are fairly plentiful as well. There are plans on line for building a sleeve hitch, which my 314 has on it, and I think the 140 3pt. hitch will fit the 300's. I believe there is a DIY set of plans for the 3pt. as well. If you are experienced with hydraulics it's pretty easy to add the remote outlets on the rear. The valves for the 140 and the 300/316 can be retrofitted onto a 312/314 to get 2 or 3 hydraulic circuits. One issue is that in some markets the prices are seriously high. Last week locally there was a 317 for sale with the motor broken for 400$. It sold within 48hrs. Some weak spots are the motor mounts and the driveshaft couplers. Check those items if you are looking at more of these tractors. In the Kohlers JD used the balancer in the first 300 modeles but the later 300 and all successive models do not have the balancer. This is a good thing because it often fails in older engines. Good luck looking for a 140.