22 replies to this topic

#1 divergreg OFFLINE  

divergreg

• Member No: 8177
  • 1 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 07:30 AM

Hello,

I recently bought a JD 210 garden tractor. I got a good deal on it, I only paid 225 for it. It runs great however I busted a pulley and the belt from the PTO to the mower deck. I need to know a couple things.

Does the belt from the mower deck which is run around a pully that is lying flat on the deck, twist onto the pully for the PTO. It looks like that is the way it would go, I just want to make sure. This looks like it would put some strain on the belt?

Also I busted a pulley clean off, it is not the PTO pulley on the main drive, but there are two pulleys located directly below the PTO pulleys. Do these play a role in the mower deck drive belt? They are free spinning pulleys.

Does JD still sell parts for this mower. I went down there, but they were closed, so I couldn't find the info for it.

I should have examined everything on the mower before driving it, but I just wanted to put it to work, so I would probally know where the belt went if I would have paid more attention, oh well I guess now. Any help would be much appriciated.

Thanks

Greg

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 07:42 AM

Welcome to GTTalk Greg. I have never had a 210 so I don't have first hand knowledge of the mower deck drive. There are a few 200 series owners on here who I am sure will respond to your question. You should check out the JD parts site JDParts.com. You can do a model search for your tractor and access the parts diagrams. If you need an operators manual send me a private message with your email address as I may have one.

#3 divergreg OFFLINE  

divergreg

• 1 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 07:56 AM

Thanks Brian,

I am registering for that site and will give it a shot.

Greg

#4 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 01:58 PM

Welcome Greg
that is a good buy for a 210. What pulley did you break? replacing a pulley and/or belts you should go to your John Deere dealer.
to help you find parts for your 210 go to https://jdparts.deer...ts.HomeUnsigned and register there. You can search for your 210 to find the parts and illustrations for your 210. it is a great help on how it goes together, since manuals are getting harder to find, we use to have the John Deere's owners manuals. service manual and the part manual here on this site but Deere said to remove them. Some members here do have them and might be able to send them to you.
have fun with your 210 and if you have any problems and questions - there are a lot of good people here that will help you

and we like pictures - it help others see your problem and /or question you have

good luck and have fun

#5 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 11:12 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. I recently bought some JD Garden Tractor manuals at an on line auction. One was the 46-Inch Mid-Mount Rotary Mower (200 Series Tractors). I scanned in the pages that deal with mounting the mower on the tractor. It has a diagram for those pulleys. Hopefully I can attatch the .pdf document. Not sure I'm doing this right.

Attached File  46-inch mower mount2.pdf   870.85KB   551 downloads

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 05:07 AM

Greg,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#7 divergreg OFFLINE  

divergreg

• 1 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the document, that is what I needed exactly to get a picture of how the belt goes on. That is awesome! I am going to the dealer today to buy the pulley, new belts and some other items. It was the larger of the two pulleys prior to the pto pulley that I broke. I will post some pictures of it hopefully today, but I got this thing for a steal and I almost felt like I will stealing some guys pride and joy. I have researched the jd parts site and the serial numbers for the 210 start at 0700. My serial number is 058728 which I beleive was built in 76. Well thanks for the information and I will keep you guys posted.
Greg

#8 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 11:38 AM

have fun with and enjoy it - it is a good little machine
and we like pictures

#9 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 02:33 PM

:smile1:

Thanks for the document, that is what I needed exactly to get a picture of how the belt goes on. That is awesome! I am going to the dealer today to buy the pulley, new belts and some other items. It was the larger of the two pulleys prior to the pto pulley that I broke. I will post some pictures of it hopefully today, but I got this thing for a steal and I almost felt like I will stealing some guys pride and joy. I have researched the jd parts site and the serial numbers for the 210 start at 0700. My serial number is 058728 which I beleive was built in 76. Well thanks for the information and I will keep you guys posted.
Greg

If you want the entire Operator's Manual, let me know and send me your email address. It might take me awhile to get it scanned in (I procrastinate a lot, even more since I retired) and sent to you.

#10 divergreg OFFLINE  

divergreg

• 1 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 02:56 PM

new 029.jpg

Okay, well I got the parts I needed to replace the broken pulley, I also got a new belt for the mower deck. Does this look like the proper belt alignment. I put it on the way I took it off but it didn't seem to fit properly. The new belt is the same size as the old one, it is just really loose. The belt tensioner I am assumuning there to the right of the drive pulley doesn't seem to put any tension on it. It has a spring that attaches to it from left to right there on the back. Do you have any idea why this would be or will the belt tighten up when it is engaged? Thanks

Greg

#11 divergreg OFFLINE  

divergreg

• 1 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 03:17 PM

new 018.jpg

Here is a picture of the JD 210. I got it for $225.
  • lyall said thank you

#12 divergreg OFFLINE  

divergreg

• 1 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 03:20 PM

Oh yeah, it is a 46" deck.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 04:13 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28115[/ATTACH]

Here is a picture of the JD 210. I got it for $225.

Greg that looks like a real solid 210.

#14 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 06:01 PM

Greg
here is how you replace the belt
[ATTACH]28117[/ATTACH]

how are the bearing and the pulleys? do they need to do replaced?

I am replacing the spindle bearing on a deck. it is fun removing the pulley with out bending them.
going to have to wd40 or something to help fun the pulleys

Attached Thumbnails

• 46 deck belt.jpg

#15 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 08:14 PM

Attached File  MowerBelt.pdf   110.37KB   369 downloads

Here is the picture from the Mower Operator's Manual. Slightly different viewpoint than the one from lyall above.