• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 old tractor guy OFFLINE  

old tractor guy

• Member No: 7902
  • 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hi, just got a free Wards. Squire 12, want to fix up for my son to plow snow with. Got engine running fine but the belt and clutch for the 4-speed was apart, I have put back together every way that makes sence to me but still not right. does anyone have a tractor like this that knows correct belt size and a photo of how it goes together. I have no use for the almost mint mower deck as I have no mule drive. If someone is interested make an offer. thanks Russ

Attached Thumbnails

• lakota 004.jpg
  • lakota 006.jpg
  • lakota 005.jpg

#2 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 01:05 PM

I pull with a Montgomery Ward that is just a little bit newer than yours. From the motor to the gear box there is just the drive shaft. The clutch on mine is just a control rod that connects back to the pulley after the 90 deg. box. All the clutching that happens is that it justs loosens the belt tension up. With me using it for pulling, I had to install a heavier spring that applies the tension on the belt that connects the 90 deg. box to the transmission.
100_0042.jpg
  • old tractor guy said thank you

#3 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 02:28 PM

I pull with a Montgomery Ward that is just a little bit newer than yours. From the motor to the gear box there is just the drive shaft. The clutch on mine is just a control rod that connects back to the pulley after the 90 deg. box. All the clutching that happens is that it justs loosens the belt tension up. With me using it for pulling, I had to install a heavier spring that applies the tension on the belt that connects the 90 deg. box to the transmission.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28077[/ATTACH]

how do you keep it cool with the tin missing from the engine ?

#4 old tractor guy OFFLINE  

old tractor guy

• 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 04:38 PM

thanks, I don't have the spring and may be missing other parts. I have the same driveshaft to 90 deg. box. then all my parts were in a box. do you know of a website I could find a picture of how it goes together. Thanks Russ

#5 old tractor guy OFFLINE  

old tractor guy

• 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the manuals , but mine is for sure a Gilson built for wards. and the clutch and belt system are all different. thanks Russ

#6 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Your tractor is no where near a Simplicity. Sorry I don't have and site or info yet about the clutch area. I'll try to find something out for you. I pulled the main frame out of a scrap iron place that was going to cut it up. It was yellow and white before I painted it. The engine was gone expect for the oil pan. That was because it was the pivot for the front axle. I changed that, I added a flat plate and axle mountings so I could install the two cylinder Briggs and Stratton into the frame. With torque of the engine I had to put a center pilot bearing in the middle of the drive shaft. The drive shaft is so long that it started to bend.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 07:14 PM

Is there any manuals that might help in the manuals section here? The one labeled CTSM covers some high points on several different models, the smallest is a 14 Hp tho. One pic shows the idler as being in a different orientation... But that may be just because it's a different model.

#8 old tractor guy OFFLINE  

old tractor guy

• 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 03:15 PM

hi, checked most all manuals in section none are like mine, hydro. complete different animal. thanks Russ

#9 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 07:21 PM

If you look at the section that has the s16 model with and without the variable shifter. That should be close to what yours. Look like.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 07:36 PM

hi, checked most all manuals in section none are like mine, hydro. complete different animal. thanks Russ

If you look at the section that has the s16 model with and without the variable shifter. That should be close to what yours. Look like.

Here are the two pages I was looking at when I mentioned the CTSM manual.
page5.jpg

This picture in specific. Is this like yours?
page5a.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Page4.jpg