• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,711 Thanks
  • 28,354 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 03:28 PM

The neighbor kid stopped over this morning. He said his dad bought a walk behind snowblower and they couldn't get it to work right. So I told him I'd meet him at my shed in 5 minutes. Put on my Carharts & went out.

This "snowblower" was a old, odd duck. Big IH symbol on it, 2 cycle, drum was a 4" diameter piece of aluminum tubing with (2) 2" wide pieces of corded rubber matting running the length. Instead of a chute, it has louvers (about the size of the ones on my window AC unit) that you can change from left to right. Looks like a late 60's/early 70's unit.

I asked what was wrong with it & he said it doesn't throw the snow very far. I smiled and said " It's not supposed to"

We tinkered with the jets a little, seems they "guessed on the mixture". Should be 32:1. Looks like 10:1 in the tank & it smells like burning used engine oil. (he denied this of course).

Explained mixture to him and why it's important to make it right. Showed him how much oil to use in a gallon and by the look on his face, he mixed it a little heavy.

This thing does a decent enough job for what it is, it throws the snow about the width of the unit. Go down the middle of the driveway, then start working it back from there. Once I had it running as well as it would, we went over to the parking lot next door. About 4" of powder was no problem, even deeper in places. Huh.

Seems his dad bought it at an auction for $45 and then couldn't make it work right, assuming it should throw snow 10 feet I guess. After he left here, he went home and did his driveway, then the sidewalk, now he's going door to door doing sidewalks for "a donation or free if they don't want to pay". Seems there may be another exhaust junkie in town. :D

Edited by MH81, January 14, 2012 - 03:33 PM.

• powerking56 and daytime dave have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 03:50 PM

Poor kid, you have ruined another one lol. Next he will be joining your club, the forum, and shopping at the same sales lol.

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 03:56 PM

It's nice to see neighbors help neighbors. You taught him without embarrassing him. Good for you. Hope he goes to more auctions and really gets into it.

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,342 Thanks
  • 1,456 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 04:09 PM

Didn't Toro make ones like that with the paddle drum? I can't say that I ever seen an IH one before, but have seen that style.

#5 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 10:16 AM

:thumbs: to you for helping out the neighbor. But as said above beware, you may have future competition now. I had a unit similar to that years ago, Dad gave it to me when he moved in town, seems like it was a ?Homelite?. It worked better than a shovel on the decks, and also useful in the non tractorable areas. Could use another one like that now that I think about it.

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 06:33 PM

the world needs more neighbors like you.

#7 Bill56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 06:40 PM

Nice of you to help the neighbor!