Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips, how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Sickle / Cutter Bar Mower

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 145 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 12:27 PM

Can anyone I.D. this Sickle / Cutter Bar Mower for me ? I know nothing about it at all, someone i know just sent me these two pics. Says there is No ID Plate on it anywhere, I find that hard to believe. he wants to sell it for $100 Sounds fair to me? thoughts?

Any info or ways of ID ing this unit would also be appreciated, thanks guys.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-01-14 11.34.00.jpg
  • 2012-01-14 11.34.19.jpg

#2 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6294
  • 23 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 12:35 PM

Would say it is a midland built. I have the same sickle bar unit on my Wards/Simplicity see my avatar. What is the name on the tires are they Riverside. BTW there is a manual for the sickle bar in the manuals section I think. I know I have a copy.
  • DanO said thank you

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 2,016 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 01:12 PM

yes its a midland built unit for a bigger Wards tractor. The Simplicity one used a rod instead of a sq tube for the main frame. Most of this stuff dont have tags, and only some times is there a tag left to the tractor unit. i think $100 is pretty much top end and then some. $50 would be alot more in line.

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 15,201 Thanks
  • 21,817 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 04:08 PM

When you say Bigger Wards Tractor, do you mean like the Plow Trac or like that? I see it's been welded onto the frame of the tractor. Shouldnt there have been a quick - attach on that?

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 2,016 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 04:33 PM

well the picture isnt the best but it does look a little funny at the mount. It should use the same universal motor all midland simplicity, waterbury, wards used. When i refer to "bigger' im saying tractors with larger engines like a 5hp and up. Old plow trac's had smaller engines than the newer ones even though they used the same name. Db did the same thing in bigger saying attachments were designed for a higher hp motor. Those things would have been rototiller, snowblower, and some of the mowing units. I beleive the tractor in the picture is a model "D", which is a small hp early tractor. In the picture see a mower unit built by simplicity for the older lower powered tractors. Note the mount and the frame work. I sent this unit out east and its currently being restored.
074.jpg
  • DanO said thank you

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,004 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 04:34 PM

I would try it out first and see if it cuts. The sickle bar on my DB looks good but the section and guards are worn out. 2"sections are expensive and hard to find, it would take over $300 to replace them on mine.
  • DanO said thank you

#7 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 145 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 04:53 PM

Thanks For The Info Guys, appreciate the input. I may try to go look at this in person tomorrow to see if it runs well & what shape the Cutter is in. If I can grab it for $50 I may do so but not much more. I certainly don't "Need" it, I have 3 DB Sickle Mowers that work well and I hardly ever use them but when did "Need" ever come into play when buying another piece of old iron?
The guy mentioned he was selling it cause he was "Cleaning out the Old Barns" That's a Phrase that ALLWAYS Peaks My attention! I'll keep you posted . Thanks again.

Edited by DanO, January 14, 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#8 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6294
  • 23 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 06:22 PM

I think I have mentioned this before but I got a replacement bar with serrated sections from Jari for under 100. bucks was even the right length. Might check them out if you need a bar or sections. Just my 2 c worth.
  • Reverend Blair and DanO have said thanks

#9 Reverend Blair ONLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 493 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 08:35 PM

My BIL and I made our own sections for mine by grinding down and re-drilling bigger sections to fit. We may have had a few beers that day. We will do things for beer that we would never do for money.

BTW, the mower in the picture is definitely a Simplicity/Montgomery Wards (sometimes branded as Allis Chalmers here in Canada). It's identical to mine. The tractor looks a little different, but I've never seen mine with the original engine, so it's hard to tell.

#10 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 2,851 Thanks
  • 2,617 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 10:33 AM

I'd say you guys have this one nailed down. One thing I didn't see mentioned is that the tractor tag should be on the gearcase towards the tire. Almost looks like I can see it in the second picture. Be careful cleaing it off. The paint washes off real easy.

#11 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 53 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 02:05 PM

Your Picts are very Interesting... I have a Plow Trac. I have been trying to figure out the linkage to hook up the sickle bar mower. What I see in your photos is that your hand controls are on the opposite sides of mine. That is to say on my unit the accessory lever is on the RIGHT handlebar, not the left. Were they made to be switched around? Sure would be easier to hook the unit up if I didn't have to make a linkage that had to cross the motor.
Let me hear what you folks know.
Steve

#12 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 248 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 05:51 PM

BTW, the mower in the picture is definitely a Simplicity/Montgomery Wards (sometimes branded as Allis Chalmers here in Canada). It's identical to mine. The tractor looks a little different, but I've never seen mine with the original engine, so it's hard to tell.

Is your tractor labelled as Allis Chalmers? Never heard of them. In Ontario we got Simplicity models distributed by the Eatons department stores and Winnipeg had an Eatons. Who was your distributor? We also had Waterloo walking tractors that were sold by Sears or Simpsons or whatever they were named in Canada at the time.

Garry

#13 Reverend Blair ONLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 493 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 07:08 AM

There is no labelling on mine. I guess it went away with the paint. It came with 1970's vintage B&S that burned more oil than gas. I found when I was looking for a roto-tiller and have used it for that a lot. Mostly it sees action as a brush/deep grass mower though, especially when I was doing a lot of fences in semi-rural areas.

The guy I got it from bought it at an Allis Chalmers dealership when it was new, apparently. He used to run a market garden before vegetables were shipped all over the place from California, and he was there buying something else and bought it. He also had a newer (and painted/looked after) Simplicity that he used around his yard. That's really all I know about it.

I have a feeling that Allis Chalmers sold these the way International Harvester sold their refrigerators...put a sticker on it and use it to sweeten the deal on bigger equipment...and didn't sell them for very long.

#14 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 2,016 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 12:21 PM

We also had Waterloo walking tractors that were sold by Sears or Simpsons or whatever they were named in Canada at the time.

Garry[/QUOTE]

Im interesting in seeing some info on the Waterloo that Sears sold. Do you have any catalog pictures or flyer on that.

#15 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 248 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 10:24 PM

I have a page I got from the Canadian Government archives that was in some odd format. You can't read the full page but by enlarging it at the site the photos although badly croped came up quite clear. Guess I can't add photos to this site.

Garry