#31 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 5,797 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 11:28 PM

Today was a 2 for 1 day :( For each 2 steps I went ahead, I ended up falling back one. Oh well I guess we have to take the good with the bad.
I did get the drive line fabricated and the hydraulic lines to the Hydro run in. And that was about it. In one of the photos the drive line looks about 8 feet long when in reality it is half that. The cotter key in the drive shaft coupler is temporary and will be replaced with a coiled roll pin. The other side of the coupler is a press fit and will be tack welded. The lord mounts for the carrier bearing are engine mounts out of a Kubota G3200. Pretty stiff yet still a little pliable.
Tomorrow I plan to get the engine running (I hope) so I can move it around and see how the drive line runs in.
Dump tractor 002.jpg

I'm really missing my pressure washer but it's winterized so I'm out of luck till spring. When I get the tractor running I'll load it up and take it to the car wash. :smile1:

Attached Thumbnails

• Dump tractor 001.jpg
  • Dump tractor 003.jpg
  • Dump tractor 004.jpg

#32 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,710 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 12:17 AM

Great progress Chirs. It looks to be shaping up quite well.

#33 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,388 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 01:36 AM

Lookin good. This is going to be a neat build.
What is the distance from the carrier brg to the engine?

#34 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,706 Thanks
  • 43,747 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 02:14 AM

Looks good. Definitely could use a bath. Good luck with the drive line.

#35 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 5,797 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 10:13 AM

The bearing is located about the middle of the shaft or 24 inches either way.

The bath is coming in the near future. I want to get it running today so I can load it.

#36 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 5,797 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 09:38 PM

No pictures today.
I did get the engine running after quite a bit of work and it sounds good. The head gasket was blown in several places and all the head bolts were loose. The cylinder looked good and there was very little carbon or soot build up. Had a head and used gasket so those were installed. The carb was bad so replaced with one I had. Surprisingly the spark was good and the tank was clean. There was no oil in the crankcase so I filled it with used oil to flush it out. Took the starter generator off of another Cub that had been setting for years and it worked just fine.
The manual PTO clutches on the old Cubs tend to be a problem area as they come loose on the crankshaft and will damage the shaft. This one has this and after removing the clutch assembly it was evident that it had been loose for quite a while. The shaft diameter is 1" so I made a sleeve that will increase it to 1 1/4". I don't have any need for the PTO so I will pick up a pulley tomorrow for the starter generator to run on. After that I hope to get the frame built to mount the seat on and run the linkages for the brakes and hydro control.

#37 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,710 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Sounds like decent progress.

#38 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 165 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 09:58 PM

This is going to be a neat project to whatch Chris! Thanks for posting your progress so far and I am looking forward to your updates. Keep up the good work! :thumbs:

#39 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,954 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 10:15 PM

Sounds neat Chris, glad to hear you got the engine going.

#40 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,706 Thanks
  • 43,747 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 06:15 AM

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it running. I haven't had any problem with my PTO coming loose, just wears the buttons pretty fast.

#41 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,972 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 01:33 PM

Looks like you are making good progress. I've been enjoying watching the progress as it all comes together, thanks for posting and keeping us up to-date.

#42 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 5,797 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 10:53 PM

Today I only had limited time to work on the dumpster. Made the 1" to 1 1/4" sleeve for the crankshaft. First time I've used this milling machine and it did a nice job on the key slot. Purchased an 8" weld-a-hub pulley and installed it with the sleeve and a 1/4" by 3/8" key. Everything was a tap on fit so I'm sure I'm good to go for many years. This was an A,B sheeved pulley so it was wider. Was just barely able to get the belt lined up. Had to make a thin slotted pan head screw to attach the top link for the generator to the block. The head of a normal bolt rubbed on the pulley.
Tomorrow I plan to fabricate a frame to mount the seat to and get the linkages made for the brakes and hydro.
Should have new photos then.

#43 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,710 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 10:59 PM

Sounds like more great progress, cant wait to see the pics.

#44 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 5,797 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 11:58 PM

Holy cow! It's suppose to be -15 in the morning. That shop is going to be cold in the morning. Yikes!

#45 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 5,797 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 09:49 PM

Today I was able to get a couple of things done. I fabricated the seat frame and mounted it. Left a little more room for my 6' 2" body to get on and off. I can also see a set of running boards in the future. After getting off and on a few times I'm starting to have second thoughts about the cab. Time will tell.
I jumped ahead of myself and went straight to the bed instead of working on the hydro and brake linkage. After seeing a seat in place I just had to see what the bed was going to look like. It is going to measure 3' x 4'. Luckily the Son in-law stopped at my place on the way to town with a load of scrap iron. When I saw the 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" tubing I told him to dump it here. It was pretty rusty but cleaned up fast with a 7" flap wheel. Tomorrow I will install the side rails on the bed. Then I need to cut some 3/4" x 2" wood strips to put on the frame rail for the bed to ride on. This will eliminate metal to metal wear. Get the pivot assemblies made for the frame and bed. Then I can get the cylinders ordered.

dump tractor 001.jpg

This photo shows how I got around the mechanical PTO clutch and repaired the crankshaft.
dump tractor 002.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• dump tractor 003.jpg