wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 07:48 PM

Kenny, I am always logged in, so I just have to be able to beat you sometimes LOL.

#152 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 07:51 PM

I am still in bed at 3:00 am.

#153 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 08:09 PM

Nice Work Cris! Keep it up.
  • Cvans said thank you

#154 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 09:55 PM

Today was electrifying :confuse:
I spent the day working on the electrical system. Man am I glad that is behind me. I think I replaced or rebuilt every major component except the battery and that's coming up.
Replaced the regulator and starter solenoid out of a 125. The amp meter came from a 1450. I rebuilt the starter generator today also. Getting those old bushings out of the generator end plate is a real pain in the rear. Had to extend and fabricate battery cables because the battery is under the bed. Replaced some wires that were questionable. Finished the battery platform. Now it starts runs and charges like a champ. Hope it stays that way for a while.

Over all length is 9' 3".
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#155 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 10:22 PM

That's pretty big, how does it steer? Glad your electrical... everything... is fixed.

#156 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 12:36 AM

I've only driven once and so I can't say a lot about it. I do know that it rode very smooth for a garden tractor. I'm sure the long wheel base has something to do with that.
The seat is no longer over the rear wheels. I'm thinking that reverse is going to get used a lot more than before as the turning radius is going to be larger. Doesn't really matter as I have 8 acres to turn around in. I hope to spend more time in the seat tomorrow. I have a noisy crankshaft bearing on the PTO end so eventually I will pull the engine to replace the bearing and re-ring it.

#157 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 05:34 AM

Sounds good, Chris. It will be a challenge getting used to the long wheelbase and turning. Hope we get some more pics.
When you attached the two frame pieces together, did you beef up the area around the welds?

#158 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 06:58 AM

Today was electrifying :confuse:
I spent the day working on the electrical system. Man am I glad that is behind me. I think I replaced or rebuilt every major component except the battery and that's coming up.
Replaced the regulator and starter solenoid out of a 125. The amp meter came from a 1450. I rebuilt the starter generator today also. Getting those old bushings out of the generator end plate is a real pain in the rear. Had to extend and fabricate battery cables because the battery is under the bed. Replaced some wires that were questionable. Finished the battery platform. Now it starts runs and charges like a champ. Hope it stays that way for a while.

Over all length is 9' 3"

Pretty sure you got me beat on overall length!
You will find the sharp curves to be a challenge, but like I had said before the old three-point-turns are used a lot by me.

#159 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 10:20 AM

three-point-turns are used a lot

I think this is going to be part of the game here also. Like you, I'll get used to it and not think about after a while.

did you beef up the area around the welds

I clamped four angle irons to the frame rails and then measured and measured some more to make sure everything was square and straight. Tacked everything together on the inside of the frame. Attached the two 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/4" angle irons on the bottom. Welded the frame sides vertical up . Then welded the top. Next I ran the seat mount across this joint and welded it in place so it spanned that joint. I did not put a diamond shaped plate on the inside to the frame. I thought about it but decided to try it the way it is. I think it will work OK the way it is. As far as photos go, I've posted what I have. I'm not a very good writer, photographer. I get wrapped up in what I'm doing and the camera gets forgotten. Sorry.
Just as a side note, I cut the frame rails with a hand held Cut-Quick that I built from a Dewalt 9" side grinder. I will take a photo of that and post it tonight.

#160 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 02:17 PM

Sounds good, Chris. Just don't want to see it fold in the middle with some weight on it. That's a mighty long frame.

#161 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 07:30 PM

That's a mighty long frame

I understand where your coming from and hopefully this will work out OK.
I did get to drive it around today and it seems to drive OK. I have to figure out how to increase the friction on the hydro linkage as the handle is very loose and it makes it hard to start moving forward without getting jumpy.
Made the grille and installed it. Worked on the head light but they are both burned out so will get replacements along with a new seat. I did find a set of slotted seat springs so the seat will be adjustable to make room for the head board. Still need to extend the tunnel cover and get the sideboards made. Have to get this thing done as more work arrived today.
Am I having fun yet? :dancingbanana:

#162 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 07:57 PM

This is what I cut the frame rails with. When my back gave out I had to sell my gas powered cut quick because it was too heavy. After looking around I found this Dewalt 9" sidewinder that runs 5000 rpm. Needed to find one that would run the same speed as the gas saw and this was all that was available. Turned the head 90 degrees and and fabricated the guard and handle. Works good and is light weight. This might be something to consider if the need arises.
[ATTACH]29350[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• Dewalt cut quick 004.jpg
  • Dewalt cut quick 003.jpg
  • Dewalt cut quick 002.jpg

• MH81 and herbfarts have said thanks

#163 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 09:31 PM

Looks awesome Chris. Dad has an electric cut off saw we bought to use on the metal siding we put up on the building ourselves. It is extremely handy, and found that it can cut cement blocks as well. Our preference is the Milwaukee portable bandsaw we have, use it all the time.
  • Cvans said thank you

#164 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 09:40 PM

That saw looks like it will cut some stuff, I bet its very useful. Are you left handed? I see the way the head is turned and I think that would be kinda awkward for a right handed person, like myself.
  • Cvans said thank you

#165 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 09:56 PM

I'm right handed. If you think about it, the trigger will be in your left hand and the weight in your right hand. Everyone who has used it liked it set up this way. I have it set up to use 12" blades. The 14" blades are just a little too flexible for safe use on a light weight hand saw. My torch has been empty for a year as this does all the cutting that won't fit in the chop saw. Just use a carbon arc for large heating but that has it't draw backs.
I could see where with the right blade that cutting concrete block would work good. I just don't like the idea of that much abrasive dust going through the saw. I'm probably too fussy but I wouldn't want to ruin the saw.