Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Hood on my 12. Is this a previous owner mod?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 05:46 AM

I have it all apart at the moment so I am not sure that it was needed. I would have to put the dash and grill back on it and test fit it to see. I cleaned up the hood a little bit and along that area under the paint there are what look to be pound marks from a hammer along just that particular spot.

Mines a '70 and apart as well, but the flattened area was done with vice grips or a tire tool. I'd planned to clamp a piece of 1/2" rod on the inside and use a body dolly to bend it back to match the rest.

#17 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 08:34 AM

Mines a '70 and apart as well, but the flattened area was done with vice grips or a tire tool. I'd planned to clamp a piece of 1/2" rod on the inside and use a body dolly to bend it back to match the rest.

I did the same thing only I don't have any proper body working hammers or dollys so I just used my trusty old ball pean to beat it back into submission.

#18 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 08:36 AM

I would have to put in for it being non-stock, but would love to see some close up shots. The inside and the transition from roll to flat. It's a million times better than the "beat it with a 4lb sledge" that was done on my neighbor's tractor! What a shame, because I happen to need a hood for the hydro project, and that tractor of his was made into a parts rig. (Because everything was beat with a 4lb sledge and an arc welder!)

#19 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 01:05 PM

I would have to put in for it being non-stock, but would love to see some close up shots. The inside and the transition from roll to flat. It's a million times better than the "beat it with a 4lb sledge" that was done on my neighbor's tractor! What a shame, because I happen to need a hood for the hydro project, and that tractor of his was made into a parts rig. (Because everything was beat with a 4lb sledge and an arc welder!)

I allready went ahead and reformed the curl as best I could on it. The two photo's I posted are the only ones that I have of it like that. To be honest I never questioned it or gave it a second thought until I took off some of the paint on the hood to clean it up and repaint it. It looked that good of a job before and the transition from flat to curl was almost flawless like it was factory made. The question arised when I got the paint off of it and there was a line of marks in the metal where you could see it was beaten with a hammer. They(the marks) were only in the area where the flat spot was. These were camoflouged by the excessive amount of paint that was on the hood. I have to do some bondo work to hide the hammer spots that are still there but I think it will turn out fairly decent in the end.

#20 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 05:45 AM

Stumbled onto this pic taken when I brought mine home--Definately "home engineered" to clear the Kohler Starter/generator.

Attached Thumbnails

• PA310030.JPG

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#21 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 09:24 PM

Stumbled onto this pic taken when I brought mine home--Definately "home engineered" to clear the Kohler Starter/generator.

How's your's coming along? I got my flint grey and silver painted, the wheels and tires are back on as well as the steering column and grill. Got all my red parts primered and ready for paint too. Hopefully will be painted by the end of the weekend.

#22 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 04:19 AM

How's your's coming along? I got my flint grey and silver painted, the wheels and tires are back on as well as the steering column and grill. Got all my red parts primered and ready for paint too. Hopefully will be painted by the end of the weekend.

Mines coming along about as fast as the US Congress. Body/tin work is really slow removing all the dents etc. I have the hydro and front axle back on . No silver metallic painting yet.-Still looking for the best engine--How did your output shaft adapter work out? I may be faced with the same issue.-Lee

#23 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 09:04 AM

Doug, that's a real nice job you did on that massey!! i'll be there in about an hour to pick it up. LOL

#24 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 02:19 PM

Mines coming along about as fast as the US Congress. Body/tin work is really slow removing all the dents etc. I have the hydro and front axle back on . No silver metallic painting yet.-Still looking for the best engine--How did your output shaft adapter work out? I may be faced with the same issue.-Lee

A freind of the family who is a machinist made me just what I needed. Cost me a whole 20 bucks to. :rocker: