#106 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 09:10 AM

willing to bet I have the tackiest cart... I have given this little welder a heck of a work out building a large offroad jeep. It eats 1/4 plate for breakfast.

Posted Image
  • KennyP said thank you

#107 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 09:49 AM

My setup.

RAOFL!!!!

I've used that same welding setup many times!!!!

#108 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 09:57 AM

Heres a couple of photos of the welder and helmet. I haven't even had the helmet out of the package yet. Can you trust these auto darkening jobs?

I've used one of the cheap auto-darkening helmets from Harbor Freight for years and just love it. I wear glasses, and when I use a conventional helmet and flip it down my glasses slide off my nose...

I think Princess Auto up in Canada should have them as well...

#109 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 10:07 AM

Sweeeet! A plasma cutter. I'm still using a hacksaw!LOL Thanks for the pics Daniel.

Daniel--

Go buy yourself an abrasive cutoff saw. I bought a cheap one from Lowe's (similar to Home Depot) for $75 3 years ago and just love it. I don't use it a lot, and when I do I'm careful to let it spin free while cutting a large item so it can stay cool. It sure beats hack sawing.

Another option I used when remodeling a utility trailer was to put an abrasive blade in a hand-held circular saw. Make sure you get one that has a metal guard , etc. as the sparks from cutting will melt into the plastic if you don't.

Regards,

U.S.

#110 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 10:10 AM

I've tried my helmet out and it works great. I've got to make some time to learn and practice. I also picked up a 225 amp stick welder with 10lbs of 6013 rods for 60$ at a local yard sale. My helmet is the basic black Lincoln model. I tested it first by looking into a lit light fixture and it darkened instantly.

#111 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 10:13 AM

Daniel--

Go buy yourself an abrasive cutoff saw. I bought a cheap one from Lowe's (similar to Home Depot) for $75 3 years ago and just love it. I don't use it a lot, and when I do I'm careful to let it spin free while cutting a large item so it can stay cool. It sure beats hack sawing.

Another option I used when remodeling a utility trailer was to put an abrasive blade in a hand-held circular saw. Make sure you get one that has a metal guard , etc. as the sparks from cutting will melt into the plastic if you don't.

Regards,

U.S.

Smitty, I picked up a chop saw a few months back on sale for about 80$. I am gradually getting fitted out for metal working.

#112 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 10:15 AM

That's a great buy, you'll find all kinds of stuff to do with it.

Just don't tell all your neighbors & buddies... Otherwise you'll be trucking it all over the place.

Yeah, I know. I have a Lincoln 110V Wire Feed that I bought almost 20 years ago. I've loaned it out once or twice, and helped people fix things with it... the last time I loaned it out to a neighbor, he brought it back with no wire on the spool!!

I bought this welder to use at my mom's place... she has 10 acres and sometimes the work isn't close to the workshop. My kid brother is a welder by profession so he can do a lot of the work, but I'm keeping the welder close to me-- my brother tends to think that anything a family member owns is community property...

I haven't stick welded for at least 10 years... anyone have any suggestions as to type of rod for mild steel? We used .6011 in college, but others have recommended 7014.

#113 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 10:20 AM

willing to bet I have the tackiest cart... I have given this little welder a heck of a work out building a large offroad jeep. It eats 1/4 plate for breakfast.

Posted Image

I have the same wire feed welder... my is the 110V version. I use flux core wire... I have the valves and C02 tank but haven't needed them.

My welding cart comes close to yours in tackiness... it's an old HF hand truck with the casters at the top. It was made to convert into a rolling 4 wheel cart. It holds my Lincoln real well... I've also put a 100 amp stick welder on it and I notice that the wheels have turn out the plastic bearings... guess I'll have to weld up something better.

#114 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 10:22 AM

Smitty, I picked up a chop saw a few months back on sale for about 80$. I am gradually getting fitted out for metal working.

Glad to hear it. I bought an old plasma cutter last year for $400. It worked when the guy showed it to me, but I haven't been able to get it to work for me... another project to figure out...

#115 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 11:39 AM

I have the same wire feed welder... my is the 110V version. I use flux core wire... I have the valves and C02 tank but haven't needed them.

My welding cart comes close to yours in tackiness... it's an old HF hand truck with the casters at the top. It was made to convert into a rolling 4 wheel cart. It holds my Lincoln real well... I've also put a 100 amp stick welder on it and I notice that the wheels have turn out the plastic bearings... guess I'll have to weld up something better.

I keep a big spool of flux core for when I'm half way though something and run out of gas (or the solid core wire...) but after using flux core for a while and switching to gas... There is no way I would go back!

My dad has his little hobart on a HF 4 wheel cart just like yours. Whatever works and is cheap/free. I found my shopping cart in the ditch somewhere.

#116 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 11:45 AM

I keep a big spool of flux core for when I'm half way though something and run out of gas (or the solid core wire...) but after using flux core for a while and switching to gas... There is no way I would go back!

What do you like better about using gas?

#117 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 11:51 AM

I think I called you Daniel in my previous post... sorry... I had just read a post from Daniel (oldcowhand) and it got stuck in my mind...

#118 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 02:21 PM

What do you like better about using gas?

No smoky garage, cleaner, no need for anti-splatter. No need to wire wheel the flux residue and splatter, just a little hand brush (if that) and it's ready for primer. Less burns form said splatter landing on top of my head. Wire is cheaper but after buying gas they pretty much break even. Of course fluxcore is better if you are working in a breeze. I've read that it penetrates the thicker steel better but like I said previously mine loves ¼” and that is about as thick as I’ve needed. I have welded ¼” link brackets to the ½” axle tubes on my jeep and they have held… of course they were double passed.

Edited by twostep, June 22, 2012 - 02:22 PM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#119 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 03:37 PM

you guy's should be told that you can get co2 from local fire extinguisher supply places for less than the big gas supply places at least that is where i get mine from . for me it's about 3.50 cheaper than going into town and almost no gas as he is about 1 mi from home and i went to school with his son . The auto helmets are a good choice i have a battery and a solar with a battery new battery in that one after about 4 years have not had to change the solar ones battery yet from age so i will go with the solar rechargable helmet for my #1 choice :thumbs: , the XMT304 is a versatile machine with all the goodies :thumbs: ,i have a miller plasma cutter that can cut up to 1in steel max , 2 10E miller mig heads a hobart farmhand mig for small jobs and an oxygen/acetalene rig for cutting the big stuff :smilewink:

#120 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 03:43 PM

I've never welded with just straight CO2... how does it compare to CO2/Argon mix in your experience?