• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 11:51 AM

Anyone have any advise on the nozzle treatment. Is the spray can or the stuff in the tub a better choice.

#62 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 11:54 AM

I use the tub. Does a pretty good job. I get a bit of build up, but it cleans off easily.

#63 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 12:25 PM

I use the spray most of the time.

#64 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 12:44 PM

I use the "tip dip" in the tub. I've used both over the years and the results seems to be about the same.

#65 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 04:37 PM

Thanks again guys. I bought a tub of the Lincoln gel stuff. Heres a couple of photos of the welder and helmet. I haven't even had the helmet out of the package yet. Can you trust these auto darkening jobs?

DSCF7201.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF7204.jpg

#66 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 12:19 PM

Brian, I think you are getting serious about this! :bigrofl: I've been so busy lately that I haven't had a chance to do anything as far as welding. I did see HF had their auto darking helmet on sale so I guess I need to get down there and get one.

Just kind of an off topic question: Why do welding helmet always seem to have flames or some type of graphic on them?

#67 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 01:57 PM

Thank you everyone for posting picture of your setup.

Brian, I think you are getting serious about this! :bigrofl: I've been so busy lately that I haven't had a chance to do anything as far as welding. I did see HF had their auto darking helmet on sale so I guess I need to get down there and get one.

Just kind of an off topic question: Why do welding helmet always seem to have flames or some type of graphic on them?

Mine doesn't. All black. It was also a basic one.

Here is my setup. I am very cheep though and don't have any jigs, clamps or heavy welding table. That is the only picture I could find of my setup. It is a Lincoln 180C with straight CO2 as shielding gas. If you all want better pictures I can take some. I haven't done any welding for a couple months so it is kind of buried.

IMG_0198.jpg

Edited by Lovintractorin, January 27, 2012 - 01:59 PM.
Forgot picture

#68 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 04:12 PM

Mine is the plain black one. I guess it's like goalie masks in hockey. I got the helmet, cart and welder in a package deal for a good price so I said why not. I want to get started on welding before I get too old to learn. Some days it feels like it might already be too late. LOL

#69 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 04:37 PM

The only reason mine has flames on it is because it was a Christmas gift. Enough said.

#70 Saltydawg OFFLINE  

Saltydawg

• Member No: 7982
  • 3 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 11:32 PM

Here's mine: My Mig is a Hobart with Argon
Posted Image
My Stick is an old Lincoln my dad gave me years ago when he quit welding. I can recall him using it as far back as 1962.
Posted Image

#71 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 12:21 AM

JDBrian; the auto darkening helmets work excellent. Mine is battery not solar and has the original batteries that are 6 years old. Love the way it works. It is really nice to see the wire or electrode is in the right place before you strike the arc. Much improvement over the older flip up masks. Dave

#72 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 07:01 AM

Thanks Salty and Dave for the input. I am trying to get a feel for this stuff before going at it. There are some good videos and educational stuff online and I've been studying up a bit. I'm gathering some scrap metal to practice on before I start on a few jobs that I have lined up around here. I'm hoping this thread will be useful for others who are just starting out.

#73 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 07:13 AM

Thanks Salty and Dave for the input. I am trying to get a feel for this stuff before going at it. There are some good videos and educational stuff online and I've been studying up a bit. I'm gathering some scrap metal to practice on before I start on a few jobs that I have lined up around here. I'm hoping this thread will be useful for others who are just starting out.

And I expect it will help lots of starter-uppers. This was a darn good idea for a thread Brian, thanks, lots of good info here.

#74 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 07:15 AM

My best advise is practice practice practice ! And do so so that you can see what is happening! If its too bright darken your shield a bit, if to dark lighten it up, but most important, is watch the puddle, and the arc orb creating the puddle, this will give you the best understanding of the process .
Practice on appropriate sized materials too, your welder should be happy welding the material at first when learning too.
Once you understand what's happening and see what it looks like, you can ajudtment your machine and yourself for just about any job at hand.
I have taught many an engineer to weld, thus giving him valuable knowledge of Weldments . And this was how I would start him out. :thumbs:

#75 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 02:24 PM

Thanks again guys. I bought a tub of the Lincoln gel stuff. Heres a couple of photos of the welder and helmet. I haven't even had the helmet out of the package yet. Can you trust these auto darkening jobs?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28726[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]28727[/ATTACH]

I've wondered the same thing, and whether I could trust what little eyesite I have left to a HF hood? I read somewhere--I'll try to find it--that they have to meet some ANCI or OSHA std. and have dual sensors for safety in case the welders head angle is shielded from one of sensors, the other fires the lens somehow. It's a very, very important subject.