broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 12:13 PM

Al, I just noticed that you have some of those red magnetic clamps in the last picture. Do you have any thoughts on what size and type work best for you?

The red magnetic clamps are handy and have multiple angles on them for holding your work in different positions. One problem they can present is if they are to close to where your making your weld the magnetic field can make it difficult to get a nice weld. If I need to have one close to a weld I try to get the piece tacked down and then remove the magnet before finishing the weld.
  • Alc and vewatodo have said thanks

#17 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6294
  • 24 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 12:28 PM

My Son the Santa was nice to me and my grandson this year with a new Miller Mig 211. :bounce:Boy what a machine. I splurged and got the tanks and the spool gun for aluminum. We have a very cool arrangement with our welding supply dealer. He lives close to us so he will deliver what ever we need on the way home from his business. It don't get better than than that. I picked up a cart from Menards. The grandson and I built the tank support that is on it now. Worked out great. Made a roller bender mode for my compact bender to shape the metal into a ring and the Grandson did all the welding.

brackets welded.jpg

I hope this wasn't too much at one time :D One of the next projects will be to build a folding legs to mount the cast iron saw/welding table to.

Attached Thumbnails

• brackets installed before paint.jpg
  • compact bender ring roller setup.jpg
  • John preparing to weld a support bracket.jpg
  • New welder.jpg

• Craig. said thank you

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 03:06 PM

Thanks Don. That's a nice looking Miller Mig welder. I can see you are also using those magnetic clamps in the 4th picture. I can see I'm going to have to pick up a few of those.

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 03:07 PM

No pics of my stuff till I get the mess straightened up out there. If/when I do, I'll post some pics of my welding stuff. LOL

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 04:52 PM

Everyone has seen pics of the old Lincoln Arc 225's.
225.jpg

My hammers, picks, brushes, etc aren't anything special, and my torches are pretty much the same as anyone's, but it's this that I want to post.
GEDC2128 (Large).jpg

It is a portable welding & cutting vise. It doesn't look like much, but I use it all the time. The bottom is an old split rim off a dump truck, the upright is a chunk of driveshaft from the same vehicle. Small Oxwall 4" Vise on top. My Dad made the stand before I was born. He used to take it out to the fields or where ever he needed it. Gave it to me a couple years ago with no Vise on it. I found this vise at a Flea Market without a base for $5.

I use it with the grinder, torch, welder, etc. Anything that can make sparks that I can work on outside. The knock-off visegrips I bought at Harbor Freight & they do come in handy when you need to hold 3 things at once & tack them together. The quality of the Visegrips is everything you'd expect from where I bought them... still, a useful tool.

Good Idea on a thread Brian, I will be taking notes. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• GEDC2131 (Large).jpg
  • GEDC2130 (Large).jpg
  • GEDC2127 (Large).JPG

• Delmar, Utah Smitty, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 05:16 PM

Kenny, that looks like a Sears table saw top. I have one of those cast extensions that I could put to use as part of a welding setup. Thanks

Yepper, I have the rest of the saw, just needs a new shaft. It's a model 103.24241, old puppy.

#22 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 05:25 PM

I'd love to show y'all pics of my set up .But as you know ,my camera is not working.And I have not yet got an other one.

#23 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6294
  • 24 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 06:13 PM

MH81 going to have to keep my eyes open for one of those vice grip holder units. It is cool. Kind like a larger type you use for soldering.

#24 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 07:24 AM

I didn't dig mine out yesterday, I keep it in the house so the wire doesn't rust. I was going to weld a piece but I decided to do something different instead.

#25 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 07:44 AM

No pics of my stuff till I get the mess straightened up out there. If/when I do, I'll post some pics of my welding stuff. LOL

This was a good motivation to do a bit of clean up. First time in 2 months, that you could see the whole welding bench top.

That's what I wanted to show. It's 5ft x 6ft x 3/4" thick. You can beat on it, heat on it, weld stops to it for jigs or bending. The rest of the gear is just old junk.

Attached Thumbnails

• hitch-1 (1).jpg

#26 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 07:53 AM

Everyone has seen pics of the old Lincoln Arc 225's.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28039[/ATTACH]

My hammers, picks, brushes, etc aren't anything special, and my torches are pretty much the same as anyone's, but it's this that I want to post.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28036[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28035[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28038[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28037[/ATTACH]

It is a portable welding & cutting vise. It doesn't look like much, but I use it all the time. The bottom is an old split rim off a dump truck, the upright is a chunk of driveshaft from the same vehicle. Small Oxwall 4" Vise on top. My Dad made the stand before I was born. He used to take it out to the fields or where ever he needed it. Gave it to me a couple years ago with no Vise on it. I found this vise at a Flea Market without a base for $5.

I use it with the grinder, torch, welder, etc. Anything that can make sparks that I can work on outside. The knock-off visegrips I bought at Harbor Freight & they do come in handy when you need to hold 3 things at once & tack them together. The quality of the Visegrips is everything you'd expect from where I bought them... still, a useful tool.

Good Idea on a thread Brian, I will be taking notes. :D

Thanks for the pics Alan. I really like the idea of the vise on a post like that. The 2 pairs of visegrips are like a second pair of hands.

#27 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 07:57 AM

This was a good motivation to do a bit of clean up. First time in 2 months, that you could see the whole welding bench top.

That's what I wanted to show. It's 5ft x 6ft x 3/4" thick. You can beat on it, heat on it, weld stops to it for jigs or bending. The rest of the gear is just old junk.

Wil, thanks for the pictures. Having something that solid to work on must be a big bonus for larger work. You know the table isn't going to bend or shift on you. I've seen a couple of welding tables for sale locally. I almost went and got one that was a lot smaller than yours but did have a 3/4" top. It sold before I got there.

#28 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 08:04 AM

Wil, thanks for the pictures. Having something that solid to work on must be a big bonus for larger work. You know the table isn't going to bend or shift on you. I've seen a couple of welding tables for sale locally. I almost went and got one that was a lot smaller than yours but did have a 3/4" top. It sold before I got there.

Yes, big bonus. For instance, the handle for the mf7e 3pt. I drew the arc on the table with chalk, welded on some stops, welded the handle to the table, and started heating
and bending to the stops. When your done, you grind it clean again. It's bigger than need be, but the main thing is to be able to work around all sides.

#29 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 08:57 AM

But can you pick it up to move it? That must be pretty darn heavy, but I can see where it sure would be nice to have.

#30 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 11:42 AM

I use a Miller XMT 304 CC/CV power unit and a Miller dual feed gun unit. I picked up a TIG for it to. Just have not put it to use yet. Now that I am retired I will get time to do that.
Excuse the mess around here.
IMG_2533.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2527.jpg
  • IMG_2532.jpg
  • IMG_2530.jpg
  • IMG_2528.jpg

• Craig. said thank you