182 replies to this topic

#181 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 1,081 Thanks
  • 491 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 07:10 AM

Some nice,very nice set up fellas...some got a smoking deal(s) too! Lucky dawgs!

About 6 yrs ago I converted all my bottles to Thoroughbred from TSC...I still have one "pirate" bottle
Half full of acetylene but a full back up bottle. I am not the biggest fan of TSC but this certain store the manager let me trade in all of my pirate bottles, and they are open on the weekends plus 10 miles from my place. I did this just in time he told me, DOT laws were changing and so I did the conversion to Thoroughbred. I even got to trade up to the biggest bottles they had just pay the difference... Very glad I did!!!

Last year I went and got a full bottle of argon, the #6...300+ cf @ $99.00. It was around $50.00 last time I got a full one.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#182 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,526 Thanks
  • 5,462 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 01:03 PM

Can't post any pics of my welder.....since someone stole it out of my garage a few weeks ago.  :wallbanging:  :mad2:  :mad2:

• MFDAC said thank you

#183 glenford7502 OFFLINE  

glenford7502
  • Member No: 80830
  • 88 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted March 17, 2017 - 05:20 PM

Lots of nice setups on here wish I had a wire feeder. I do have a Miller legend gas powered welder generator that I like a lot. Number one it's dual purpose I live in Michigan so winter time power outages are apart of livening here. So instead of of haveing a generator that sits 90 percent of the year I use mine on off throughout the year. Another cool thing is that's it's an AC/DC welder and D.C. Stick welding is so much nicer than AC welding. Not that welding AC is bad cause it's not, people have been doing it for years and if you get AC specific rod it welds a lot nicer. Still want to get a older Miller 250 (pre solid state circuit boards) they are the best super durable. That being said anywelder is better than no welder. Just like a set of oxy-acetylene torch which I don't have wish I did. Had to cold bed 1/4"x2" flat into a piece of tube the other day not a lot of fun. As far as a welding table goes get as thick of a piece of steel as you can it will stay flared over time and you can tack things down to it to make jigs and such. I seen people useing old table saw table that is a great idea never thought about useing one of them before. They are cast and have lots of ribs made into the bottom of them so they are quite strong and won't warp very easy with heat. And just know there is always more than one way to skin cat and just because this works for me doesn't mean it'll work for you. Don't ever let someone say you can't build something as long as you have your mind and the will anything is possible good luck to you all in your fabricating projects. Sorry for be so long winded.
  • Alc, KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks