• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#166 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,501 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 10:37 AM

Here's mine. I brought it to work with me to practice with.

The guy bought it 20 years ago and used it once. It sat in a cabinet in his shop since. Sounds like a yeah right story I know but the original spool of wire it was sold with was still in it and not of it was much missing. 

It's set up for flux core but I'll be converting it soon. I bought the harbor freight fancy cart for it for when it's in my shop. How long do the short bottles last that you guys have?

20150119_230140.jpg

Same story with mine, guy bought to restore cars, then decided he like working on furniture better, there may have been a 1/4 spool of wire run through it.

Edited by toppop52, February 02, 2016 - 10:38 AM.

• devans said thank you

#167 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 01:35 PM

Devens , it really depends on how much welding you'll be doing. If you just do it every now and then , probably a year or more, but if your like me , you'll need the big tank. I go through a couple tanks a year( I think) , if I'm busy . I also use the 10b spool of wire. My 3rd one in about 10 yrs.

Edited by TomLGT195, February 02, 2016 - 01:35 PM.

• MFDAC and devans have said thanks

#168 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 01:49 PM

Devens , it really depends on how much welding you'll be doing. If you just do it every now and then , probably a year or more, but if your like me , you'll need the big tank. I go through a couple tanks a year( I think) , if I'm busy . I also use the 10b spool of wire. My 3rd one in about 10 yrs.

So you're running an 80 or 125 CF tank? I'm still trying to get the hang of bottle sizes, I was thinking of the one that's about 4 feet tall. I talked to a weld supply shop and they won't let me get the really big tank. Says I have to be a business. I didn't even ask he just blurted that out.

I have quite a few jobs in mind, all but one are small. The bigger job is welding new panels on my truck bed. The smaller jobs are tractor hobby related. 

#169 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 06:41 PM

So you're running an 80 or 125 CF tank? I'm still trying to get the hang of bottle sizes, I was thinking of the one that's about 4 feet tall. I talked to a weld supply shop and they won't let me get the really big tank. Says I have to be a business. I didn't even ask he just blurted that out.

I have quite a few jobs in mind, all but one are small. The bigger job is welding new panels on my truck bed. The smaller jobs are tractor hobby related. 

You can lease any size bottle. If that is his attitude, I'd find another supplier!

• HDWildBill and devans have said thanks

#170 EricR ONLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 07:30 PM

Devans, Yeah I would recommend 95 cubic feet "cylinder", (yes I fill these for a living) and that would give you the most bang for the dollar, now the bigger one is a 147 cubic foot cylinder and would last longer but you buy what you can afford!!!!

• MFDAC, HDWildBill and devans have said thanks

#171 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 08:12 PM

11 years ago when I bought my little torch setup I just leased the bottles. 5 years later I got the re-new notice for what I thought was a pretty high priced deal. I was recuperating from an illness and had a lot of extra bills so I had time and reason to think about this some instead of just rushing a check to them. It only cost me about 25 more dollars to buy the bottles outright and never have to buy THEM new bottles every 5 years any more. When I converted the welder I didn't even consider a lease. The welding supply shop said that the larger size bottles cannot be purchased but as a hobbyist leasing them made no sense so small ones work fine for me. When I go get them "filled" they still just exchange them for full ones anyway so it works great for my situation!

DAC

• devans said thank you

#172 EricR ONLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 08:22 PM

Oh and I almost forgot here is my blow them apart and put it back together gang, lol!!

Shoptools.jpg

• MFDAC, BNK and devans have said thanks

#173 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 09:12 AM

You can lease any size bottle. If that is his attitude, I'd find another supplier!

Unfortunately there aren't any other suppliers, the name on the door might be different but as I understand it Airgas bought up the competition so ultimately I'm stuck.

#174 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 09:16 AM

EricR,

Thanks I've been leaning towards the 80CF tank. I think my brother in law uses that size and he doesn't have to fill it very often and he does vehicle repair work on the side.

That's a nice setup you've got.

• EricR said thank you

#175 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 03:42 PM

Devans, I have one only 24" high . I started out with the smallest, and  have gone up 3 sizes. I have the same issue here with the 4' tank, lease it unless you own a business. I used to trade in my tank ( which I own outright) and the guy would give me credit when i upsized and only charge me the difference in the bigger size. Last time i went to do that ( still one size larger that i can own), they changed policy , and wouldn't let me do that.  I believe price of gas is the same, no matter the size, it's about how often you want  to go back and get a refill.

• MFDAC and HDWildBill have said thanks

#176 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 08:51 PM

I hope this isn't considered a hi-jack as it is a "back in the day" post about welding helmets. Mom had this gold leaf coated lens that her brother (Buddy in her description) gave her to view solar eclipse's. He was a welder-fabricator then later head of the department for the Homestake Gold mine in Lead, SD. Just thought it may be of interest to some of you.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Gold leaf welding lense 002.jpg
  • Gold leaf welding lense 003.jpg
  • Gold leaf welding lense 004.jpg

• HDWildBill, EricR, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#177 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 08:53 PM

My sister bought me a new welder today for all the work I have done on her car my old broke several years back.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#178 PGHsteelworker OFFLINE  

PGHsteelworker
  • Member No: 50166
  • 89 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 11:00 PM

I've had this size for better than 25 years and they exchange it no problem. It does last a long time. I have a 150 cu. ft. as a backup cylinder.

20160202_152037.jpg  

Edited by PGHsteelworker, February 05, 2016 - 07:46 PM.

#179 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 05:13 PM

It nothing fancy but it better than having no welder

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• MFDAC, michael.kitko, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#180 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 10:45 PM

Some nice,very nice set up fellas...some got a smoking deal(s) too! Lucky dawgs!
  • toppop52 said thank you