Show us your welding setups folks

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#151 limebuzz ONLINE  

• Member No: 795
  • 822 Thanks
  • 860 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 04:45 PM

I have always used a old school helmet myself,till this summer I has to weld something at the inlaws house. I forgot my helmaet so the mother in law slid into town and grabbed one for me for payment. I don't know why anybody th welds does not have one. It takes a bit to get used to(keep wanting to flip it the shield up after welding). Great invention
  • olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#152 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,634 Thanks
  • 39,004 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 04:50 PM

I love all 3 of mine!

• limebuzz, BNK and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#153 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,225 Thanks
  • 29,691 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 06:15 PM

Yes, I love the auto helmets!  One of mine broke the head band assembly, so I bought a new one.  Nice having one so clean & it works better than the older one.

• limebuzz, BNK and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#154 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,348 Thanks
  • 886 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 08:58 AM

I would never use a cheap auto darkening helmet. My Praxair shield lens died after 10 years. I tried a cheap Lincoln, brought it right back after getting flashed 3 times the same day. Vendor did not seem surprised.  A good replacement auto lens is north of $100. Meanwhile you can buy auto lens all day on ebay for $5.00 or $25 for complete shield and the flashy graphics. You get what you pay for.

I bought a Speedglas shield. The clarity is excellent! Buy a manual shield or wait until you can afford a top of the line shield. Speedglas, Hobart, Jackson  or risk your eyesight for $39 JMHO

Edited by Jazz, February 01, 2016 - 09:25 AM.

• MFDAC, EricR, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#155 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,261 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 09:06 AM

I've had the Speedglas 100 for about 6 yrs and it's been great for their bottom of the line. No solar charger and I haven't had to change the batt yet I guess because it has auto shutoff.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 09:40 AM

I've had the Speedglas 100 for about 6 yrs and it's been great for their bottom of the line. No solar charger and I haven't had to change the batt yet I guess because it has auto shutoff.

You will know when to change the batteries, your screen will start blinking on you but no flashing to harm your eyes...at least that's what my Speedglas will do. I'm thinking it uses two CR 3032 batteries?

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 09:48 AM

I bought my first gas-less mig welder about 20 years ago and it worked well for me. The transformer shorted out on it a few years ago, so I bought a cheap one from Princess Auto (Canada's version of Harbour freight). It has worked well for me as well, but is not quite as powerful as the first one was. I decided I was going to get myself an arc welder this year for the heavier work and started putting money away to get one. Canadian Tire has the Lincoln 225 on sale this week and I pointed it out to my wife. My birthday is coming up next month, so she gave me the money I was short as an early birthday gift (yes she is a keeper, we have been with each other for over 20 years). I just read through this entire thread to get ideas on how to set up a portable work area and I got a lot of good ideas. I just want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Be advised, the new Lincoln "tombstone" buzzboxes 225's the windings on the transformer are now wound with aluminum not copper. They duty time is less. The older units are tough and longer duty cycle.
  • michael.kitko and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#158 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,358 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 05:26 PM

I love my Jackson 4x5 auto shield and my Miller shield I have at work. Both work awsome!

#159 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 73571
  • 897 Thanks
  • 582 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 05:26 PM

Thanks Jazz and BNK. I have a good manual shield now, so I will stick with that for the time being. I will just be using the welder for projects around home, so for the price I think I can live with the reduced duty cycle, but thank you for the heads up.

#160 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,738 Thanks
  • 2,157 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Just found this thread, Here's my setup, my helmet, welder and plasma cutter. I too bought the best auto darkening I could afford, based on how much I use it.

IMG_1843.jpg IMG_1844.jpg IMG_1845.jpg

• Alc, MFDAC and propane1 have said thanks

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 1,864 Thanks
  • 1,056 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 08:52 PM

Great looking setup Tom! I bought the welder from a CL ad around '07. It was just set up for flux wire then. The red cabinet it sets on came from the scrap yard and I built a little dolly with casters for it to sit on.

About 2 or 3 years ago I finally worked up the nerve to try to price out setting it up with gas, and rounding up the stuff on line was way cheaper than I expected. Buying the bottle was the only part that hurt some. This little 220V welder seems to work much better than big Lincoln's at my job.

I have been using the cheapest auto-dark helmet I could get---"Speedway" brand for at least 10 years and it still seems to work great and I still see better than my wife and most guys I work with! I still have to cut using a torch but hope to get a plasma cutter someday.

Attached Thumbnails

• welder 6-16-14 001.jpg
  • Linclon 155 020.jpg
  • Linclon 155 018.jpg
  • Linclon 155 019.jpg
  • welding helmet 004.jpg
  • torch.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, February 01, 2016 - 08:53 PM.

• limebuzz, Alc and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#162 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

• Member No: 28357
  • 460 Thanks
  • 439 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 09:51 PM

That is a nice little set-up...
  • MFDAC said thank you

#163 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,216 Thanks
  • 3,207 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 10:11 PM

I paid $100 for everything, the bottle had never been filled, 2 spools of wire, a bunch of nozzles, chipping hammer, helmet, gloves, etc...

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• limebuzz, Alc, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#164 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 863 Thanks
  • 720 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 01:40 AM

I have a 3m speedglas, helmet I really like it. But I also have an eBay one I paid 15 dollars for it does the job too and I never get flashed, I used it at work 8 hrs a day for awhile also

#165 devans OFFLINE  

• Member No: 68585
  • 361 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 07:59 AM

Here's mine. I brought it to work with me to practice with.

The guy bought it 20 years ago and used it once. It sat in a cabinet in his shop since. Sounds like a yeah right story I know but the original spool of wire it was sold with was still in it and not of it was much missing. 

It's set up for flux core but I'll be converting it soon. I bought the harbor freight fancy cart for it for when it's in my shop. How long do the short bottles last that you guys have?

• MFDAC, TomLGT195, toppop52 and 1 other said thanks