• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flip OFFLINE  

flip

• Member No: 4705
  • 1 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 12:26 PM

I have a new (30 hours I guess) PTO clutch. Running my snowblower after a few hours it has started throwing less distance and plugging up. Sometimes it will not spin when I switch it on.
Would you guys guess it needs adjustment? Is it possible my voltage is being drained by the lights on my tractor?
I need instructions on how to adjust it if that seems the problem. Of course it is coated in snow now.

Any ideas?

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 07:15 PM

We need more info on which tractor you have before anyone can attempt to help with the adjustment. If the battery voltage is dropping low enough it will cause your clutch to slip and possibly drop out all together. You need to measure the battery voltage when this occurs to see if that is the case. You could also have a bad connection somewhere in the clutch circuit that is causing the voltage at the clutch to drop. Check the wiring to the clutch, pto switch and the connection from the motor body back to the battery.

#3 flip OFFLINE  

flip

• 1 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 07:19 AM

It is a 316 Onan. I will dig in to see if perhaps the ground has worked loose.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 07:37 AM

As far as adjustment goes the manual says to set the gap for the clutch to .018". To do this you insert a feeler gauge in each of the 3 slots in the side of the clutch and turn the 3 mounting nuts to get the required clearance in all 3 gaps. It only takes a few minutes if you haven't checked it yet. The PTO switch can be a problem area as well. If the switch is the same as the older 300's the connections get corroded where the terminals are riveted onto the back of the switch. You can repair them. Heres a thread where I repair the switch on my 314 http://gardentractor...ch-repair-7149/
  • flip said thank you

#5 flip OFFLINE  

flip

• 1 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 12:18 PM

Thanks. THe clutch was loose. I was surprised how easy that was. Of course less easy due to 4 degree temps. My barn is way too big to heat easily. I need a small workshop.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 02:40 PM

That's an easy fix, frozen fingers aside! I am planing to build an insulated small addition onto my crowded and unheated garage so I can close off a small area to work in without it costing a small fortune for heat.