best turbo size for 904 cc yanmar?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dieselfume OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8220
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 09:19 AM

going to put a turbo on my 2012 polaris ranger. it's got the 904 cc yanmar rated at 24 hp. I'd like to get 5-7 more hp out of it without spending $2800 on PPE's turbo kit.

I use this machine every day, so cheap reliable power is key for me. I've been looking at the garrett GT1241 turbo, the IHI RHB31 ($250 ebay turbo) or an IHI rhb4 off of a 2 liter skid steer engine. the garrett turbo is what PPE uses in their kit, but also seems to be the most expencive turbo of the bunch too. I don't have alot of room either, so I've been leaning towards the rhb3, but I don't want to ask more of this turbo than it can handle on a relable basis (foot to the floor almost all the time)

I'm open to any suggestions, and would really appreciate your imput! maybe some of you have a small turbo around you wanna get rid of?

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,525 Thanks
  • 3,779 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 09:40 AM

Here is what a guy told me at Plow days. If you PM me I can get you more information.

"I dont think that would be too small. The one on my 332 is too big and its even smaller than that one. 430 has more displacement so it might be ok.

Yes, the housing are different per the spec. The spec is the VZ21.

You wont find them cheaper than that unless its used. For the oil supply side you can get a banjo bolt with restrictor hole on ebay as well and the banjo has a -4an fitting where you can attached a braided steel line. Get a 1/8" npt to -4an adaptor and thread that into the block where your oil pressure switch is. May need to run a 1/8" npt tap in as the threads are kind of tight on the engine.

You can buy the flanges on ebay as well but make sure they have the same bolt pattern as yours, some look close but only use 3 bolts vs 4.

I was making 4-5psi boost on the pulling sled at the plow day, have seen up to 10psi with a LOT of load and a lot of black smoke.

Would like to see 4-5 while plowing etc, but the turbo is too big for that.

I will turbo my 430 engine if I put it in something. "