• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 07:44 AM

Saw this ad and wanted you folks' opinion on this gun. I have used suction feed guns before, but no gravity feed. Steve, (my redheaded step-child), has used this type before and thought it was okay. I hope my compressor will work with it.Flow Rate: 11.5 SCFM @ 40 PSI, 10.2 SCFM @ 90 PSI,
Only have till Sunday to get it.
HF Paint Gun.jpg

#2 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 08:20 AM

Really like it. Cheap enough to toss if it gets really clogged up. One of the few things I buy from HF.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 08:34 AM

That's my opinion. Worth a try. I have a large hood for my GTV/16 to paint and this would make it look much better. I think they also sell a gun cleaning kit for these. Plus, I have Steve's expertise to help learning about it. Thanks!

#4 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 08:35 AM

The LP in HVLP is for low pressure. No worries on the amount of air needed - it's not much. What is important is that you have a decent pressure regulator and that the air is nice and dry. Use the drain underneath the tank and/or put an air dryer in line.

You can't go wrong for $10. I got one from home depot last year on a gift card for my birthday and I've been pleased with it. You get 2 guns and all the goodies. Some of the thicker paints, like a "buildable" primer won't go well through hvlp.

Well, guess what, the thing isn't on the HD site anymore. Come to think about it, it may have been a discontinued item which explains the good deal. I got this gun (link) and another non-HVLP gravity feed kit for $80. Nice plastic case for everything. This one in the link is for $50 now.
Search Results for husky paint at The Home Depot

#5 Wendell Rider OFFLINE  

Wendell Rider

• Member No: 7835
  • 7 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 08:47 AM

These guns work great, even the cheap ones. You can get different sizes to spray heavier materials like primer/filler. You'll really be pleased by how much less overspray these guns make. I use a cheap one for primer and a better one for paint.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 08:49 AM

Thanks, Dean. I've been looking at the one's at Lowes and drooling. May pick up the small one from there later on. For thicker paint, I have an older Binks suction feed that does pretty good. Been a while since I broke it out, maybe this year.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 09:03 AM

These guns work great, even the cheap ones. You can get different sizes to spray heavier materials like primer/filler. You'll really be pleased by how much less overspray these guns make. I use a cheap one for primer and a better one for paint.

My brother did auto body work for 30 yrs and just like you say. He used the HVLP from Harbor Freight for primers, said it could not be beat for the price.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 09:18 AM

Fred (Meangreen) has the very same gun. I painted his JD430 with it.....excellent gun!

#9 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 10:27 AM

I bought the twin gun set $50 for 2 guns a large a a small one. Come with 4 & 7 mm nozzles for heavier materials and the cleaning tools all in a plastic case.
Love the gun.

#10 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 03:39 PM

I had one of those guns it worked great until i left the gun soak in laquer thinner overnight and it melted the plastic knob on the side.Well needless to say i'm on my 2nd one and i would buy another.I used mine to spray top coat and clear coat.They work great,and you can't beat the price.

#11 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 03:40 PM

I received a set of the HF guns for my anniversary. Small gun has 1.0 tip, large one has 1.4 and 1.8. Came with cleaning kit and storage case. You may want to also get a stand for it.

#12 Hammer OFFLINE  

Hammer

• Member No: 7332
  • 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 05:05 PM

I have a cheapie like that but for primer only. For color and clear I use a Devlbliss, and it has a much nicer pattern and coverage. But if your gonna do a single stage it will do ok, not great.

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 05:45 PM

I picked up one today. Got a stand for it too. Doubt I'll be using it for two stage, not going for show quality here. Just make things look a bit better. These are working girls.

#14 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 06:57 PM

Dont forget the correct respirator!

I thought I was dieing until I realized that it was massey ferguson red coming out my nose and not blood red. :D

#15 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 07:58 AM

I picked up one today. Got a stand for it too. Doubt I'll be using it for two stage, not going for show quality here. Just make things look a bit better. These are working girls.

Kenny, I've had two of those and they work fine. Be sure to pick up extra filters that lie inside the "tank"-to-gun fitting. The little screens seem to blow out in cleaning, but other than that they work fine.--Lee
  • KennyP said thank you