10 replies to this topic

#1 Oldmcgee OFFLINE  

Oldmcgee

• Member No: 8216
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 11:05 PM

Greetings,
I'm looking at a Bolens QT 16 and am wondering when this tractor might have been made and whether it is a good machine or not. Full disclosure: I'm not very mechanical; just like tractors. Anyway, it comes with a twin cylinder Onan engine,hydraulics ,electric pto, hydrauliic 54 inch deck, three point roto tiller, and a snowplow. The seller mentions that "there are not many large frames with a three-point hitch." I'm not sure what that implies. He wants $2000 for it.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 05:56 AM

Welcome to GTT! :wave:

If you have a picture you can post of the tractor that would help determine the value.
The QT16 was made from 1973-1978. They are pretty durable machines.

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 11:06 PM

Greetings,
I'm looking at a Bolens QT 16 and am wondering when this tractor might have been made and whether it is a good machine or not. Full disclosure: I'm not very mechanical; just like tractors. Anyway, it comes with a twin cylinder Onan engine,hydraulics ,electric pto, hydrauliic 54 inch deck, three point roto tiller, and a snowplow. The seller mentions that "there are not many large frames with a three-point hitch." I'm not sure what that implies. He wants $2000 for it.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

They are good tractors but the PTO can not be gotten anymore.I would guess by your discription it does not have a 3 point just a tiller as all the bolens tillers for this tractor were not a 3 point tiller as alot of people are mislead about.I would say that the deck is a 48 inch not a 54 as those did not come out until later for this tractor but that is a guess without seeing it or a model number from it.Parts are still out there for it just hard to find and the onan can be costly if in need of work sometimes.

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 11:34 PM

According to my attachment guide:

There was a 3-pt hitch, PN 19200, available for the QT/QS series.

There was a 54" deck available, but only for the late production runs, 07-11, of the QT17.

Like bhts said, it PROBABLY doesn't have a 3-pt, but it is possible. He's also correct about the tiller. It would not be a 3-pt attachment.

#5 Oldmcgee OFFLINE  

Oldmcgee

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 10:13 AM

Welcome to GTT! :wave:

If you have a picture you can post of the tractor that would help determine the value.
The QT16 was made from 1973-1978. They are pretty durable machines.

Thanks for the information. I have not been able to get a photo from the seller.

#6 Oldmcgee OFFLINE  

Oldmcgee

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 10:15 AM

They are good tractors but the PTO can not be gotten anymore.I would guess by your discription it does not have a 3 point just a tiller as all the bolens tillers for this tractor were not a 3 point tiller as alot of people are mislead about.I would say that the deck is a 48 inch not a 54 as those did not come out until later for this tractor but that is a guess without seeing it or a model number from it.Parts are still out there for it just hard to find and the onan can be costly if in need of work sometimes.

Thank you very much for the information. This tractor may be more complicated than I can handle.

#7 Oldmcgee OFFLINE  

Oldmcgee

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for the confirmation of the information. This is probably a more complicated tractor with which I can cope.

#8 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 10:38 AM

No problem. It's not a hard tractor to work on so don't be worried about that and it is a good setup to start with.Most parts can be gotton for it but will require used stuff on some of it.

#9 Oldmcgee OFFLINE  

Oldmcgee

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 08:43 PM

No problem. It's not a hard tractor to work on so don't be worried about that and it is a good setup to start with.Most parts can be gotton for it but will require used stuff on some of it.

Okay, good to know about the parts options. Thank you again for the reply.

#10 1adamb OFFLINE  

1adamb

• Member No: 4424
  • 2 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 12:38 AM

just so you know, I was able to get a brand new electric PTO for my QT-16 at Rays in boyertown, PA. I forget the price but I believe it was $250 +

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 05:40 AM

Hey ,that's great news.