wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,714 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 05:32 AM

Don't worry Kenny, You aren't the only one wanting to see the bumper. I will start taking pics tomorrow. The main bumper part is 4 inch by 5 inch box tubing about 2 foot long lol.

#17 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 408 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 08:49 AM

That looks good for reinforcement. The only other idea I'd have to offer is to put a piece of angle or channel to reinforce the top edge of the back plate. I'd think you'd have to lift something really heavy to bend it as-is though.

#18 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 299 Thanks
  • 424 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 01:08 PM

Nice work Casey. Can't wait to see it in it's entirety.

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,714 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 02:37 PM

That looks good for reinforcement. The only other idea I'd have to offer is to put a piece of angle or channel to reinforce the top edge of the back plate. I'd think you'd have to lift something really heavy to bend it as-is though.

That was the original plan, was to weld angle iron wings to the channel to spread the load out over the back plate's top edge. I had been procrastinating that as much as possible because it was going to be tough to keep it in square without bolting it along the top edge. So in my procrastination I thought of all these different ways to reinforce the top edge, until I thought about that slantback being back there still. It is the same thickness material on a slant, so a slight advantage strengthwise, but how to hook to it was my only thought, and when you ask it with hook in the question, you get a hook in the answer and go from there lol. It's even better when you start digging through what you have and find all the right pieces and the whole project ends up taking less than 20 minutes, and that is less time than it takes me to get everything set up and prepared (cut and grind) for welding.