24 replies to this topic

#1 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 11:18 PM

I guess this thread could go under hobbies too, but since I'm harvesting a crop and there isn't much gardening going on in the winter I'll put it here
Is there any body else in the club that makes your own maple syrup?
I started digging out my supplies and cleaning them up, I think it might come early this year.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 11:31 PM

I did as a kid, enjoyed spending time with Dad, boiling it down... But never had much of a taste for it.

My Uncle who lived near Centerburg OH had a pretty big Sap House and sold it for many years.

I work with a guy who has a cracked bucket he hangs out on the telephone pole in front of his house. People ask him what it's for, he tells them he's tapping the phone line. (roll eyes here)

#3 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 11:59 PM

My inlaws have a decent sized operation in NY. My wife grew up in the sugar house; her family has been making syrup since her Great-Grandparents had the farm.

#4 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 07:24 AM

I think what they sell in the stores is what they call pole sap [ comes from tapping telephone poles ], all molasses and a little maple flavor

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 08:21 AM

I said above that I wasn't big on the flavor, I should amend that. I do enjoy it when used in cooking. Glazing plain wings with real maple syrup and baking them in the oven is a favorite of mine.

#6 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 10:41 AM

never made it but love eating it . a coworker makes it and it sure makes a pancake worth eating

#7 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 12:05 PM

Grew up sugaring with my grandfather, some of the best family times we ever had centered around sugaring season. Did some back yard sugaring for a few years with a friend until recently, lost our access to trees to tap, so sold off my equipment..:confuse: Now wish I'd kept the pans, I'd like to do it again.

#8 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 12:15 PM

A friend and I did it one year. It takes a heck of a lot of beer to boil down that much sap. Kind of like watching paint dry, but it tasts great.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 01:33 PM

A friend and I did it one year. It takes a heck of a lot of beer to boil down that much sap. Kind of like watching paint dry, but it tasts great.

That's interesting Dan. I've never known of anyone in Iowa harvesting Maple Syrup. I have been down to the Maasdam Farm in Sully and watched them make Sourgham Syrup. Their Grinder/crusher and boiling pans are powered/Heated with a Steam Engine.

#10 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 02:00 PM

Get this, in Russia they don't even know what maple syrup is, they tap birch trees for thier syrup! Crazy , my wife didn't like it at first, but doesn't mind it now, but her mom likes the birch stuff better, I tried it, and its not as sweet , and has a spicy kind of flavor, actually pretty tasty if you like that birch beer or almost like rootbeer flavor.

#11 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 05:01 PM

We have a few Maple trees down here. There are quite a few sugar shacks in NE Iowa infact one is right by a trout stream I fish a lot. Our County Conservation Board puts on a demo every spring. I don't think there are any real large outfits just home brewed for their own use or for a few jars at the farmers market. When we did it we collected about 60 gal. It was a lot of work for no more than we got, but what else are you going to do that time of year?

#12 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 11:01 PM

Get this, in Russia they don't even know what maple syrup is, they tap birch trees for thier syrup! Crazy , my wife didn't like it at first, but doesn't mind it now, but her mom likes the birch stuff better, I tried it, and its not as sweet , and has a spicy kind of flavor, actually pretty tasty if you like that birch beer or almost like rootbeer flavor.

In Alaska they tap alot of birch, it takes a whole lot more birch sap to get a pint of syrup, than maple. One of my favorite tractor show beverages is home made birch beer, we usually make 10 or 15 gallon every summer

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 09:09 AM

What is the production ratio on Maple Syrup. 10 gal. sap/1gal syrup?

#14 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 03:31 PM

I don't get that high a ratio, I think it varies some depending on the type maples you have, like around here sugar maples aren't really native so out of black, silver maples I get about a quart to 10 gal of sap

#15 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 04:07 PM

What is the production ratio on Maple Syrup. 10 gal. sap/1gal syrup?

Wish it was that good!! Sugar maples run anywhere from 32-40+ gallons of sap to a gallon of syrup. Red & Silver etc have an even lower sugar content, usually closer to 50 to 1.
That is a lot of boiling, adult beverage, wood and time to make a gallon of syrup for the average back yard operation.