Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I want to make my farmall A have hydralics!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted May 26, 2010 - 02:59 PM

Hello everyone,
I recently bought a 1941 farmall A tractor. The previous owner had a homemade plow blade on the front and it was basically a hydrallic cylinder that had 1 line that went to a hydrallic pump that was spun by a belt off the fan pulley. 2 lines come out the back of the pump and goto a up/down lever by the steering wheel. I was wondering if anyone has made a 3pt hitch system using a setup like this. I got ideas but dont know where to find a cheap hydralic cylinder? what cylinder would be good enough for the job, or where to buy lines. I paid $800 for the machine so I dont need to spend a fortune doing this project. I have a set of arms already and i would like to make the cylinder mount in the front of the tractor for winter, in the rear for the 3 pt hitch, and eventually in the middle for a mower. It would have quick disconnects kinda like a myers truck plow blade so I would run lines to the 3 different cylinder mount locations on the machine and be able to take the cylinder of with a few bolts or pins and swap it to the heeded location, quick connect to the line and go about my work! What does everyone think?? Will it work? am I nuts? Any pics or ideas would be great! thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Farmall A rearvie&.jpg
  • farmall A side sh.jpg
  • Farmall A side sh&.jpg

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 26, 2010 - 03:22 PM

That sure is in good condition fonz. I've got my eye on a 1948 Farmall Cub at the moment. Hydraulics aren't my strong point so I will let someone else answer.

Edited by mjodrey, May 26, 2010 - 04:19 PM.

#3 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted May 26, 2010 - 06:37 PM

Just a few thoughts on your project. The Farmall A never had a factory 3 point hitch. The Farmall super A had a factory hydraulic system with a hydraulic powered rockshaft located just ahead of the battery location, and under the fuel tank. If you search the net for pictures of a super A you should find some pictures of what that system looked like. The Farmall super A front, mid and rear implements all were lifted from this rockshaft by linkages or rods. Farmalls answer to Ford's patented three point hitch was a one point "fast hitch ". There are companies ( worksaver is one) that make a three point hitch conversion for the super A, but you need the super A lift system to go with their conversion to make it work or fab up your own. The three point hitch conversion may give you some ideas to start with.
What cylinder you need will depend on what you design and how much you want to lift with it and how much pressure your hydraulic pump puts out. Hydraulic hoses assemblies are not that expensive at farm stores, I don't know how expensive metal hydraulic line and fittings would be.
All in all your project could be built but it will take quite a bit of fabrication on your part. It all depends on how much time, money and effort you want to put into the project. To put the super A hydraulic system on your tractor you would have to find the complete rockshaft assembly and change the engine block to mount the factory hydraulic pump. I'm not sure if your present hydraulic pump could power the farmall rockshaft or not.
You can always design your own lift system that mounts however you want and get the job done. Your current hydraulic pump may have enouigh pressure for what you are doing. A new 3x8 hydraulic cylinder isn't to expensive, check some farm stores or surplus hydraulic places.
Good luck on your project, it would be a challenge but a neat project to do!

Edited by tractormike, May 26, 2010 - 06:59 PM.

#4 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted May 26, 2010 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for the info, your very knowlegable on this machine. As far as my current hydraulic pump being strong enough to lift attachments I would haft to say it should. I did see the homemade snow plow that was on the machine and it wasn't a light attachment. In my family we do have a cub lowboy 185 and a farmall cub with mower deck. Both have that center pivot your talking about. So I plan to copy alot of thatn when I do begin this project. Fabrication will be the biggest thing. I am mechanically incline and can do alot of things but welding isn't one of them. Luckily my brother inlaws dad owns a huge steel fab shop and he welds well. So the hardest part will be making the parts at the fab shop and hoping they fit once i get home to my barn. I probably wont start the project for a few months, just trying to get ideas and pics of some home fabricated setups so I can kinda see that its been done before and how people went about doing it all. So any further pics or info would be great. Thanks again tractormike.

#5 dyt4000 OFFLINE  

dyt4000

• Contributor
  • Member No: 405
  • 17 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted May 28, 2010 - 02:32 PM

Ford's patented three point hitch

Actually, that was Harry Ferguson's patented design...

In 1914 Ferguson began to sell American tractors but, finding them heavy and dangerous to operate, he designed and built a new plough which was coupled to the tractor in three-point linkage, so that both formed a single unit. This Ferguson System, patented in 1926, was to revolutionise farming.

Edited by dyt4000, May 28, 2010 - 02:38 PM.

#6 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted May 28, 2010 - 07:13 PM

Actually, that was Harry Ferguson's patented design...

Your right, my mistake, sorry, Mike